Something Good For Once | Teen Ink

Something Good For Once

By MusicalMayhem93 BRONZE, Rockford, Illinois
MusicalMayhem93 BRONZE, Rockford, Illinois

"It is what it is."

She walks in the door. Five feet and six full inches of blond-haired, blue-eyed perfection tower over me. She's the new girl. I'm instantly jealous.

"Hi! My name's Jenna,"she introduces herself. I'm stunned by her voice. It sounds as if a small, delicate bell is being rung. I could tell this chick would have the guys swooning in no time.

"Uh, hey,"I mumble. Then the bell rings, saving me from any further girl-talk that may have ensued after introductions.

It's first hour and we're studying the human body. Mrs. Lundgren is lecturing on the heart. I know more about that particular organ than I wish I did. I know how it feel to break...that gutwrenching feeling that threatens to knock you to the ground. I know how long it takes to heal. I also know that some scars made on it never fade.

The bell rings and the day moves on quite uneventfully until lunchtime rolls around. I stop by my locker and grab a book before I head to the cafeteria. I'll be sitting alone again.

It's a typical lunch period. Everyone's yelling, gossipping, laughing....and hardly anyone's really eating. I'm disappointed in my choice of book. It's rather undistracting. I glance over at Jenna. She seems to be talking to Salena. Bad move. Salena's one of the most popular girls in the whole freshman class. This won't end well unless she sees something promising in Jenna. By promising I mean a submissive attitude so she could eventually be molded into a member of the Salena Circle....a popular.

"So...Jenna....,"I hear Salena begin,"Did you get that shirt at Goodwill?" A rumble of laughter goes through the group. I watch Jenna's response.

"As a matter of fact, yes I did." I'm stunned. I feel my mouth drop open. A united gasp escapes the mouths of each member of the Salena Circle. I can't stand it anymore. I have to speak.

"Well, I like it," I call over. It's a Nirvana t-shirt. I hadn't noticed it when I first met her. I'd thought we'd have nothing in common. It seems as though I was wrong. A slow smile creeps onto Jenna's face. She walks over to my empty table.

"Hey. Um, thanks. I never caught your name...,"she starts.

"Iris,"I reply.

"Wow. You have a song!,"she says with a wide smile.

"You like The Goo Goo Dolls,"I inquire.

"Yeah. They're not bad,"she replies with a laugh. We keep the conversation going. It seems we have a lot more in common than I thought. Somehow I knew I'd found a friend. She might be nearly two feet taller and look nothing like I'd expect a future best friend to look like...but I knew this was gonna be something good for once.