Stuck in an Elevator | Teen Ink

Stuck in an Elevator

April 1, 2010
By lindseyhucke GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
lindseyhucke GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
17 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Oh, sweet nibblets! This elevator is not movin’.” Hannah looked at her sparkly pink watch. “I have a show in like 15 minutes!”

I looked at her and rolled my eyes. “You’re making me nervous. Just stop talking.” I pinched my shirt between my thumb and pointer. Like the time I had to recite a five minute memorized speech in the fifth grade, I was nervous.

“Come on now children. I love you; you love me; we’re a happy family! We can’t let this problem get in our way of friendship,” said Barney.
His purple and green physique distracted me from being stuck in an elevator. Suddenly, a thump shook the ground causing Hannah to drop her shopping bags. Shoes cluttered the remaining standing space.
“Now what?! We can’t even move anymore. I’m nervous I might trip over these hideous shoes,” I said as I kicked the shopping bags out of my space.
“Girl trapped in an elevator say what? I ain’t gonna pick ‘em up! I might chip a nail.” Hannah looked at her freshly manicured hands and held them near her face.
“Clean up! Clean up! Everybody everywhere! Clean up! Clean up! Everybody do your share!” Barney’s pink tail pushed the shoes towards the corner.
“Alright. I’ll pick ‘em up!” Hannah reached down, careful not to wreck her nails. “I’m sorry, my dad’s gonna be mad at me for bein’ late, so I’m just stressed out is all.”
“Don’t worry; I’m sure we’ll get out soon. I know I can be mean when I’m nervous, so I’m sorry too.”
“No worries. Nobody’s perfect!” She sang into her fist as if it were her silver shiny microphone up on stage. “Sorry, just practicing for my concert.”
“You’re awesome!” I admired her outfit choice and the talent we shared.
“I know. I might even be a rock star!” she bragged in a joking manner.
“Hey, Barney? Press the help button so that Hannah can get to her concert.” I was too far to reach it myself from my corner of the elevator.
“What’s the magic word?”
“What?”
“I’m talking about please and thank you.”
“Please,” I said in a sarcastic tone. Being nervous, I just wanted to get out of there.
“Thank you.” Hannah completed the magic words.
We finally got out and Hannah gave Barney and me free tickets to her concert. We were all a happy family after all.