His Deep Green Eyes | Teen Ink

His Deep Green Eyes

December 8, 2010
By OhSnapItsKay GOLD, Marion, Ohio
OhSnapItsKay GOLD, Marion, Ohio
11 articles 1 photo 2 comments

“I can’t do this anymore.” He said, and my ears began to ring. I couldn’t hear a thing.
“What?” I asked, confused.
“You heard me. We’re through. No more. We’re over, Ashleigh.” His eyes were dark; darker than I’ve ever seen them, and his face showed no emotion. I stared at him, trying to figure out what went wrong; searching my mind for a memory, something I did or said to make him upset.
“What…W …Why? What did I do?” I asked, my voice beginning to shake. He looked away, then back at me, staring directly into my eyes. He looked annoyed, like he was talking to a little child who was asking an obvious question.
“That’s none of your concern. Just go on with your life, as if I’ve never existed.” He backed up and started to walk away. “Just forget about me.”
I ran in front of him and stopped him.
“Are you serious? You’re going to break up with me, and then when I ask what’s wrong, you’re going to tell me it’s nothing I need to worry about? That I should pretend none of this ever happened?” I yelled, and his jaw tightened as he looked away.
“I know what I said, Ash.”
“Well apparently you don’t know how crazy it sounds.”
“I don’t have to deal with you…” he mumbled and shoved me out of his way. I fell against my car, and balanced myself.
“Erik!” I screamed after him and he kept walking. “What on earth happened to you? Why are you so different?” I stood my ground, and he stopped, facing away from me. “Was it another girl? Did I say something? Do something? Do you just not love me anymore? I deserve to know; not so I can rip some girl’s eyes out, but because it wasn’t all about you in this relationship.”
He turned around, his eyes full of hurt.
“I never stopped caring for you. You said everything right, did everything perfect. It’s me that’s the problem. I’m not good enough, and I’m afraid you’ll leave me for some guy you think is better.” He admitted, and I let out a sigh of relief.
“I love you, Erik, I always have. I never once cheated on you, or even thought about it, because you mean so much to me. I can’t.”
He looked down, and I lifted his chin up.
“Erik, I won’t hurt you. Trust somebody for once without running before you can. Trust me, Erik.” He grabbed my hand and held it in his.
“Ashleigh, you don’t understand. I don’t want to be with you. You’re a liar. You’re lying.
You will cheat on me, and then say you didn’t. You probably already have.”
My hand dropped from his.
“Erik…No…” Tears welled in my eyes.
“Yes, Ashleigh. I have to keep myself from getting hurt, have to keep you from other guys…” he pulled out a pistol. “You just don’t understand.”
The last thing I saw was the numbness in his deep green eyes.