With You | Teen Ink

With You

December 23, 2012
By Taylor_Renee GOLD, St. Paul, Minnesota
Taylor_Renee GOLD, St. Paul, Minnesota
10 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
Dream as if you will live forever,
Live as if you will die tomorrow.


As she waved goodbye, the realization began to set it. This was it. All those silly pillow fights, and popcorn wars. Every sharpie tattoo that we had turned into permanent ones together. All of the laughter and tears; the silly bickers to full on fights. The nights of ice cream and “He is not good enough for you.”

Every run on the beach with the rising sun. All of my favorite moments were being turned into memories right in front of my eyes as my best friend boarded a train to go find herself. I knew we’d keep in touch, we always would, but that didn’t stop the feeling of sadness for settling into my stomach. I turned to head home, away from the pain of losing someone I loved so much. My mind flashed to the moment I realized I was madly in love with the girl.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Mike!”

I looked up from the book perched in my lap, to see my best friend Laylah running towards me. The dark curls that fell down to her shoulders bounced lightly, making me smile. Those baby blue eyes that were covered with thick dark lashes, sparkled happily as she wrapped me into a hug. “How was the trip?”

Her pearly white smile widened. “It was amazing. I met this boy, who took me out on a boat ride. It was so romantic. He set up a picnic for me on the deck under the stars. It was beautiful.”

I smiled at how happy she was, though I couldn’t deny the fact that a sting of pain jolted through my heart. I wanted her to be happy I did. I looked into those eyes, and I knew.

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

As if she knew I was thinking about her, my phone began ringing in my pocket. “Hello.”

“I can’t do it.”

I stopped and turned slowly to watch the rickety red train leave, picking up its speed as it moved forward. “What do you mean?”

“I mean I never needed to run off to find myself. I realized that as I boarded the train. Do you wanna know why?”

I couldn’t keep myself from watching the caboose of the train pull out of the station, taking Laylah away from me. I turned to face forward as I spoke. “Why?”

There standing on the opposite platform in front of me was Laylah. Her hair blowing lightly in the warm autumn breeze. Her phone was pressed to her ear and a large smile graced her beautiful features. “Because, Mike, I realize I am only truly myself with you.”


The author's comments:
This is a flash Fiction peice I wrote for my Creative Writing class, so let me know what you think! :)