Summer Nights in Algeria | Teen Ink

Summer Nights in Algeria

By Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love.
Henry Drummond

The night sky over there is like a sky in your dreams
With that deep royal-blue color
And the stars twinkling above

The children take delight in this
And laugh & play under the night sky
With their handmade toys

Inside, the place smells of
Rosewater cookies and mint tea
For the bride and her family
Good wishes swing through the hot air.

The wedding dresses are in a corner
They are exported from all over the world
Handmade and sewn to perfection
Chiffon
Silks
Brocades
All the colors of the rainbow

This is the Algeria that I have lived in
This is the Algeria that I know

You, with your pompous attitude, will never know this place
Will never know who I am
Unless you open your mind
And leave the stereotypes behind
Forget about what you knew before
Forget what was said

Open your mind, my dear
To a place that only a few know of
Summer Nights in Algeria

This was actually inspired by all the stereotypes that people have about Algeria, my home country.

Aderes47 GOLD said...
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Henry Drummond

I've already forgotten about him. :) 

That is so rude!! I don't understand how people think it's OK to insult someone's country in front of their face. I would never do it! 

You know what you should tell those British kids:If our country is so dangerous, why did you come here? 

Those kids are dumb. India is not a terrosist country!!!

Personally, I love India and I really, really want to go. I love Indian food, bollywood movies..etc 

I SO AGREE WITH WHAT YOU SAID!! :) :) 

Writomania PLATINUM, New Delhi, Other

"What really does not kill you, will only make you stronger"- Kanye West
"If there was no electricity, we would've had to watch the television by candle light"- Joe Jonas
Nobody will ever win the Battle of the Sexes. There's just too much fraternizing with the enemy. ~Henry Kissinger

oh wow... forget daniel.. you know, the other day, a few kids came to our school for this exchange program all the way from manchester... i got talking to one of them who went, "india is a terrorist country... ur neighbors with pakistan... you are the reason behind 9/11.. blah blah blah.

I mean... it really hurts to see us gettin blamed for somethin we didnt do and i can totally understand how you felt... i mean, just because of a few bad fish, you cannot blame the entire pond for being dirty can you?

Aderes47 GOLD said...
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Henry Drummond

I meant massacres! 

Aderes47 GOLD said...
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Henry Drummond

I was at a party at one of the google offices, with my after-school program Science Club for Girls(I teach girls science afterschool)It's very fun and cool and I have been doing it for three years. 

We were at Google to get more sponsors(because it's non-profit) 

I had to talk to people about our program. I talked to this German guy named Daniel. He was very good-looking, nice and sweet. 

He told me a funny story about getting his citizenship, I told him I was a dual cititen too. I told him I was from Algeria. He asked, Have you ever been there? I was like, yeah, twice. 

He said stuff like Algeria is a terrosist country and that it's dangerous and there are guns and massacrues and blood everywhere and why did your parents let you go there...

I said, No, it's not like that at all and no matter how many times I said that he wouldn't listen to me. 

I was so mad and offended!!! 

So I wrote this poem to spread good messages about Algeria. 

Writomania PLATINUM, New Delhi, Other

haha.. i love avril too.. but the new album is pretty great :)

And wow... different cultures and weddings intrigue me...

I would more than LOVE to know the story behind it :)

Aderes47 GOLD said...
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Henry Drummond

Would you to know why I wrote this poem even though the story is a little long? 

Aderes47 GOLD said...
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Henry Drummond

I love Avril Lavigne!! :)

Even though she did that annoying proactiv commercial. :(

I can totally see why you said that. 

For me, it's more Adele or Sara Bareilles. 

I included the dresses because it's my favorite part in an Algerian wedding(the groom, to show his devotion, love and wealth buys the bride a certain amount of beautiful dresses, then she shows it off at the wedding. 

I am already thinking about my dresses. :)

Writomania PLATINUM, New Delhi, Other

written* is what i mean..

Writomania PLATINUM, New Delhi, Other

I don't know why but i imagined Avril Lavigne sing this one..

Even though she's from canada :)

nicely writton.. i love the dresses part :)