The 40-Year Old Virgin | Teen Ink

The 40-Year Old Virgin

June 13, 2019
By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
678 articles 0 photos 8 comments

The 40-Year Old Virgin is a movie about a 40-year old, Andy Stitzer, as the name suggests. Andy is a benevolent guy, who spends most of his time working at a box store, playing video games, taking care of his action figure collection, and riding his bike. Even though he's 40, Stitzer has never told anybody about his secret, but a group of his friends figure it out during a poker game. Because they feel they have to, Andy's friends start pushing him towards meeting women and getting over his nerves. Although he's resistant at first, Andy soon learns that his friends are just trying to help him out and that their advice isn't all bad when he meets a local shop owner that might be the one. 
 

The 40-Year Old Virgin sounds like a movie that might not be a great fit for certain audiences, but in many ways, the movie actually does have several qualities that make the movie a story that depicts a character's coming-of-age, helping to make the movie a great fit for teenagers and adolescents, albeit, mature ones. The movie is able to talk about complicated things that usually make people feel awkward in a fairly comfortable way, and the film might actually be able to comfort others in knowing that it is okay if one isn't entirely ready yet to have serious relationships, and that being confident in decisions and feeling ready is a must. Therefore, the movie can actually be able to provide people with valuable information that is presented in a realistic version that could happen in real life. 
 

The 40-Year Old Virgin doesn't jump-start things on the greatest note, since the first twenty minutes can basically be figured out from just the title, but things quickly get significantly more interesting. The middle of the movie does a marvelous job of progressing the movie along and is able to generate some laughter in this portion of the movie, as well as have a tremendous amount of character development, causing viewers to become much more attached to the characters on-screen. The enticing ending of the movie proves to be extremely solid and does a good job of concluding the movie. Overall, the movie does have a few fantastic scenes, including when Andy decides to have some of his chest hair ripped off, and this is made substantially better by the fact that Steve Carell is incredibly talented and really able to sell the concept. 
 

Although a few parts of the plot of The 40-Year Old Virgin feel more than slightly predictable and formulaic, the movie is good for a few laughs and showcases a superb Steve Carell. In fact, it is fair to say that he carries this movie and then some, simply because his performance is really that extraordinary and noteworthy. There are a few memorable scenes displayed throughout the movie, but a small amount of the movie is lackluster and feels dragged out, especially the beginning. However, despite all of that, the movie is surprisingly enjoyable, entertaining, and fun. The cast of the movie meshes well together, and they help to make the movie as hilarious as it is. Parts of the movie are actually heartfelt, which is a bit of a surprise, especially because the movie appears to be just another dumb comedy. However, the movie is actually able to become quite emotionally engaging, since the movie has the ability to make audiences gain feelings for the main characters due to the way that everyone is shaped and molded by their experiences. The movie manages to make audiences experience an entire spectrum of emotions. 
 

One of the ways that The 40-Year Old Virgin is able to stand out from other comedies is the fact that both viewers and critics are able to find satisfaction with the movie. Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie an impressive 85%, which is actually much better than it seems, and an outstanding 87% of Google users liked the movie, helping to showcase that a wide variety of audiences liked the movie, helping to justify the claim that both critics and viewers think that The 40-Year Old Virgin is a great movie that's definitely worth watching. 

The 40-Year Old Virgin is absolutely a movie that's worth seeing for mature audiences, but the movie is certainly not for everyone. 


The author's comments:

"Life is about people. It's about connections." - Mooj