Freedom of Youthfulness | Teen Ink

Freedom of Youthfulness

April 10, 2013
By michaeln123 BRONZE, Cedar Park, Texas
michaeln123 BRONZE, Cedar Park, Texas
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
The world is like a ride at an amusement park. It goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it’s very brightly coloured and it’s very loud and it’s fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question: Is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, “Hey – don’t worry, don’t be afraid, ever, because, this is just a ride…” But we always kill those good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok. Jesus – murdered; Martin Luther King – murdered; Malcolm X – murdered; Gandhi – murdered; John Lennon – murdered; Reagan… wounded. But it doesn’t matter because: It’s just a ride. And we can change it anytime we want. It’s only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money. A choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love, instead, see all of us as one. Here’s what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money that we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.


Innocent, free and secure. Loved and protected, I can still smell the warm spring daises to this day. The feeling of serenity captures me, makes me remember. It was only us three, everything had the touch. Had no worries, nothing to avoid I assumed the worst would never come my way. I can still feel the wind swoosh in through the window and chill my short legs from beneath the table where i ate. I can still taste the watermelon i feasted on, quenching my mouth and filling me with happiness. Sitting on the old rugged carpet entertaining her, different sounds, different objects, everything was still new to me . Many precious memories lost, yet i feel as if they're still submerged inside of me. Many people lost, never get them back, but they're within me . The change feels as if for the worse, and i can only will myself to hope things will return. Recently I feel artificial, superficial, and mostly unreal, or as if i have become lesser or even no more. Will i ever fulfill those greedy memories once more? Honestly I don't know, but the knowing of not knowing hurts the most. I look forward to the backwards. Can i please absorb the youthfulness of us once more? So open, yet ignorant, I am willing, but can life be willing for me?


The author's comments:
Looking back to when I was a young child, I had no worries, nothing to avoid, and now that I am older, I begin to see that every day brings on more and more problems.