She's Out of My League | Teen Ink

She's Out of My League

When I came across the movie She’s Out of My League and read the description, I assumed it would be like every other romantic comedy where a couple were so close to each other to the point where they would say corny stuff and have cringe humor.  Then they have relationship issues and try to fix it or maybe they get back at their current girlfriend or boyfriend for cheating.  After watching the movie, it did meet my expectations.  When a loser guy started dating a hot girl, they did well towards the beginning, but then they began to fight.  In the end, they realized they needed each other.  To me this is like most romantic comedies, but there were some good things that stood out about the movie compared to other romantic comedies.

The movie She’s Out of My League was directed by Jim Field Smith.  The acting of all of the actors was very good: Alice Eve; Jay Baruchel; T.J. Miller; Krysten Ritter; Mike Vogel; Nate Torrence; and many others did a good job of showing true emotion in certain situations, and not messing up on parts that may be hard for them to say out loud.  Where they would crack jokes, but had to be serious about it, they did well with not cracking up when they were not supposed to like when Kirk asked his friend to shave his jewels, and they did well with parts like when Kirk and Molly really needed each other, you could really see the love they had for each other; great acting for the most part.

It is a romantic and comedic movie, but I would not recommend to allow kids to watch this due to some scenes that are not pleasing.  She’s Out of My League is a movie about how a “loser” guy ends up with some “smoking hot” girl that he meets at an airport.  At first they start off as acquaintances, but the girl, Molly, ends up forgetting her phone at the airport while she’s still at the plane and has the guy, Kirk, bring her phone back to her the next day whilst she is throwing a party.  She invites him to stay and they end up getting to know each other.  Later on they end up together, but Kirk’s friends don’t believe it will last long.  He begins to doubt himself and wonders if he should stay.  Will they still end up together or breakup in the end?

There were some things in the movie that I would consider to not be needed.  It was disturbing and not necessary.  Like the part where Kirk had an accident in his pants, and how they showed Kirk’s friend help Kirk shave his jewels.  I believe that this “dirty” humor would have been better kept out.  Other than that, there was many great things about the movie.  This kind of humor was dumb and corny; basically more dumb than funny and wasn’t necessary.

I thought the movie was pretty good: humorous, relatable, and sweet.   It was funny how Kirk’s parents would bring up embarrassing stuff about him in front of his new girlfriend; and how it shows that some people may not be as popular, but can still get a very decent girl and be loving and caring towards one another; and when they needed each other close to the end of the movie was a nice addition.  One of the parts of the movie that I found was funny was when Kirk was bowling with his friends and some other guy was going to go before him even though it was not his turn yet.  The guy yelled at Kirk, so Kirk was going to let him go first even though he was not supposed to.  Kirk’s friend got mad and defended Kirk.  His friend told him, “Fine, then bowl.”  When the guy rolled his bowling ball, Kirk’s friend rolled his at the same time, and in the same lane as the other guy, knocking it into the gutter.  Another humorous part was towards the end of the movie.  Kirk called out his family on a plane in front of many other strangers because he was upset and thought it was not a big deal since he was planning on leaving the plane, but he couldn’t.  So he had to go back to his seat and sit there while everyone just looked at him.  I think that it was well put together; no going from one thing straight to the next.  They did well with the pacing of the movie.  They didn’t focus on one part for of the movie for so long to the point where it could have made me pass out when the movie has barely even started yet.

Overall, I would give the movie a ⅗ stars.  The movie was somewhat funny and well put together, and had some clever parts.  There were a few parts that weren’t needed; could have some room for improvement.