I Am the Anomaly | Teen Ink

I Am the Anomaly

September 24, 2013
By Brooklynnealise Edley BRONZE, Lewisville, Texas
Brooklynnealise Edley BRONZE, Lewisville, Texas
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I am Brooklynne, the girl who parades through life alone, but will always be borne by family and friends.
Glaring at the two roads before me
I yearn to travel both, but unceasingly take the road less traveled.
I hear the stereotypes of my time
Wondering where I fit in; not considered black by my own race, but not white either.
I feel nonexistent, but I find comfort in my invisibility, yet I know that my shadows will cringe away from the sunshine.
I’m concerned that my invisibility has disabled my ability to communicate with my dying world.
I feign ignorance and act naive, deep down I am all knowing, just choosing to stride with my head held high.
I understand the mindset of today’s youth and the excuses we make to get through the week. Excuses are just the doorway to procrastination.
My proclamation is that we stand up for ourselves and make life our own. I declare that we prove our elders wrong that we take a stand and make a change.
I am a Swedish solider fighting against my brothers in the Great Northern War.
I am Moses parting the Red Sea.
I am Sojourner Truth straining to articulate the need for equal rights, straining to be recognized as I am.
I am Ruby Bridges holding up my head up high while marching up the steps of William Fitz Elementary.
I am Rosa Parks.
I am David Crockett executing my last anthem at the Alamo.
I am the American Revolution.
I am a solider as well as a veteran.
I will be battling for my independence and liberty forevermore.
I represent the 3rd generation of Edleys to go to college.
I represent the future of America.
I stand tall for independence.
I value family and friends; the sentimental things in life.
I know my future is bright.
I hope to see my purpose in life.
I hope to make a difference.
I will make my family proud.
I shall be successful for myself.
I can only hope that the world will get greener and be filled with peace.
I hope my children will be released from the chains of society.
I have confidence in the fact that our generation will make this Earth a better place.
United We Stand!


The author's comments:
For an assignment I had to create an I Am poem representing who I really am, so here you go!