A Test of Their Love | Teen Ink

A Test of Their Love

February 1, 2013
By BriRose2014 SILVER, Fremont, Nebraska
BriRose2014 SILVER, Fremont, Nebraska
9 articles 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A man reserves his true and deepest love not for the species of woman in whose company he finds himself electrified and enkindled, but for that one in whose company he may feel tenderly drowsy."
-George Jean Nathan


I couldn't sleep, so I walked down the stairs, heading towards the living room. As I passed the bathroom, I paused to see a painful site.

Richard was curled up on the ground, eyes closed, holding his stomach in pain.

My eyes started to tear up. He looked miserable, like he had blacked out or something.

As I stepped into the bathroom, he heard my footsteps and opened his eyes. He looked up and saw me crying.

"Hey... What's wrong?" he asked, struggling to get up to comfort me.

I knelt down and touched his shoulder. "No," I said, moving my hand up to stroke his cheek. "Don't get up. I'm fine. Nothing's wrong."

"Then why are you crying?" he asked, grabbing my hand and kissing it.

"Seeing you on the ground in pain just scared me. I thought you were dead."

He smirked. "Of course you would. That's why I love you. You care so much about me, it's amazing."

He tried to stand up. I gently set him back down.

"Stop, please. You're in a lot of pain, and the last thing you need is to cause yourself more pain. You're sick. You need to let your body rest." I gently kissed his cheek. "Let me carry you back to bed."

He began to protest. "But I can-"

"No," I said. "I'm going to do this because I love you and I don't want you in more pain than you already are."

He laughed a little, then sighed. "Okay, fine. You win."

I smiled. "Good."

I placed my hands underneath his back and legs and slowly lifted him up. He looked helpless in my arms.

I carried him up the stairs and into the bedroom. I set him in bed and pulled up the covers.

"Mmm," he said, sighing.

I sat down next to him. He took my hand.

"Will you stay here with me? I don't know exactly why, but I feel better when you're next to me."

I smiled. "Of course."

I crawled underneath the blanket and laid next to him. He wrapped his arms around me.

"I love you," he said, smiling.

"I love you, too," I replied.

I put my arms around him and we both kissed. Soon after, we both fell asleep.

Everything was peaceful once again.


The author's comments:
This short story is based off an actual event that happened to me and my boyfriend.