The Ellis Tale | Teen Ink

The Ellis Tale

By Megan Wolf SILVER, Covington, Louisiana
Megan Wolf SILVER, Covington, Louisiana

Short Story:The Ellis Tale

"Daddy, what if the other kids don't want to be my friend?" I asked, full of anxiety as my father pulled up to the richest elementary school in town.

It was my first day of first grade, and I was the strange new girl who wore glasses and hadn't lost any of her baby teeth yet. The butterflies in my stomach leapt with anticipation of the thought of a new school, new teachers, and most importantly, new kids.

"Sophie, these kids here will love you if you just be yourself. Being you is the most important thing you can be, and I guarantee you will be friends with all of your classmates by the end of the day. Have a great day, honey. Love you!" Dad said, as he came to a complete stop.

I gave him a cheeky grin and opened my car door. I hopped out with my new backpack on hand, and waved to my Dad with the other. He pulled out of carline, and I took a good look at the place I would be for until high school.

I walked to my assigned classroom at the end of the hall and took a seat. Shortly after, a girl with braided brown hair, green eyes, and the exact backpack as me, sat in the seat to my right. She smiled at me, because she noticed our matching backpacks as well. I gave a short smile, somewhat unhappy that there was someone else with the same Hello, Kitty! backpack.

Little did I know, this girl would become my best friend and my dad's advice would work; I soon became a friend to everyone, and everyone became a friend to me.
* * *

"Brat," my sinister step mother, Liz, spoke through the intercom machine, "put your belongings away because you have the following chores to complete: wash the dishes, clean the pool, and organize my closet!"

You're probably confused, right? Well, my mother passed away while giving birth to me. My father, a wealthy business man, met a woman named Liz one night at a business dinner, and fell in love instantly. I liked the lady at first, but when my father passed away, she assumed the role of evil step-mother. You're also probably wondering how he died, correct? When I was nine, our former maid poisoned his daily glass of red wine.

I groaned and flopped onto my bed, as if my action would make the chores disappear. Although we had a maid, a butler, and a chef, Liz would make me do her chores. I call it child labor, but she calls it preparing me for college. I leave for college next year, and hopefully I will be out of the state of Florida and away from the wicked witch.

I placed the old Hello, Kitty! backpack on my bed and walked out of my room. Walking down the hallway, I heard Liz talking to the butler, Paul. Liz demanded that Paul take me somewhere secluded and kill me. She told him to make sure I was never found, and that she had a story created of how I died. He asked what it was, but she hushed him rather quickly. Liz whispered that she was tired of having to look after me, and that once I turned eighteen, I would get majority of my father's money, unless some tragic event happened to me.

I sprinted down the hallway back to my room and closed my door without making a sound. I grabbed my first grade backpack and threw a pair of old blue jeans, a toothbrush, two tee shirts, sweatpants, and a brush into it. I went to my nightstand and picked up my mother's necklace. It's gold chain and circular locket sparkled when put on my neck. I fetched my blue hoodie and wallet which had seventy-three dollars inside. I whipped my raven black hair into a high ponytail and changed into a pair of jean shorts, a light pink tank top, and tennis shoes. Holding my phone with my left hand, I opened the door to my escape. I ran without looking back. I ran to the other end of the hall. I opened the window and climbed out onto the roof. I closed the window again and searched for which way was best to get to the ground safely.

Once on the ground and a couple houses down, I called my best friend, Kaylie. I explained to her that I needed a place to stay and why, but she declined. She reminded me that Liz would search her house to find me, so she instead texted me directions to an address on the other end of town. She also suggested that I take the subway and keep a low profile. The subway became my newest escape.

* * *

The ride was long and boring, with the faint smell of body odor and rotten food. I plugged the address of the house into my phone's GPS. I continued to walk to the destination, but the sun was setting and I was in the middle of the poor part of town. It was your typical poor neighborhood with houses bunched together, some deserted, trash everywhere, broken streetlights, and old and beaten cars lined up on the curbs.

And here I was, standing in the street, facing an old, rundown one story house. The house was the size of a small apartment, with a porch on the front. As I approached, I noticed a few small flowers embedded in the grass, as if done by a five year old. I walked up the three concrete steps and onto the porch. I knocked on the faded white door. Not a noise was made, but after some time, the door opened. A small girl peeked from behind the door.

"Hey, sweetie," I said to her, "may I come in?"

She gave me a long and hard look, but opened the creaky door for me to step inside. Once inside, I looked around. There were pictures without frames on shelves, one couch, a few fold-up chairs, and only two lamps on opposite ends of the room. The floral wallpaper was slightly peeling, and the house smelled of leftover pizza. The young girl cleared her throat. A blush rose to my cheeks because I realized I just entered her house and had not said anything. I looked at the girl; she might have been about five. With her curly light brown hair, crystal blue eyes, and freckles on her nose, she was just adorable. She wore only a dingy purple dress that seemed to be a bit snug and carried a doll with her.

"Uh—hi. I'm Sophie...Sophie Ellis. I live on the north side of town, but I had to leave. My friend, Kaylie, gave me directions to this house and told me to stay here. Are your parents around? I was hoping to ask if I could stay. I don't have any other places to go," I said in a rush, showing her the texts between Kaylie and me.

The girl seemed to be overwhelmed by my rambling, but it soon made sense to her. She smiled up at me, and gave me a hug.

"My name is Avery!" She told me with a cheery grin.

Six other small children came out from a hallway. I looked down at them all, and I knew they all heard the conversation between Avery and me. They all wore dirty articles of clothing, as if they hadn't been washed in weeks. None of the boys and girls wore shoes either.

Avery used her pointer finger and went down the row," Lily, Sienna, Derek and Eric, they are twins, Christian, and Kyle."

I smiled at them all and said a simple 'hello.' The door flung open and a boy, probably a little older than myself, barged right in. The guy was wearing a stained navy blue jumper that car mechanics usually wear to work, and he had a fairly muscular build to him. I stood in awe of how gorgeous one person could be. From his dirty blonde hair to his cerulean blue eyes, I couldn't get enough. I looked down to the name tag on the jumper that read 'Gavin.' He looked around the room as if it were on fire, until his eyes landed on me.

He gritted his teeth and asked me, "who are you and what are you doing here?"

It came out sounding like a growl instead of a question. He walked over to me and pointed to the door. I showed him the texts, just like I showed Avery. His arm never once moved from the position. The rude guy did shoo away all kids, but Avery stayed.

"Look, I have no idea why Kaylie told me to come here. I really don't. I'm sorry for coming like this, but I really have no other place to go. I can stay here and watch Avery and the other six children all day, I can teach them a few things, I can clean and wash clothes... Please?" I begged.

"I said get out. We don't need some random girl stayin' here and messin' things up for all of us," he spat at me.

I stood there shocked as to what he said. Avery ushered him into the hallway and then another room. I heard whispers and then everything went quiet. I stood there for an eternity—which could have been a solid three minutes. I wouldn't know where to go if he said no to me staying. Where are the parents? Why is the house so run-down? Questions were going to make my mind explode. I remembered to turn my phone off, so the witch couldn't trace me through it. I didn't even notice that Avery came walking back into the living room.

She smiled at me and took my hand into her small hand. "You can stay! Sorry about Aaron, he's really nice once you get to know him. He's my brother. You can sleep in my room, too. But you'll need to tuck me in every night because I'm only four and Aaron forgets."

We continued to walk down a long hallway, and for each door we passed, Avery would tell me to whom each door belonged to. Aaron had his own room, while the twin boys shared another. Then there was Christian and Kyle's room and the two other girls' room. Avery explained that she had her own room because Aaron wanted her to have privacy and her own space. She also explained that Aaron worked at an auto repair shop a few blocks over, and he supported the seven kids living here. She wouldn't go into detail of how or why they were all there, so I didn't make it a point to ask—especially on the first night of my stay.

Once inside Avery's small room, I noticed there was only a full sized mattress on the floor, one chester drawer, and a mirror on the wall. I dropped my bag in a corner of the room and put my hands on my hips. She looked at me, and I thanked her for letting me stay. I reached into my bag and pulled out a tee shirt and my sweatpants. I looked around for a place to change instead of stripping in front of the child.

Avery noticed my hesitation and said, "we're gonna be best friends, Sophie. You can change in here."

I smiled and nodded.

"Sounds lovely, Miss...?"

"James."

"Well, Miss James, being your best friend sounds just perfect!"

She giggled and gave me a colossal hug. I still wondered why Kaylie told me to stay here. How did she know Aaron? The questions were going to make my head explode again. Plus other questions and concerns, such as how I'm going to stay hidden. While I changed, Avery sat in bed.

"Boo, are you not going to change into your pajamas?" I asked her.

She looked down and told me, "I don't own any. I own this dress right now. But when the boys grow out of their clothes, I'll get their clothes!"

I looked at her with awe, but I finally found my voice. I reached into my bag and pulled out my other tee shirt. I walked over to the mattress on the ground and sat next to Avery.

"Avery, would you like to wear one of my tee shirts tonight? I packed this extra one. I will wash your dress tomorrow too, if you would like."

I received a priceless smile from the four year old, and she gave me one single nod of her head. I helped her out of the battered dress and tossed it across the room. The shirt was big on her, but she seemed to love it. Snuggled next to Avery, we soon fell into a deep sleep.

Two and a half weeks passed and I had yet to be found. I never once stepped outside the house or fenced off backyard. I cleaned around the house, washed the few dishes Aaron obtained, washed clothes for myself, the kids, and Aaron, and tucked Avery in every night. The kids and I often played little games outside in the backyard, or danced to music playing through the radio. Aaron and I rarely spoke, for he was still angry at me for staying under his roof—until today.

It was almost ten at night, and Aaron still wasn't home. I was starting to get worried, but I knew he could take care of himself. I was sitting with my legs crossed and arms folded over my stomach when the front door opened. I looked up and saw Aaron standing in the doorway. I rose from the sofa and he shut the door. The house was quiet, and I was the first to speak.

"Glad to see you're home."

Aaron nodded and started to march to his bedroom. I blocked his path and asked him where he was. And he went off on me. He threw a newspaper down to the ground—one that had my picture on the front cover. It stated 'Ellis Girl Missing' in bold letters. I stared down at my school yearbook picture from my senior year. Then I looked back up into Aaron's blue eyes that looked black from the lack of lighting.

"Keep the doors locked and windows sealed for the next couple of days because the north side cops were around this side of town today. Be careful. Don't go to the backyard because they could hear you. Stay inside," he warned me in a gentle tone, nothing like his usual angry voice.

Tears were forming in my eyes but I fought to keep them back. I needed to be strong. Before I knew it, I was crashing my body onto his. His entire body tensed up, but soon relaxed as he wrapped his arms around me. I buried my face into his neck, while he rested his chin upon my head.

I murmured, "I am so sorry for all of this. I didn't mean to put you all in danger. I just—I don't know what to do. Aaron, I'm so sorry. I'm sorry for ever being rude to you, I'm sorry for making you dislike me. I would change it all if I could."

I let out one single tear but Aaron wiped it away with his thumb. He brought his hands to my shoulders and pulled me a few inches away.

He said, "Soph, we'll figure it out. Alright? Everything is going to be okay. I wouldn't let anything happen to you. I didn't want you to stay at first because I knew it would cause trouble. But Sophie, having you here made me realize how much these kids need you. Especially Avery. She needs someone like you. All of our parents have passed away, and it's hard for me to do it all on my own. We need you...especially me. Don't fret, baby. It will be okay."

Everything made sense. The feeling of invincibility was leaving me on cloud nine. He must have felt the same because he was leaning down to let our lips meet. And I was leaning up, as well.

Giggles erupted from the dark hallway and we both smiled at each other. Aaron James flashed me his breath taking smile and I couldn't help but blush. We pulled apart and I spun on my heel, darting to the hallway. The kids all scrambled to get back to bed. I took one last look behind me to see Aaron smirking at me. I bit my lip but then smiled back.

After changing out of my jeans and sitting on the mattress, I pulled the blanket up to Avery's neck. She quickly jumped up and wrapped her little arms around my neck and straddled my waist.

"I love you, Sophie, don't leave me," she whispered.

I smiled and looked down at the little girl in my arms. She was so precious. In that moment, I realized how much she meant to me—how much I needed this little four year old. And most importantly, how much she needed me.

"I love you too, princess," I told her.

I scooped her up and into my arms and laid her back onto the mattress. I pulled the covers up and wrapped an arm around her waist. We both fell asleep knowing the true value of family.

* * *

It was lunch time on a Saturday, and I had just fixed a sandwich for myself and the girls. Aaron took the boys to play frisbee at the local park. We were listening to Aaron's portable radio when a siren blared through the speakers. I lowered the volume on the radio as a deep voice spoke. He spoke of a missing girl, most likely staying in the south side of town; he was talking about me. Heat rose to my face and I swallowed hard. I shut the radio off. Just then, there was a knock at the door.

Knock, knock, knock. I walked closer to the door and looked into the peep hole. Liz stood on the other side, looking angry as ever. She had found me.

I crept back to where Avery, Lily, and Sienna were sitting. I leaned down and whispered to them, "Listen to me, girls, take my phone right here. Call 911, tell them who I am and that my step mother has found me. Tell them we need help, okay? Can you do that? It's important. I love you girls so very much. Go into Aaron's room; there is a small closet in there. Go and hide. Stay there until I come and get you."

There was no way to get out of it, so I walked over and held my hand on the knob. Aaron's words from several days before ran throughout my head.

"Everything is going to be okay."

I drew in a deep breath and opened the door. In Liz stepped, knocking my shoulder along the way. I closed the door and waited for her to speak. She strutted over to the shelf that had the pictures of Aaron and all of the kids. Liz used her bony fingers to pick a lone picture up. In the picture was all of the kids sitting on the front step. She chuckled and threw the picture in the air, letting it fall.

"How did you find me?" I questioned.

"Oh, dear, please. The police are amazing with this sort of thing. However, because I was sleeping with the Chief, I found my way into the system and located you before they did. I wanted to seal the deal, if you get what I mean," she spat.

My eyes widened, yet I was not surprised. Before it registered in my head, Liz was already lunging forward and towards me. I tried to move but failed. Liz sent me hurdling into the wall, knocking my head. I landed on my back and everything was hazy. My vision blurred and my head throbbed.

Liz reached behind her back and drew out a small dagger. Liz kneeled in front of me as she positioned her knife to end my life. I gazed into her cold, grey eyes. I forgave her for everything. From the constant yelling to the need to kill me, I forgave her for it all. Everyone needs forgiveness for their mistakes. I embraced the fact that I would die.

"Everything is going to be okay..." Aaron's same words left my mouth.

Liz brought her dagger higher in the air, ready to strike. Aaron came from behind and wrapped his hand around hers. He guided their hands to her midsection, and with one single puncture, Liz fell. Darkness consumed me as I slipped unconscious.

* * *

Two Years Later...

You probably know the story of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. Well, according to Avery, the story of us ended just like the fairytale did. After I knocked out, Aaron and the kids all settled around me. Aaron plucked up the guts to kiss me, and after he did, I woke up. My head trauma went away, and I moved back to my former house. I also attend an in state university. After Liz passed, the house, the cars, and everything else was placed in my name. I currently reside in my father's mansion with my Prince Charming, or boyfriend, of two years now. (And yes, of course it is Aaron James!) Lily, Sienna, Derek, Eric, Christian, and Kyle all were adopted by loving and caring couples, and we visit each other every couple of months. Avery, the sister I never had, is now six and starting kindergarten at the school where I attended. I guess you could say we are still living our happily ever after. My life has finally come together and now I know where I belong.

The End