The Grieving Process | Teen Ink

The Grieving Process

April 4, 2010
By Azure GOLD, Lake Oswego, Oregon
Azure GOLD, Lake Oswego, Oregon
11 articles 1 photo 0 comments

At six in the morning, their alarms will go off. She will already be awake and will press the snooze button. He will wake up reluctantly and open the shades. She will take a shower and try to force her thoughts away from him. He will take a shower and sing loudly. She will do her hair and makeup, take ten minutes to decide what to wear, and then do her makeup again because her mascara will begin running. He will run a brush through his hair and grab the first clothes he touches.
She will have ten text messages, all supportive messages from friends. He will have three messages, all from his new girlfriend. She will pick up the phone to text him, but will put it down. He will pick up the phone to text her, but will put it down. She will wipe away a rogue tear, grab a Luna bar, and board the bus. He will push her from his mind, grab a Pop Tart, and board the bus.
She will listen to her friends’ sympathetic words and stare listlessly out the window. He will listen to his girlfriend’s incessant chatter and talk to his friends. When the bus pulls up to the junior high, she will jump off and walk with a quick purpose to the doors. He will hold his girlfriend’s hand and they will run to the doors. Their eyes will lock, and he will introduce her to Claire, who will giggle and whisper something in his ear. She will nod politely and go to her locker. He will shake off the awkwardness and head to gym class. She will smile unconvincingly and head to science class. Within seconds their faces will be lost in the crowd.


The author's comments:
I wrote this about a song that I heard on the radio and I guess a little about my own life, too.