Perfect | Teen Ink

Perfect

November 5, 2008
By Anonymous

Perfect

Once upon a time in a world far far away there was a beautiful young princess named Haylee. Her father was the king of Achebe and her mother, of course, was the queen. She had an older brother who would take over the kingdom when her father died. Her brother’s name was Dylan and he was 19 years old. They were the perfect royal family, all born with natural beauty and wisdom. Haylee was only 15 and the quietest of her family. She had long blonde hair and always had it pulled back into a braid that went all the way down her back. Even though her family was very rich, she didn’t need expensive things to be happy. She always gave her money away to those less fortunate than her. Everybody in Achebe loved Haylee and they were always glad to see her smiling face walking through the kingdom everyday.

One day as she was making her daily rounds through the town, she saw that all the people were gathered at the kingdom gates. Haylee was very curious to see what all the ruckus was about. She hurried her way through the crowd only to see the most handsome man she had ever saw. Immediately, she began to ask her friends who this boy was. “Why, it’s the prince of Chinua,” they all replied. Haylee was astonished that she had not known in advance about his visit.

Haylee rushed back to the castle, knowing that all royal guests were to have dinner with her family when they arrived. She put on her very best outfit, her cutest shoes, and did her hair as perfect as can be. As scheduled, her mother called her down to dinner.

As she entered the dining hall, she began to feel very nervous and anxious, at the head of the table was the amazing boy she had seen earlier entering the gates. She walked up to him so she could introduce herself, as she began to talk, she found herself fumbling for words. “I, I’m Haylee.” She said. “It’s n-n-nice to meet you.”

“I’m Anthony.” He said in response. “The pleasure is all mine.”

All during dinner the two chatted away. They clicked as soon as they began to talk to one another. It was clearly obvious that they really liked each other.

After dinner, Haylee asked her father if it was alright if she was allowed to go on a walk with Anthony. Her father agreed, but she was not allowed to be out too late.

While they were walking they talked about everything. It was like they had known each other forever. Time went by so quickly, and unfortunately it was time to go back. As they were standing at the gates of her home, he kissed her. It was the most romantic thing, time seemed to stop, the sounds of crickets chirping disappeared, and she began to feel weak in the knees.

She was so happy, she practically skipped all the way to her room. She was in love, she knew it, never had she felt so connected to a guy before. Haylee could not believe how lucky she was. Anthony was the most amazing person she’d ever met. He was the guy all girls dream about. He had a wonderful personality, he was charming, very muscular, and the funniest guy she had ever met. Haylee couldn’t wait for the morning, she missed him already.

She woke up to a knocking on her door. When she opened it, standing there was Anthony, but he did not look like his usual cheerful self. “Sit down.” He said, “I have to tell you some bad news.”

Haylee’s heart sank as soon as she heard this; she knew things were too good to be true.

“My father is sick, and I must return home. I am so sorry… I will be leaving just after breakfast.”

There was a long silent pause; both wishing that what was just said wasn’t true. Haylee thought for a second and even though she knew it would hurt her, it had to be done.
She quickly forced a smile, “Go home. Your family needs you, they are much more important than me. Hopefully everything works out for you.”
“Thank you, thank you so much, I knew you’d understand, that’s why you’re so amazing.” He said. “I will never forget you.”
Then, he quietly kissed her once more and left the room. She was so upset, she began to cry. She was so hurt; she had never felt pain like this before. She knew what she had done was right, but why did everything feel so wrong?
Dreadfully she dressed and went down to breakfast. After eating, everyone said their goodbyes. Haylee knowing she would most likely never see him again.
Haylee was devastated. She locked herself in her room for days. No one could get through to her. The whole kingdom began to worry about her. They had never seen her this way before.
Two weeks after Anthony left, a letter arrived at the castle addressed to Haylee. It was from Anthony, for the first time since Anthony had left, Haylee had a smile on her face.
Dear Haylee,
I have something very important to tell you. My father has passed away. My mother is taking it pretty hard, but we are all getting through it. As you probably know, it is my responsibility to take on the kingdom. I think that it would only be right if you came to Chinua and joined me in marriage. I would be greatly honored to have you as my wife. There isn’t a minute when I don’t think about you.
Yours Truly,
Anthony
Haylee was so happy, she quickly ran to ask her mother and father. After much consideration, her family agreed. They would all be traveling to Chinua for the marriage ceremony.
Three days later they arrived. The wedding was huge, all the kings and queens from all over the world came to the celebration.
Haylee was now the queen of Chinua and the happiest she had ever been in her life!