Let’s … | Teen Ink

Let’s … MAG

By RedheadAtHeart ELITE, Mountain Home, Idaho
RedheadAtHeart ELITE, Mountain Home, Idaho

Love with open hands. - Madeleine L'Engle

“Let's do something together,” you say.
“Like what?” I ask.

“Well,” you say, “let's sit and talk on the stone steps after church and laugh about everything and nothing at all. Let's have it be a pure accident. Opportune circumstances. And let's have it be beautiful.

“Let's get up regretfully and bid each other good-bye, with promises to talk again next week. Let's gaze wistfully after each other as we depart.

“Let's make it a habit throughout the summer to talk and laugh on the stone steps after church. Let's look forward to our weekly banter, and let's wonder what the other is thinking as we anticipate seeing each other again.

“Let's be sitting and talking together one Sunday, and let's both be slightly disappointed when I mention that I'm going to my cousin's wedding in Green Bay, and after that I'm spending two weeks in northern Minnesota at camp. Let's say we'll miss each other.

“Let's have a joyful reunion when I return and a long, heartfelt discussion on the church steps. Let's say honestly that we missed each other.

“Let's go slowly into the new school year, always remembering to have our hour on the church steps together. Let's sit out there even on the worst snowy days.

“Let's let time go by, a year or two, and in all that time let's not let our friendship fade. Even as you go to college and I go who-knows-where, let's remain friends.

“Let's keep in touch. Let's one day – even though I have a job by then – get together and hang out, maybe sitting on the stone steps of a church somewhere else. And let's talk for a while, but after another while, let's realize that neither of us feels like talking. So let's sit in silence.

“Then let's kiss. Let's make it beautiful and heartfelt and true. And let's know that we're in love.

“Let's be happy, secure in the knowledge that we were made for each other. Let's let time and life bring everything they've got, while we weather the storm together.

“Let's date. Let's be happy and funny and enjoy each other. Let's walk along beaches and city sidewalks and country roads holding hands. Let's laugh and tease and steal kisses and smile wide when we see each other. Let's be in love.

“Let's be together, some summer night, sitting perhaps on some stone steps, though maybe not of a church. Let's be sitting there, silent like we sometimes are, and then let's both know something special is about to happen.

“‘Let's get married,” I'll say. You'll agree. So let's.

“Let's get married in the church where we met, surrounded by everyone we love. Let's stand in front of the church and forget about everyone else while we promise our lives to each other.

“Let's live in a tiny cottage on the coast of northern Maine. Let's be young and happy and carefree. Let's just live, working a little and playing a lot, like young people tend to do.

“Let's have a crowd of beautiful children. Let's read to them and sing to them and teach them to be good people. Let's sneak into their rooms when they're asleep and marvel at how miraculous they are.

“Let's watch them grow up, survive their adolescence and our midlife crises, and come out the other side wishing they hadn't grown up so fast. Let's quietly live alone again in our northern Maine cottage, just us two, like it was before.

“Now,” you say, “let's come back to now. Let's hold hands. Let's pray that God and your cancer won't take you away from me too soon.”

“Even if they do,” I say, “you know where to find me.”

You smile. “Where?” you ask.

“Right with you,” I say. “Where I've always been.”

Your smile fades. “But you won't be,” you say sadly.

“Says who?” I ask, struggling to sit up in my hospital bed. “You once said, ‘Let's do life together.' So we are. Even if I'm not there the whole way, we are doing it together.”

You smile through tears that cloud your eyes. “Let's,” you say.

GreenEyedGirl15 BRONZE, Derby, Kansas
This was absolutely, positively beautiful in it's entirety! I loved the way the characters planned their lives together, simply loving each other like people should. Your writing is amazing. Your style was new and fun, which I really liked. Keep writing, you're going places my friend.

lexophile12 SILVER, San Luis Obispo, California

"We dissect nature along lines laid down by our native language." - Benjamin Whorf

This is so wonderful. Thank you for your heart.

someonewhoisme BRONZE, Normandy, Tennessee

"You is smart. You is kind. You is important."-Aibileen- The Help

Aww that's so sad and cute! Can you read my article? "Society Gets What Society Wants"

Def_Leppard_fan120 SILVER, Lake Lorane, Florida

If you want your dreams to come true, Make them come true. If you want to win, Make it a win.
The only one that is stopping you from accomplish your dreams is YOU.

Come check out my article called THE BATTLE and leave a comment on what your thought about it.

otherpoet SILVER, Wayland, Massachusetts

"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone." - Audrey Hepburn

Wow. This is incredibly heartfelt. I was completely taken aback when the cancer came into play. I love this

Micky21098 SILVER, Peoria, Arizona

To be perfect is to know your imperfections.
-Me (if you can believe it!)

Really cool and kinda fun looking way of writing. this was an amazing story that i love.

pinkypromise23 PLATINUM, Cranston, Rhode Island

i know that you believe you understand what you think i said, but im not sure you realize that what you heard is not what i meant.

That was beautiful. Thank you.

Mynameislindsayy SILVER, Seattle, Washington

"I'd rather just except who I am, what's the use of trying to change?"

That was beautifullll!!t gave me chills when I read the last few sentences

awensman95 SILVER, Alexandria, Minnesota

"All dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

This is so cute! Except the ending was sad :( but unexpected and different. Nice job! I like how you used a different way of writing a story.

iWriter365 BRONZE, College Park , Maryland

You're off to great places, today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way- Dr. Seuss

Its nice, I write alot like you, so this was just a conversation?

CrazyWriter GOLD, Lorton Station, Virginia

"Once you have given up on the most important thing in your life, you begin to die, because then, you gradually lose your true self"~Hana Kimi
"Someone who can lie to themself. . . is lonely, and in pain"~Hana Kimi

That was beautiful I did not see that type of ending coming but I suppose I should have I'm looking forward to stumbling across some more of your work ~CrAZYwrITER~

billgamesh11 BRONZE, Grafton, Massachusetts

"It's always darkest before the dawn." ~Florence and the Machine

OMG!!! This was extremely good!!! I don't know what to say!!! How bout:

Let's all Keep Writing ;)

Especially you, Miss TALENTED!!! I love this so much!!! Great Job!!! :):):);)

emrose SILVER said...
emrose SILVER, Rising Sun, Other
This was really good. Awesome job!

livlaughluv99, Mtn. Brook, Alabama
Wow! I love your point of veiw!