When I was Puerto Rican by Esmeralda Santiago | Teen Ink

When I was Puerto Rican by Esmeralda Santiago

November 1, 2016
By SupahAce15 PLATINUM, Marietta, Georgia
SupahAce15 PLATINUM, Marietta, Georgia
47 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future"- Oscar Wilde


Esmeralda Santiago illustrates a classic coming of age tale in “When I was Puerto Rican”. Starting on the outskirts of Puerto Rico, Santiago ultimately ends up in Brooklyn, New York where she gets in to New York City's High School of Performing Arts and eventually goes on to Harvard University. Despite the prejudicial and environmental challenges she faces, Santiago expresses confidence, strength, and independence.
 The prejudice Santiago faces and ultimately overcomes leads to development of her confidence. After moving to San Juan, Santiago attends a new school where she is often called a “jibara” by her teacher and other students. “Didn't you learn fractions in that school for jibaros you came from?” In response Santiago pushes herself and studies hard. “She called on me when she thought I didn't know what the answer. It irritated her that most of the time that I did. I read ahead in my books, so she couldn't catch me, so she could ask all she wanted.” As a result Santiago becomes more assertive about her school work.
 Santiago’s constant environment change helps her become more independent. Following her family's move to New York, Esmeralda had established what she wants and how to get it. “I told her that they wanted to send me back one grade and I would not have it.” From then on Esmeralda fights for everything she desires or needs. “Mister Grant, I said seizing the moment, “I go eight grade for six months. If I learn no English, I go seventh grade. Okay?” Santiago proves herself to be self-reliant and does what she needs to do in order to get ahead.
 Throughout the  Santiago uses her spirit, individuality, and determination to succeed in life, regardless of her unfortunate circumstances. She ends up not only improving herself but ultimately her life as well. “When I Was Puerto Rican” wasn't about about some Hispanic girl who lost her identity, it was about a girl who found another part of it.