Mine Always | Teen Ink

Mine Always

By lucygirl26 GOLD, Greensboro, North Carolina
lucygirl26 GOLD, Greensboro, North Carolina

"Life is like a bowl of spaghetti. Every once in a while, you get a meatball." - Sharon Creech

You. You there. You with him. Please listen to me. Or at least look here. You should know that he’s mine. You there with the most dashing boy in the world, look over here and give me five reasons why you should have him and not me. Give me five simple, bullet point reasons why you think he could even love you more than he loves me. Just tell me, now.

That’s right. You don’t deserve him. Not at all. Deep down inside, you know that he really loves me. He just doesn’t know it yet.

How would I know, you ask?

Well, for starters, he’s my best friend. I talk with him every single day, and you only hang out with him once every other week. I bet you just talk about personal interests, such as movies, books, food. But when I talk with him, we talk about deep, personal secrets that we would never tell anybody else. We have lengthy conversations and we laugh about everything together. Do you? No.

He may never know the truth until he has dated millions of girls. But I will. I’ll sit here and go through life with him, holding his hand forever. You? You’re just one of them. One of the people who go through his life, and who will eventually be pushed down into the subconscious of his mind. Eventually, you’ll no longer be a part of his life. You’ll just be a memory to him.

That’s right. Though he may never know that I love him until many years later, and though I wish desperately he’d love me back sooner, I will still stick with him for the rest of my life, and I will wait. For as long as it takes – even up to the point when we’re both old and on our death beds – eventually he’ll realize that he loves me back.

I’ve known him for forever. We’ve practically been best friends since we were little kids. And now, look at us, all grown up, and still best friends. You? Well, you’re just an acquaintance. He’s never talked to you before this, has he? No.

Piece it altogether. Just know that I’ll be watching you, and all the other girls he will fall for. I’ll be waiting forever and for always.

So now it’s my turn. I’m asking you. Why do you like him? Give me five reasons. Five bullet points on a piece of paper. Tell me why you are in love with this boy.

He’s funny, cute, smart, yes. Those are given. He’s kind, of course. Compassionate.

He’s all of those things. Those are all valid reasons why any girl should like him. But, you know, I could come up with hundreds reasons why he should be mine instead of all you other girls.

He will be mine always, no matter who he takes out, who he smiles at, who he kisses.

You. You there. You with him. Please listen to me. Or at least look here. You should know that he’s mine. No matter how long it will take. Even if it takes a million girls he dates in the future, someday he will realize that I love him. And he will love me back, and we will finally have the chance to be together for all eternity.