Fall and Arise | Teen Ink

Fall and Arise

November 3, 2022
By Pawnracer BRONZE, Cupertino, California
Pawnracer BRONZE, Cupertino, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It was the quickest action and the slowest action. The feeling of getting shot. It happens so quickly and suddenly. His eyes close and tumbles to the ground. Motionless. He sees a bright light and it's a blur. There is commotion. Shouts. Screams. The next thing he knows, he’s on a bed. Drifting away from reality. But he’s brought back with panic. “Are you okay?” they repeatedly ask, “Do you know where your family is? Where do you live? Who are you?” He shows no response with his body not in his control. He barely opens his eyes. There is worry in the room and present. Everyone rushes left and right with the announcer going crazy about code red. Doctors doing all kinds of tests and using devices to keep him along. Yet, they do nothing. He feels nothing.

Throughout all the chaos, one small figure stands out. It is a cat. The cat calmly walks. The cat is a calico with fur everywhere. The cat seems to have always lived there, through the commotion and cries. The cat gets on to the foldable bed and comes next to him. He feels the warmth of the feline. The cat seems to be supporting him to his last moments. He slowly closes his eyelids. He goes through his final trance. He sees his friends and family and is grateful. He doesn’t want to think about the missteps. The failures and hardships. The cat purrs. He shuts down his body. He sees nothing, feels nothing, hears nothing, smells nothing, tastes nothing. Pure darkness. In his lifeless form, he sees a glimmer in the distance. He thinks to himself, “One more time.”  


The author's comments:

The set piece is basically about a man who gets shot suddenly and doesn’t recover. I tried to show some symbolism through the cat, imagery through the character’s senses and eyes, juxtaposition (ex. “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times…) in the start, and repetition with he and the cat throughout. I tried to write in third person, like Kurt Vonnegut, and some short sentences to add more impact. I made time go really fast through descriptions of the outside world and slow when the character is focused on something. I liked how I used the cat as a symbol because the it fits the main character, like how the cat might symbolize resurrection (due to 9 lives) when the character dies and comfort when it purrs.