Do You Remember? | Teen Ink

Do You Remember? MAG

June was you by the pool. The day we first met, remember? I thought you were just one of those brawny lifeguard guys – you know the type: pretend to be all sweet, save the little kid from drowning, then go out and get totally hammered at night. I paid no ­attention to you, thought you were one of the heartbreakers, the ones I couldn’t care less about. But you had that smile with the dimples, and you came over just to offer me a watermelon Jolly Rancher. My favorite flavor. How did you know? That’s when I knew you were different.

July. August. After work we’d spread ourselves out on the field and drown in the sun, laugh at all those stupid jokes that aren’t even funny anymore. Why did we laugh so much back then?

Your studio, an explosion of color with your paintings enclosing you like a corral. Sometimes they made me jealous, when you saw them more than you saw me, but I loved them all the same. I loved that one of the beautiful girl with the long black hair, the one who looked so sad, but you wouldn’t say who she was. You’d never say. I’ll never know. So many secrets locked up in that little box of yours. You were fun, but you were serious.

“I want to be painted like that,” I said, because the painting was so beautiful. And you said, “Okay. Let’s do it.”

I still have that painting of me, by the way. You can only see half my face in it. “Why is that?” I asked. You shrugged. Another secret.

September. October. I love October. And you loved it too. When the leaves dance on the sidewalk and twirl through the air, when the world bleeds orange and red, and the air is like your stepmom’s apple crisp. We breathed it in together. We stood on the hill and closed our eyes, stretched our arms and spun around like five-year-olds, forgetting there was a world below. We listened to the wind whisper our names.

October was when we took the train downtown. It was fun that day, I don’t remember why. We skipped school (that was when school didn’t matter) and we rode downtown with your easels and paper and chalk and pencils, and we were going to draw fall. We drew the houses and trees, little kids flying a kite in the park, a mother duck and her ducklings wading through a river, a man asleep on a park bench, a maple leaf crisper than your stepmom’s apple crisp.

And you said, “Fall is a bit sad.”

And I asked why, and you said, “I dunno. It means summer’s over. It’s like ­losing something you can’t have back, like love.”

And I said, “But summer always comes back, doesn’t it?” And you said maybe.

We raked up a pile of leaves with a stick. We made this really big pile, laughing and running around it, losing half the leaves ’cause we’d stuff them in each other’s hair and shirts. We held hands, almost afraid to jump, like little kids taking their first dive into the deep end. One, two, three, go! And we sank into the big orange bed together.

I remember your easel that I carved my initials into. I remember the dimples on your cheeks, the eyes that were always on me. Your worn-out copy of The Great Gatsby that you read to me sometimes, and your plaid red scarf. I have that scarf, by the way. I wish it still smelled like you.

It’s October again, and the leaves are still dancing and the geese are still singing their good-bye song, and the bullfrog doesn’t sing because the pond’s almost frozen over. I wore your scarf yesterday as I rode the train downtown. I crossed the street to the park where we made the bed of leaves, and I tried to remember exactly where it was. And fall feels a little sad this year, like losing love.

I’m waiting to see if the summer comes back.

KPetty13 BRONZE, Saint Cloud, Florida

"If you're lucky enought to be different, never change." ~ Taylor Swift

I absolutely love this!  I especially love the part when you say...

"And you said, “Fall is a bit sad.”

And I asked why, and you said, “I dunno. It means summer’s over. It’s like losing something you can’t have back, like love.”

And I said, “But summer always comes back, doesn’t it?” And you said maybe."

That was genius !

LeahNicole SILVER, Mount Pleasant, Pennsylvania

Don't let life drag you down when things start to get overwhelming & challenging. Just don't give up & try your best in everything you do and just give all you got, it will pay off in the future.

Wow, this is a really amazing piece of work, I absolutely love it.

paigeturner9 PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California
I'm speechless...this is so beautiful! I almost started crying

on Sep. 17 2011 at 10:46 am
Cameandgonesmarty ELITE, North Vancouver, Other

"One day, your life will flash before your eyes; make sure it's worth watching."

This is so sad and so sweet.

U r so talented

I'm tagging this as a favourite

on Sep. 17 2011 at 9:28 am
clumsyteardropper SILVER, Roslyn, Pennsylvania

"You can't help others, if you yourself need help" -my sister ;) love it!

aww... it's so sweet!  it's that love that you want to have, but can't keep.  i wonder what happened to him.  that is so sad...... i lost him too.  i can really relate.

It was sad, but I liked the descriptive adjectives.

Also, could everyone please take a look at my 1st posted fiction article on the site? It is called "Purple-Face Tom."

cookiegirl said...
Great description, and it's beautiful.

nai.n.n. said...
beautiful, simply beautiful.

asheyknees123 SILVER, Peachtree City, Georgia
wow. there are tears on my eyes. great description. great sentence structure. and i LOVE the first sentence. Great job. 

place4pluto BRONZE, Beloit, Wisconsin
This story is so beautiful! I read it twice, even though the ending was sad. PLEASE KEEP WRITING!

novella BRONZE said...
novella BRONZE, Greer, South Carolina
stunning! even though i could tell just from the first few sentences it would end sadly, i wanted to keep reading. you have an amazing talent to keep someone hooked :)

AlyssaFama SILVER, Kunkletown, Pennsylvania

Most people want to be the sun that brightens your day. I'd rather be the moon that shines down on you in your darkest hour.

this was written almost perfectly, like a girl who gave everything lost everything too. It was beautiful. Never stop writing.

BlackThunderess BRONZE, Richland, Washington

"Let me see your badge.... It's just a star. Just another symbol. Your talisman. It can't stop criminals in their tracks, can it? It has power because you believe it does." ~Sally Owens

I could see the entire thing playing out in my head. Beautiful is really the only word for it. Heart-braking, almost; you can tell from the start that it ends in sadness, but yet somehow you feel compelled to keep reading.

PaRaNoRmAl627 GOLD, Mountainside, New Jersey

"Do what you want. If it's something you'll regret in the morning, sleep late."

this is so beautiful. it made my heart ache. in a good way :P

Maren.Olivia BRONZE, Sandy, Utah
i got chills! really sweet and realistic.

krarthurs SILVER, Plymouth, Massachusetts

All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called "Facts". They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain.
-Thomas Hobbes

This was very deep and powerful. I loved it very much. Excellent job.

Mitra said...
this gave me goosebumps, i absolutely love it:)

Curly... BRONZE, Morton Grove, Illinois

I consider myself a crayon, I might not be your favorite color, but someday you're gonna need me to complete your picture..

amazing... I absolutely loved it! Keep up the good work!!

Allister SILVER, Columbia, South Carolina

Be the change you want to see in the world

i loved all the elaborate descriptions, so beautiful!

KaitlynMarie GOLD, Northborough, Massachusetts

"I finally understood what true love meant...love meant that you care for another person's happiness more than your own, no matter how painful the choices you face might be."
-Nicholas Sparks

My heart broke while reading this, it's so touching and beautiful. I can relate to this feeling you portrayed and it's now on my favorite list.  Great story! Keep it up.