Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare | Teen Ink

Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

December 12, 2011
By SpringAhead GOLD, Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
SpringAhead GOLD, Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
12 articles 0 photos 99 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't call me crazy, it drives me nuts!"








~Anonymous


The Infernal Devices series, the companion to the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare, surrounds Theresa (Tessa) Gray a sixteen year old girl from New York who comes to England in search of her brother Nathaniel. However at the harbor she is kidnapped by the mysterious dark sisters, and horrifically tortured into discovering a power she never knew she had. She is finally rescued by the shadowhunters, a group of demon killing half angels, more specifically the kind, and caring James (Jem), and the moody, jerky William (will). And if you think that’s interesting, that’s just the first book.

The first book, Clockwork Angel, is only the beginning of an enthralling series. The second book, Clockwork Prince just makes it even better. It is definitely the perfect sequel to the first book. It just keeps building and twisting the plot more and more. The amazing writing style of Cassandra Clare keeps you hooked throughout the entire book. It’s one of those books that you can never put down wherever you go. Say if you’re in a restaurant, you’d be reading it. If you were in the bathroom, you’d never get off the john. Even if you were on a rollercoaster you would be completely submerged in this book! (Although have the slightest fear of dropping it into the land of no return)

There is of course romance. The triangle between the amusing, and inquisitive Tessa, the kind and level-headed Jem, and the moody insensitive Will is one of the major factors that keeps you drawn to the book. Its Tessa’s indecision between the two combined with Cassandra Clare’s talent for romantic scenes that makes these books quiet interesting as far as romance goes. In the second book itself these relationships Tessa had built with Jem and Will come to a boiling point, ending in a bittersweet happiness that wants you begging for more yet satisfied in a certain way at the same time.

With all due respect there are some things I don’t like about the book. First off the character Tessa bothers me because she asks A LOT of questions. She is generally a lovable character, funny and sophisticated at the same time, but sometimes I want to tell her to be quiet. However I don’t have to because in Clockwork Prince Will does that for me. Sometimes his snarky moodiness portrayed throughout the book comes in handy.

Lastly, the ending to this book wasn’t exactly my favorite ending. First off, there were a few little happy surprises that I did not see coming, and enjoyed very much. However, there were some complicated situations that made sense but bothered me at the same, which kind of inevitable put me on a letdown as far as endings go. However it is because of that ending that I cannot wait for the release of the third and final Infernal Devices book to see how it all turns out. The final book, Clockwork Princess, is supposed to be out in September/October of 2012 (as far as I know). The Infernal Devices books are great books and I would recommend them to any sci-fi, fantasy, or fiction enthusiast.


The author's comments:
This is my first book review, so I hope you like it. Please leave comments with criticism or complements *smiles slyly* below. I would love to hear any feedback you guys have whether it be about my review or the book itself. I really loved this book and wouldn't mind conversing about it for hours XD