Stonehill College | Teen Ink

Stonehill College MAG

North Easton, MA: First impressions are important when choosing a school. It was my first impression of Stonehill that has led it to become my first choice. Stonehill College does not receive the recognition that Boston University, Tufts, or Emerson do. As I flip through Princeton Review's The Best 300 Colleges, I do not see Stonehill in bold letters or in the index, and I am not sure why. I realize that as a 17-year-old I have little to say as to which schools they deem "the best."

I have tried to educate myself by visiting campuses from the University of San Francisco to Maine's Colby College. I've seen Sherbrooke's Bishop's University, and walked Hawaii's Brigham Young campus. Sure Colby has a beautiful campus and Brigham Young has warm weather with nearby Pacific beaches, but Stonehill has a welcoming atmosphere.

Stonehill is a small liberal arts college in North Easton, Massachusetts, less than half an hour from Boston, with the T (subway) running into the city. Stonehill is run by the Holy Cross Fathers, the same order of priests as the University of Notre Dame.

It is not facts I want to share, though. I want to tell you about my visit to the campus. I remember my nose was dripping, my head pounding, and my body tingling. I had been out of school with the flu. I wasn't up for the two-hour drive, but my parents had set aside this weekend to visit. The panel discussion and the atmosphere were impressive, but it was my tour guide, Missy, who made me say to my friends, "I know where I'm going to college. Stonehill is the place for me."

Missy expressed so much excitement about the campus. Her voice was not monotonous, like turning on CSPAN. Giggles and a bubbly voice livened up the campus tour. She did not have to state how much she enjoyed the campus, professors, or even Officer Bob. It was obvious in her enthusiasm. She bounced around with her curly hair tied back, flopping against her back. Her long skirt blew in the breeze. She shuffled backwards hoping not to stumble on an acorn or stump.

Although the highlight of my visit to North Easton was my tour guide, Stonehill has much to offer its students. When deciding on a college, it is important to know where you will be living. At Stonehill you will never have to worry about dingy linoleum-floored dorms. Stonehill guarantees four years of housing and freshman are even allowed to live in suites in the newly built residence halls.

Stonehill has recently designed a cafeteria built with windows, not walls. No matter which table you sit at, you have a window seat. For those looking, Stonehill is planning to build a new library within the next few years. Stonehill also offers many opportunities of large universities: internships, junior year abroad, and athletics.

Stonehill has met my requirements as what a college should offer its students. And most important it has a safe campus and friendly students. f

Reviewed in 1994

i love this !