someday we will have our wings | Teen Ink

someday we will have our wings MAG

By oracle-of-nonsense PLATINUM, Winnabow, North Carolina
oracle-of-nonsense PLATINUM, Winnabow, North Carolina

"We are born with two incurable diseases -- life, from which we die; and hope, which says maybe death isn’t the end."
- Andrew Greeley

when i was young, i wanted to be a bird

[we loved
because we were children
and didn't know about sin yet.
when we played house,
you made a dinner of weeds and acorns
while i rocked the baby to sleep.
we dreamed of flying
and neverland.]

when i was older, i settled for being a pilot
[we loved
secretly, because we were sinners
and what we wanted was hated by god.
but when you sneaked into my room,
you made me forget, with weed and muttered arguments,
that our happiness was evil.
we dreamed of escape
and los angeles.]
now, i don't believe in compromise – i will not settle for borrowed wings
[we love
because we have no fear of the sun,
and we no longer believe in sin.
our house is hazily scented
with the incense of aged hopes and dreams,
burning softly with the knowledge that our time will come.
we dream of wedding bands
and the laughter of our children.]

Carefully (because I'm not homosexual, and don't want to write an untrue or inaccurate poem) written from the perspective of a homosexual couple (either gender) from childhood to adulthood. I realize that the likelihood of two people staying together for that long is small, but it was an idea I liked. I can be [that word that's the opposite of romantic] if I want.
Aside from being a sort-of love-poem-story, it's also another in my recent stream of political-ish poetry. It's a protest, against the ridiculous inequality and prejudice that homosexual couples have to go through.

Booshay777 BRONZE, Madawaska, Maine

"Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game."

I must say that your poem got me thinking about how people have formed their view on things, like how we try to fit in with society even if it goes against our religion. On weekends were viewed as this church girl/boy but as monday comes around were viewed as an everyday person tied in with what the world wants us to be.

EleanorRigby PLATINUM, New York City, New York

"The optomist proclaims we live in the best of worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell

You wrote this in a very interesting way, most of the poem's main lines being in parenthesis. I think it adds a unique flow, and I like it. I also thought it could apply to many couples, homosexual or not, although I see how you incorporated those homosexual elements. Job well done

- Andrew Greeley

Yeah, I had a few people tell me that this poem is very universal, that it is the story of any two lovers who aren't supposed love each other. It wasn't my intention, but I'm very glad it turned out that way. I'm also glad that you found it beautiful and inspiring, because that was, really, what I wanted it to be. Thank you so much for commenting. :)

thewriteidea DIAMOND, Pleasanton, California

"Don't cry that it's over, smile because it has happened."

I read the desciption you had before I read the actual poem, and boy did it make a difference! When I first started reading the poem, although it was extremely well-written, I couldn't figure out what it had to do with homosexuals. Not until the end did I notice the connection. Then, I reread it and noticed some more. This is one of my favorite poems because on the outside, with the language and imagery you used, it was beautiful. But the inside and the story you created was also beautiful, and really made me think. Thank you so much for writing such an inspiring piece. Check out some of my work, too if you'd like. Keep writing and GREAT job!

monkee21 SILVER, LaBelle, Florida

"Decide that you want it more than you fear it."

i love this poem. you did an amazing job. and i agree with you one hundred percent about the unfair inequality towards the gay community. keep on writing!:)