Living on a Dream | Teen Ink

Living on a Dream

November 12, 2009
By Skittlez PLATINUM, Whabawhahoo, Wyoming
Skittlez PLATINUM, Whabawhahoo, Wyoming
22 articles 1 photo 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
When God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window:):)


The slow, monotonous rocking of the hammock was very relaxing. Steady. It was her escape from the hectic world around her. She drifted in and out of peaceful unconsciousness, and as the sunlight flickered through the branches above onto her gently closed eyes, she let her mind wander to another time, another world...It'd been exciting, and loud, very loud. People shouting, and so much that the walls and floor shook. But, she didn't remember hearing anything...except, the one voice.. It was comforting, reassuring. The flickering lights overhead flashed bright, exciting colors, and though it had been crowded, she couldn't recall seeing anyone or anything else...it had seemed she was alone...gazing into the deep emerald eyes that sparkled and danced whenever they met her own. People dancing, brushing past, nearly knocking her off of her feet, but she wasn't worried, and likely did not notice, for all she could feel were the arms around her. All she could smell was his encanting scent. She breathed deep, taking in every minuscule detail, savoring every second of it. Her smile toward him was always returned with an angelic expression that read of his passionate caring and love for her. She was overwhelmed by it. So, Intoxicated. Making her feel ways she'd never felt before. What was this deep burning feeling inside of her heart? Why did every time they touched, or even met eyes, her stomach was all a-flutter? Was this what one called Love? But what did she know about such things? She was but a young girl, surely she would have no comprehension of the meaning of Love. But, she felt that she did. In her heart and soul she knew that this was, could be, possibly...the complete definition of Love. Such a caring for one individual, she felt, was not common in this miserable world. It was a special connection, she then thouht, that she could only ever have with him, and no one else. As he swept her away, off of her feet, she realized this was the one she had dreamed about as a child. Her real-life "Prince Charming". She was living out her very own happily-ever-after right here with him. As they danced, everything around them ceased to appear to have any exsistance. All that she could see, or even cared about, was holding her close. Steps, combinations, routines...they had no place here. No, it was more like floating. Simple, and natural. She didn't even have to think. They were one. Connected at hand and at soul. Not a word was spoken, but through soft and loving expressions, the each communicated to one another their innermost feelings. Forgetting all else, they glided swiftly across the floor. The gentle wind, catching her hair, tossed and played with it...reminding her of some distant memory...she looked around and noticed the people beginning to fade away, the loud noises and music softening into silence. But the thing that mattered most; the loving eyes, the strong arms that once held her, also began to melt into nothingness. She desperately tried to pull him back to her again and again, but the imagination only slipped through her fingers every time. As it all faded to black, she crumpled down in despair. Silent tears at the loss of her fantasy trickled down her pale face. The slow monotonous swaying overcame her once more. The blackness slowly grew to be a faded orange glow. And in defeat, she finally opened her eyes, but all she saw was the late evening sky, twisting itself into the shades of purple and blue brought on by the oncoming night. As the stars began to come out of hiding, she realized that it would only be a matter of time before she'd return to her imaginary bliss. Untill then, she could only wait...wait for him to come back... wait for sweet and gentle slumber. She knew it seemed foolish, waiting, but, she reasoned, all good things are worth waiting for, even if they are only dreams.


The author's comments:
The piece is mainly about the character dreaming about being with her perfect boy at a dance.