What Have I Done? | Teen Ink

What Have I Done?

By ivy_robinson99 BRONZE, Jonesport, Maine
ivy_robinson99 BRONZE, Jonesport, Maine

“Rebecca, sweety wake up” I moan and shift in my bed. Monday already, the weekend couldn’t have passed by that fast. Well it was all a blur anyway. When I peek out of the covers, I am stunned by the bright light seeping through my window. “Just five more minutes” I manage to squeak out. I was answered by my covers being ripped from my sleepy embrace. “Up, Now”. 

“Morning twerp” My little brother squirms away from my noogie. “Would you stop that Rebecca, just because you’re a big 17 year old, doesn’t mean you can beat up on me.” “Who says” I quickly grabbed a piece of toast and ran out of the door towards my baby. She was a 2001 ford focus, and my pride and joy. The perfect color, baby blue, like my eyes. I turned the key and was welcomed by the purr of the engine. “That’s my girl” I smile and pat the dashboard. “Another day in paradise” I mutter to myself and head down the road to school.
By third period I was already bored out of my mind. I played with my long auburn hair and traced the outline of my lips with a pencil eraser. I had a very profound cupids bow. I often got complimented on how luscious my lips were. When I got tired of playing with my face, I began to tap my long piano fingers. Geology would be the death of me today. That is until I get a text.

*Hey babe ;)*
I immediately knew who it was.
*Hello Alex :) How are you feeling this morning*
*Ughhh hungover, why didn’t you stay at the party last night, it was loads of fun;)*
*Because I didn’t want to end up feeling like you do this morning. :)*

“Rebecca Hamel, give it now” Caught again..I quickly lock my phone before handing it to the wench. “How many times do I have to take this away before you learn. No phones in class.” Once again, my mother has to come and pick it up after school. Oh and a lovely hour detention too. Big deal, I could care less. I cannot wait until tonight. My girl Kate and I are headed to a sick rave downtown.

When I get home mom was at her desk, as usual, doing paperwork. “Hey sweety, how was school” “Fine” I mutter and bound up the stairs. Time for the transformation to begin. Considering my phone is still in Ms.Terri’s desk, I had to facebook message Kate.

*Hey girl, you ready for tonight:D*
*Of course!! Its gunna be soooo fun! You gunna pick me up right??*
*Yeah, me and my baby will be there by about 7ish?*
*Kk*

What was I going to wear? I didn’t want to look trashy, but I also didn’t want to look like a grandma. I finally decided on a black strapless that flattered my slim, athletic body, and ended just above my knees. My black heels weren’t really appropriate for a rave, so the wedges it was. My makeup was going to have to match my dress, dark. After I applied the eyeliner to my top and bottom lid, and my long eyelashes were perfectly curled, I was ready. “Where do you think you’re going” Mom’s interrogation was usual. “Out” I quickly closed the door behind me and sped off to Kate’s house. Her parents were strict. Like you have to eat all of your vegetables strict. So just to be sure tonight wouldn’t be a bust, we devised a plan. Kate and I were going out to dinner with Alex and Kate’s boyfriend Lucas. I have to admit, Lucas was a babe. He had short curly hair, and tan skin. He resembled a surfer dude. “Good evening Mrs.Lanford” “Oh Rebecca, please, call me Harriet.” Harriet was a warm lady. Always smiling and positive. She was the kind of woman who has toilet paper covers and cinnamon potpourri. “Harriet, Is Kate ready?” Kate pretty much ran down the stairs, slightly tripping over her own, long legs. Only a little longer than mine. I was disgusted, what in the world was she wearing? Kate had on a horrific floral pattern button up dress, which went all the way up her neck, but when my eyes met hers, they had a gleam in them. I smirked, what a smart girl. “Bye mom.” Kate quickly kissed her mother on the cheek and swept me out the door. “Goodnight Harriet!”

As soon as we made our way down the road a little, Kate shed her cocoon. Underneath of the hideous old lady dress lie a short purple sequin strapless, which defined Kate’s beautiful curves. The purple complimented her honey colored skin. I have always been jealous of Kates complexion, she looks like an Egyptian queen, and I have skin like a vampires. Making our way down the road Kate quickly applied makeup to match her bright outfit. When we arrived, I could barely contain my excitement. “I am so pumped!” “Alright Becca, let’s go!”.
“I.D. Please.” The tall man was very clean cut. Surprisingly not as muscly as I pictured he would be. He wore a black suit with black shoes, and smelled of aftershave and strong men’s cologne. When we handed him our fakes, he just looked at us. I couldn’t tell his expression because of the sunglasses he was wearing. “Right this way ladies.” I was relieved when he smirked at us.

It was amazing in there. It was slightly dark, but there were strobe lights everywhere that gave the room enough light to be able to see who you were talking to. I’m guessing it was a neon theme, because there was glow in the dark liquid all over the place. Immediately Kate and I ran over to the pools of light and painted ourselves with them. Kate drew a swirly design on her cheek, and I did tribal markings all over my face and neck.

The music was so invigorating. I couldn’t stand still, constantly swaying or dancing in beat. Kate and I both could move our hips in sync with the music. “Do you want something to drink?” I shouted over the booming music. “Just a water” Kate replied. There were so many people here, it was difficult to maneuver around everyone.

When I finally made it to the bar, the bartender was dancing. “Excuse me can I have a water please?” When the dancing man reappeared with my water he also had a martini. “On me.” The bartender winked and danced away. I smiled and took a sip of the drink. I was greeted with the delicious burn of alcohol. Tonight was going to be fun.

“Where did you get that?” Kate asked me when I returned with her water and my drink. “Oh, the guy at the bar gave it to me” Kate scowled, “You know how I feel about that Becca”

Kate didn’t agree with underage drinking. “Kate, relax, I’m just trying to have a good time.” “How are we going to go home Becca, you know I don’t have my license.” She had failed her test three times. Sometimes I believe she will never pass. “It’s one martini, I’m not even fuzzy.” Kate sighed and stormed away from me. She is not going to ruin this night. So I decide that after I finish this one, I might as well charm another fella into buying me another. No big deal.

My vision had begun to blur, the music felt as if it were being pumped into my veins. I could feel the pulse through my whole body. I finally spotted Kate. She looked funny. “Katey! Hey, where have you been silly.” Kate just looked at me, obviously unimpressed. “I think it’s time to go home.” She grabbed my arm and began to lead me to the entrance. “No,” I jerked away, “I am staying, I wanna dance Katey.” “We can dance at home, come on Becca.” This time Kate firmly grabbed both of my wrists and took me out of the doors. “Becca I’m going to call Alex and tell him to pick us up, okay?” I was fine, I could drive us home. “No, its fine, I can drive.” Kate’s face scrunched up, she turned and started down the street. “Hey, where are you going?” She was really starting to upset me, why was she reacting this way? I was just trying to have a little fun. No harm was done. “I’m going home Rebecca.” “I said I could drive you home.” Kate spun around, I could see the anger in her expression. “Why do you do this? Every weekend you go out, and get wasted. You can’t restrain yourself for one night, one night, just long enough to hang out with me. You know I hate this, and if you were really my friend, you would respect that. But obviously you don’t care. Have a nice life Rebecca.” With that she once again turned away from me and stormed down an alleyway.

My heart ached. Kate had walked out on me. I understand I mess up a lot, but she’s been my best friend since kindergarten. Another feeling swelled up inside me, anger. I was so irritated, and I couldn’t really understand why. I was the one who was at fault here, yet I was furious. My car was parked relatively close to the rave, so I didn’t have to stumble too far. When I got in the car, I was overwhelmed with all of my emotions. I couldn’t keep them in anymore, and I cried. I cried for what seemed like forever. The tears smeared my makeup. I finally turned on my car and started down the road. My vision was impaired by the tears, and the alcohol, but I could faintly see. I was so tired, I just wanted to sleep. Almost home I thought to myself. What would tomorrow be like? Would Kate ever talk to me again? This was probably one of her little fits, we would be best friends again tomorrow. My train of thought was interrupted by the sound of screeching tires.

Everything went black. The pain was excruciating. My whole body throbbed, and I could feel the blood run down my face. When I finally came to, I was still in my car. It was dark, but my headlights illuminated the horrific scene. The front of my car, was totaled. My baby, her windshield was shattered, and the air bag, which now lie deflated in front of me, was splattered with blood. How badly was I injured? Wait, what did I hit? I couldn’t get out of the vehicle, but when I turned my head, I saw what I had hit.

“Hello? Is anyone over there?” I had no response. The minivan was in far worse shape than my car was. It looks as if I had hit them head on. There was a circular hole in the windshield, and the blood. There was blood all over the place. It was terrifying. I shouldn’t have gotten in the car. I should’ve listened to Kate. What have I done.

TheMockingjay14 GOLD, Jonesport, Maine
This piece was amazing! So relatable, and I love the small bits of humor in there!