Ransom | Teen Ink

Ransom MAG

By Anonymous

   This movie is rated R. All those under 17 must be accompanied by an adult.

Get ready for one of the best suspense movies of 1996. "Ransom," starring Mel Gibson and Renee Russo, is an edge-of-your-seat thriller that will leave you breathless with all its unexpected twists and turns.

Tom Mullen (Gibson) is the owner of the successful airline, Endeavor. When a group of kidnappers, ironically led by a police officer (Gary Sinise), take his son hostage, they demand a two million dollar ransom. Tom, as well as his wife (Russo) immediately arrange to pay off the kidnappers. But Tom has a gut feeling that the kidnappers will kill his son after they receive the money. He finds the courage to stand up against them and reverses the ransom making it into a reward for the capture (dead or alive) of the kidnappers. Now Tom is determined not to pay and will stop at nothing until he has his son return uninjured and unharmed.

Gibson's first movie since "Braveheart," his portrayal of a distressed and courageous father is magnificent. Russo supports Gibson with emotional outbursts and obvious love for her soe. Sinise ("Forrest Gump") makes a good kidnapper with his serious face. He also has the look of an average cop turned bad.

I enjoyed this movie. I especially like the performances of Gibson and Russo. Previously they acted together in "Lethal Weapon 3" (which I also enjoyed). It you like suspense movies that give you ironic occurrences, then I recommend that you see this movie