Mrs. Doubtfire | Teen Ink

Mrs. Doubtfire

By BlakeHernke SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
BlakeHernke SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

“Do you ever wish you could sometimes freeze frame a moment in your day, look at it and say ‘this is not my life?’” These are Daniel Hillard’s exact words in the 1993 movie “Mrs. Doubtfire.” Daniel Hillard, played by the late Robin Williams, transforms himself into a larger than life nanny to spend more time with his three kids. Hillard, in the midst of a tough divorce, creates many humorous, laugh out loud moments as he attempts to be two people at once. In reviewing this movie, I give it high marks for it’s relatable cast, it’s humor and it’s meaningful message.

The movie begins with Daniel Hilliard’s life getting flipped upside down. He quit his job and ended up in the middle of a divorce at the same time. He was kicked out of his family home and lost time with his three kids. Hilliard, who was out of work, saw that his wife had placed an ad for a nanny job in the local paper. Knowing she wouldn’t give him the job, he decided to apply undercover. He creating the character Mrs. Doubtfire. He faced many challenges throughout the movie ,where he humorously had to be in two places at once. As Mrs. Doubtfire, he was able to spend more time with his kids even though they didn’t know it was him. He saw the effects the divorce was having on his children and on his ex-wife. He went to great lengths to be with his family.

Robin Williams does a phenomenal job portraying Mrs. Doubtfire and Daniel Hillard. The director, Chris Columbus, used many cameras on the set because he never knew what was going to happen with Williams and he was able to capture all angles. He was a seasoned actor who was a quick thinker and was able to act without much direction. For example, there is a scene where Williams had to be both characters at the same time, which required many costume changes. Rather than following a script, Columbus was prepared with multiple cameras and let Williams have control of the scene. During this unscripted part, much of the movie was created and gave the viewer many laughs. While the acting provided by Robin Williams is memorable, the supporting cast is remarkable as well. They all delivered moments that either tugged at my heart  or made me laugh out loud. I was able to put myself in their shoes and feel their emotions in their current situations. I can understand and relate to wanting to be with family and going to great lengths to be with them.             

When I think about a movie that is centered around divorce, separation, and a dad without his kids, I don’t think very happy thoughts. These sad moments are easily altered with a joke, a funny voice, or a man dressed as a woman. In the movie,”Mrs. Doubtfire”, the mood is easily lightened and laughter is abundant. Whether Hillard is lightening the mood with cartoon voices or burning his fake bra on the stove, the audience is able to smile and laugh throughout the movie. He continues to surprise the viewer  as he tries to be two people at once. Anticipation rises while waiting to find out how long he can continue being both characters.

While Williams has us laughing throughout this movie, one can’t help but fall in love with his motive. The love he has for his kids and his desire to be with them as much as possible is heartwarming in this story. He goes to great lengths to be with his family and it shows that family is so important to him. Sometimes being honest and asking for what one wants, is harder than one would think. Hilliard had something to prove to his ex-wife about being reliable and responsible, and was only able to do that through Mrs. Doubtfire. The message provided by Hillard makes me like his character even more.

“Mrs. Doubtfire” is a really good film that tells a lot about how life is not always as it seems, people can go to great lengths to be with family, and laughter can be found anywhere. I would recommend this movie to anyone who’s looking for a good laugh, but also wants an inspiring message. My life may not be exactly as I want it, but if I want something bad enough I need to make that change. In those moments that I wish I could freeze frame my life,  I remember there is only one me and I only have one life to live, so I need to laugh louder and dress like a lady.