Ramblings of a Hopeful Poet | Teen Ink

Ramblings of a Hopeful Poet MAG

By ÁineDjoli BRONZE, Marshall, North Carolina
ÁineDjoli BRONZE, Marshall, North Carolina

Hurricane Angel

I am Woman hear me roar

Watch me soar

The sky is torn

Open

Thunder claps highlighting

The rain pelts, falls in sheets

Soaking my skin, hair suctions

To my face

My throat drinks, water droplets

Pouring over my tongue

The lightning strikes

Silhouetting jagged wings

Sprouted from my back, beating the 

Wind

I am a storm

A beast

A monster

A hurricane angel

Mountain Girl

I am a mountain girl through, and through

I love the ocean but my roots are here, buried under the dirt with the maples and the pines

Not all those who wander forgot,

I remember the rivers, the woods, the peaks and valleys

They are in my blood

They are in my bones

You can see the wild when I dance in the rain

You can hear the ancient when I sing to the trees

And even if I die in the sky, you will find me resting on the moss floor

Flowers in my hair 

Bugs between my toes

Forever a part of the mountain mother who made me

Forever dreaming among the tall canopy

I have been writing poetry for three years now, and the more I write the more I feel I learn about myself and the world. Often it feel as if the poetry isn't mine, but something being created through me.

Both of these poems that I'm submitting are quite personal, in a way.

The first, Hurrican Angel, is really about how to be powerful as a young woman. Something I've learned is sometimes the most powerful thing I can do is lose my calm, my composure, and just let go. There is power and grace in being a "beast" or a "monster". What the world deems as powerful, or strong isn't necessarily right. Be a hurricane angel, not a perfect angel.

The second, Mountain Girl, talks about my connection to where I've grown up. I live in the Blue Rdige, Appalachian mountains of North Carolina. It's an extremely beautiful place with a very rich history. But for me personally, I feel as if the wild of the mountains runs through my veins, as if I'm a part of them. To put it simply; you can take the girl out of the mountains, but you can never, ever, take the mountains out of the girl.