Miles Morales Spider-Man by Jason Reynolds By Kimberly Place | Teen Ink

Miles Morales Spider-Man by Jason Reynolds By Kimberly Place

January 30, 2023
By Kimplace BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Kimplace BRONZE, Sacramento, California
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.” - Marilyn Monroe

“Start now. Start where you are. Start with fear. Start with pain. Start with doubt. Start with what you have. Start and don’t stop you can do it.” -I don’t know who it I found it on Instagram and it stuck to me.


I can confidently conclude that this book will allow your life to truly be set into motion and teach you a lesson of gratitude. The stresses that Miles goes through is much like lots of kids in Sacramento and the rest of the world. Poverty, racism, education stress, a family who won’t get off his back, and experiencing his first taste of a highschool sweetheart. Miles is relatable on almost all levels to the average kid who would pick this up. All while he gets the additional stress of saving the world from the continuous count of supervillains. He’s alone. He’s surrounded by people but he is utterly alone in his fight to save humanity. I truly think I was meant to pick up this book my sophomore year to teach me the lesson that I have a lot less stresses than I could. 


He’s not Batman, he’s not rich, he’s not miserable in his life. He likes video games, eating his mom’s home cooked food, and his armpits smell like most teenagers you can think of. He does have the burden and weight of his second “occupation choice” but he is loyal to his morals. My morals have led me into a lot of sticky situations much like Miles but my desire to do good and teach others of it are worth it to me. I’ve argued with my family up and down about political passions but stayed true to my duty to represent my heart’s beliefs. Much like Miles in ways because even as his city, his family, and his education almost broke him he stayed true to who he is and his need to be a hero. 


Miles’ parents keep him under a tight lock and key to do good in school because they are the result of not going down that path. They’re the path of struggle. I have an education because of my mom breaking my back to do good. Even when she got up at 10 p.m. because I told her I forgot I had a poster due the next day to get me all of my supplies and stop at Walgreens to print pictures. Honestly I can’t break down or give up because of everything she's done for me to succeed.  Miles and I are so similar because he’s so grateful for his parents that he must do right by them because even through all of their financial struggles they still have their heart to shove him through the window that he might make it through. 


If you’re privileged and you recognize it, this book is good for you if you really want to understand the struggle and how close someone can be to breaking apart from it. Especially growing up in Brooklyn, New York Miles has seen a lot while also being Spider-Man. 


Miles Morals is the complete epitome of strength through hell on earth and a catastrophe in his mind.

 

My favorite Quotes

-”WE ARE PEOPLE” the class shouted. “We are people.” Miles said.

-”Yeah everything he got he sold for money to pay her doctor bills. At least almost everything. He always kept a little to the side to buy me sneakers, which was cool. But, y’know, then… he died.” Austin Davis, son of Aaron Davis, Miles’ uncle.

-”I mean, look, everyone locked up in here comes from similar situations as mine. Either forced to act a certain way to survive, or totally forgotten about. And they all look like me–like us–too, if you know what I mean”

-”It would be much easier for you on your knees” Mr Chamberlain

-”So, that poem you wrote her, that’s your salsa. You gotta spill it on her, understand?”- Miles dad

-”Exactly. Spill the salsa, son.” Miles’ dad. 


The author's comments:

I was very hesitant about posting this review but my teacher had a great opinion on it and that pushed me to do this.