A Warm Summer Day | Teen Ink

A Warm Summer Day

October 25, 2012
By HorseFeathers151 SILVER, Amarillo, Texas
HorseFeathers151 SILVER, Amarillo, Texas
5 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
Actions, faces,names, and money are all forgotten in time. Words, words will last forever.


You could see it in her eyes, the mirrors of a secret life, flawed and dark, contrasting the parts you could see, perfect and bright. Her confident stride concealed the fear within. You could see it in his eyes, the life he wished to live, pure, untainted by the sleepless nights, fights, and cold pavement. An unlikely couple. One with secrets the other with dreams, a chance encounter pushing them together.

It was a warm summer day, like the ones that seemed to hint that something was about to end. She was walking down the street, not a hair out of place, her white tee floating on the wind, looking like she had just stepped out of a dream. Even her voice, carried by the same wind that mingled and played with her hair, sounded cool and smooth.

Notes pierced the air, a hot staccato, its grating noise irritating even the most patient of souls. The girl however, was not patient, the sad tone tugging at something deep within her.

“You know what, it’s over. This relationship is pointless.”

The phone snapped shut with a finality that brought the girl to a stop, shrugging her shoulders as if the call had merely been irritating.

“Problem?” It was the boy, sitting there, the beat up guitar placed in his lap.

“No.”

“Sounded like one.”

“Well it’s not.”

The music kept on, his fingers flying over the strings, never skipping a beat. His eyes were slightly unfocused, the character of someone coming off of a high.

“You do drugs.” The girl stated, her lip curling into a frown.

“Yeah so what?”

“It’s bad for you.” He rolled his eyes, innocence, it was the undoing of so many people.

“So I’ve been told.”

Suddenly she smiled, curious, but silently bold. Standing, he smiled back, wondering, quietly choosing to follow.

“I’m Amy”

“I’m Chris.” They shook hands. That was the way things were. Amy and Chris, the liar, the dreamer, linked together.

The hand shake had lead to a conversation, a lunch date, the movies. She was beautiful he was talented but that’s the way they stated. Just beautiful and talented.

“Amy?”

“Yeah?”

“What do you want?”

“I want you, Chris, what kind of question is that?” Her laugh carried through the autumn day flirting with the falling leaves.

“It’s a good question. What do you want from life?” He gazed into her eyes, knowing she was pondering, seeing she was scared.

“A family. Love. Friends.” Her composer fell, giving him a small peek into her actual life.

“Yeah me too.” He had seen it, the hollow soul, seeking for something to fill it. He had felt it, that dull, empty, feeling.

“Chris?”

“Yeah,”

“I have something to show you,” her fingers brushed over the crooks in her elbows.

“Don’t.”

“I need to.” The fabric bunched revealing thebruisees, the needle marks, the red scabs.

“You do drugs.”

“Yeah so what?”

“They’re bad for you.” This time they didn’t smile.


Winter came, followed by spring, and another warm summers day, like the ones hinting that something was ending. They were walking down the street hand in hand. One beautiful. The other talented. School had ended leaving them to the graduating parties, college applications, and the adult world.

“What’s next?” He asked.

“What do you mean?” She asked back.

“Where do we go from here?”

“I don’t know. College? Work?”

“Yeah, but what do you want to do? What do you want from life?”

“I want you.”

“I thought you wanted a family, a friend, love.”

“Yeah, I did but I already have them.”

“You do?”

“Chris, you’re my family. You’re my best friend.” She stopped measuring the words. “I love you.” He stopped.

“I love you too.” And then he kissed her.

“Just promise me something.”

“Anything.”

“No more drugs, okay?”

“Yeah, I've heard they’re bad for you.” She smiled and he smiled back. She was beautiful, no longer a liar. He was talented, dreams were reality. It was a warm summer day, something was ending but something better was beginning.