Guradian Angel | Teen Ink

Guradian Angel

By ImagineBlueRoses SILVER, Derby, Kansas
ImagineBlueRoses SILVER, Derby, Kansas

Were it not for music, we might in these days say, the Beautiful is dead.

The sun burned brightly, making puddles of sunlight on the sidewalk where it shone through the thick trees. Shaded houses sleepily lay behind them, and no one seemed to be out on such a hot summer day. Except for me.

I was walking home from my friend Cara's house where I'd spent the scorching afternoon watching movies, doing some swimming, and playing video games. Now I faced a long, burning walk back home.

"Ugh... so hot..." I murmured to myself. Even in my shorts, cotton tee, and flip-flops, I felt like I was a grape slowly becoming a wrinkled up raisin!

I rounded the corner of the first block, and my mind wandered from thinking of the heat to how many chores I'd allowed to pile up at home. I bit my lip and squinted my eyes. Yeah, I should probably get those done when I get home, I thought. Mom would be checking as soon as she got home from the store.

Anyway, I was so preoccupied in my thinking, that I barely noticed the lone car that was driving rather quickly up the street ahead of me. It was still far away, but it was undoubtedly speeding, and coming towards me at an alarmingly fast rate. I had nothing to worry about, though; I was safely walking on the sidewalk.

The SUV started swerving a little as it got closer, and by the time it was almost beside me,it was obviously out of control. I slowed my pace and stared at it lurching from side to side, and suddenly, before I could even process a thought, it lunged sharply straight towards me!

I was frozen; in less than the blink of an eye it would be upon me, crushing my very life out. All I could do was utter a sharp cry and pray a fast prayer to God in my head. I shut my eyes, knowing I could do nothing, knowing that it would be smashing me to the sidewalk in a hundredth of a second. Suddenly, I felt myself being grabbed and slammed to the sidewalk. I could feel the breath knocked out of me as my body hit the concrete, and for a brief moment, I was stunned.

When I finally gathered my wits, I opened my eyes and took a few deep breaths. My nostrils were instantly filled with the smell of burning rubber and smoke. I slowly pushed myself up and got to my feet. I paused for a moment, then lifted my head and looked around.

The SUV was a few yards away from me to my left, crashed head-on into a huge oak tree, the hood scrunched up and the engine smoking. The driver was evidently okay, as he was walking around his car running his fingers through his hair, looking at the damage and muttering under his breath. A few neighbors had run out of their houses and were swarming to the crash site. But surprisingly, no one seemed to notice me standing there!

I stood on the sidewalk, unsure of whether to walk away or stay put in case the police needed to talk to me, when out of the corner of my eye, I saw someone. Turning to my right, I saw who it was: A girl, about my height and age, with very bright blue eyes and long, straight brunette hair, wearing a solid pink tee shirt and plaid shorts. She flashed me a smile, and after waiting a moment, I returned it.

"I'm Lydia," she greeted, offering me her hand. I took it, still a little puzzled, and she spoke again.

"You had a close call, Gwen."

I laughed shakily. "Haha, yeah; I'm pretty lucky to be alive..."

She cocked her head and replied, "Nooo, I wouldn't say lucky... I'd say blessed."

I stared at my strange companion and shrugged.

"Yeah, I guess so..." I thought a moment, then asked her something. "Lydia, did you see who pushed me out of the way?"

The girl laughed. "I pushed you over a little. You were frozen in shock and needed a shove."

Before I could reply, I heard sirens approaching, and before long, two police cars were parked on the side of the street. Just as I expected, a policeman walked up and began questioning me. I told him what I saw, and then, to my surprise, he left without any more questions, or even asking Lydia if she'd seen anything. I hesitated, then shrugged and began walking home.

"Oh..." I turned and looked at Lydia, who was still watching me, then impulsively said, "would, uh, you like to, um, come to my house for awhile?"

She smiled. "That would be nice, thank you."

Lydia and I began walking, and before to long, we arrived. I led her up the shady walk and onto the porch, motioning for her to have a seat in the wicker chair.

"Would you like something to drink...?"

This was crazy. A complete stranger on my porch...

"Yes, please. It's very hot out today."

What would my mom say?...

I nodded and stepped inside, heading to the kitchen for some sodas and something to eat. "She's very... strange...," I thought. Opening the fridge, I scanned it for some refreshments. "...I don't know WHY..." I grabbed a container of leftover chocolate cake and two cans of Pepsi, shutting the door with my foot. "...probably just my imagination. It's not like she's done anything or said anything to make her look weird."

I rejoined my guest on the porch, handing her a plate of cake and a soda.

"So,um, I guess thanks or saving my life, Lydia..." I laughed nervously and took a sip of my drink. She laughed. "It wasn't me; thank God for watching out for you. Sometimes..." she added with a twinkle in her eye "...He uses people to do His work."

I nodded over the rim of my soda can, and after guzzling the whole thing, I set it down.

Lydia was silently bowed over her simple meal, evidently praying. I suddenly blushed a bright crimson; I had forgotten to thank God for my food. I quickly bowed my own head and muttered a simple prayer of thanksgiving, then lifted my head to see Lydia smiling at me. I laughed slightly. "I'm sorta' forgetful sometimes..."

She just smiled and nodded, taking one last sip of her soda. I suddenly realized that her plate of cake was empty, and now her soda can was too!

"Wow... she must of been really hungry..." I stood up and took my guest's plate and can.

"Thank you so much, Gwen. It was delicious."

"Oh, no problem... It's the least I could do after what you did for me..."

She rose and began walking down the porch steps. "Wait!...Are you leaving already?" I called after her. She stopped on the walk and turned towards me.

"I have work to do, Gwen. Thanks again!"

I stood and watched her walk down the driveway and round the corner of the sidewalk hidden by a tree. I waited, expecting to see her appear on the other side of the tree, but she didn't! I hurriedly set down my stuff and ran down the driveway, skidding to a stop on the sidewalk. Lydia was nowhere in sight!

My mouth dropped open, and I tried to come up with a logical explanation, but I couldn't think of one. I scratched the back of neck, and, with a shrug, slowly walked back up to the house. I set the dirty plates on the counter and tossed the empty cans in the trash, then slowly walked into the living room and plopped down on the couch.

"...Oh yeah...haven't done my devotions today..." I picked up the Bible from the coffee table and randomly opened it. I needed a new place to study anyways.

"Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares."

"Huh, that's a cool verse-"

I suddenly widened my eyes. I scanned the reference and saw it was Hebrew 13:2. But that's not what made me suddenly surprised.

"I'm Lydia."

"You had a close call, Gwen."

"I wouldn't say lucky... I'd say blessed."

"I pushed you over a little."

"I have work to do, Gwen."

I nearly jumped of the couch after my sudden flashback.

"I didn't tell her my name, but she knew it..." I muttered to myself. "...no one was in sight when the car swerved towards me, yet there she was in the nick of time... she just disappeared when she went behind that big tree..."

I slowly shut my Bible.

"...I think Lydia might of been an angel..."

I moaned.

"I can't believe I gave an ANGEL chocolate cake and Pepsi!"

The Bible doesn't say much about angels in out modern-day. But what it does say suggests God uses them to help carry out His work on earth. My story is just one instance in which I think He would.

Writer_Jordan GOLD, Ellicott City, Maryland

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

Wow, I loved it!!!!!! I love Christian fiction and this was definently a breath of fresh air! Fantastic imagery, kept me reading until I finished! well done!