More Than Friends | Teen Ink

More Than Friends

By positiveattitude BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado
positiveattitude BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado

"Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

Monday
“I need to pump up my A game.” I muttered to myself.
Shaggy brown hair, piercing green eyes, olive toned skin… I could go on and on. I won’t…I don’t want to.
At 15, I’m still missing one thing…abs. My 6 pack!!! I don’t even have a 2 pack!
My name is Joseph Wilcock, and sadly I’m 15 years old.
My life is pretty rad. Depending on what you think rad is. Like rad could be totally awesome. I see rad as EXTRODINARILY crazy….and sometimes horrible.
Today I have to go to school, like every other Monday morning. Today I decided to wear my sleekest cloths…to impress someone. Well maybe not to impress her, but you know! Maybe I want her to notice me. Even though we’re already friends…best friends too. Her name is Josephine. She is the greatest person I know!! She has young full black hair,that smells like strawberries. Her hair doesn’t need to be down to look beautiful. Whether it’s down or up, Jose is beautiful. Her smile is breathtaking too!! Gosh!! Her teeth are so straight! I can never get enough of that smile. Even in the dark, I can see her smile, like the brightest star in the midnight sky. Gosh, Josephine’s smile is my second best friend. (BTW: Jose is my 1st!) Not only is her smile gorgeous, but her eyes are too!!
They’re so intense AND friendly at the exact same time. Her eyes are crystal clear blue, with a dark limbal ring, around her iris. When you look into her eyes, you can see a thousand world’s in front of you. You see holy beasts and angels, having supper around a lightly light table, covered in delicacies made from the rich and poor. Believe it or not , Jose’s eyes tell a story. The dark tint of the blue against the lighter blue make Jose appear heavenly. I hope I get to realize the truth behind her eyes
Jose’s skin may be the softest thing I have EVER touched! It’s so delicate, soft, and perfect!! Truly, Josephine is the most beautiful human being I have ever seen. Secretly, I like her…..I like her a lot. I’m just petrified to tell her!! Even if I did tell her she wouldn’t feel the same. I’m waaaay to lame for her!
Now, I’m walking down the stairs to the kitchen, grabbing my toast and milk. The toast was great, but my milk was horrible!!!!
“Blahhhh!!!” I screamed. “What’s in this!! MOM!!”
“Hahaha!!! Idiot you drank the mayonnaise!!” Derek taunted.
“Derek, Danial!! I’m going to kill you!!”
“When your almost late to school?!” Danial said.
“Grrrrrr! Mom, I’m out. Bye!” I yelled over my shoulder as I rushed out the door.
I made it just in time as the bus pulled to a stop, in front of the gay old oak tree. “Hi! Jose!” I said, taking my seat.
“Hey, Joseph,” Jose replied,”How’s it going?”
“Just got pranked by my brothers,” I answered sulkily.
“Haahaha! Again!” Jose giggled.
“C’mon don’t laugh at me!! You’re supposed to be like ‘It’s okay!’ Didn’t you know that?” I asked.
“Oh, okay grumpy, ‘It’s okay!!’” Jose giggled.
“Excuse me! You two! You didn’t notice the bus stopped like 5 minutes ago?’ Our bus drive questioned.
“Sorry! We are getting off!” Jose apologized.
We got down from the bus, and touched soft grass.
“Ummmm….Joseph….I n-need to tell you something.” Jose whispered.
“You can tell me anything.” I answered.
“I-I-I forgot!! Sorry!” Jose said as she ran off.
“W-wait!” I yelled after her.
She was already inside.

Joseph
“Joseph, how should I tell you?” I questioned myself. “I know I need to tell you…tell you how much I love you.”
Joseph is my best friend. He’s so sweet, funny, and just so perfect!! He has this gorgeous wavy brown hair that glitters in the sunlight. His eyes are clover green….they’re so big and adorable! I love it most when he looks at me with those eyes. I feel at ease and at peace with myself. His skin is olive tan. Not too dark or light. Perfect!!
Joseph is so smart too!! He doesn’t think so though… I know he’s smart. He can get straight A’s with his eyes closed!! I can barely get a B with my eyes open…?
Seriously though, I’m going to go mad, if I don’t tell him. Come to think of it, what if he doesn’t like me back?? Then what happens?? UUGGGHHH, this is becoming difficult.
“Josephine, do you want to be late?” my dad questioned.
“No, papa I’m coming!!”
I dashed down the stairs, and grabbed my kisses from papa. Mama was at work…again.
  “I’ll be home late today, papa!” I told my dad.
  “Don’t be too late.” My dad replied.
I made it to the bus a little early, so had time to rehearse.
  “Joseph, I-I like you!” I muttered, “No, no, no! That won’t work. I can’t be so direct!”
I didn’t have time to finish, for the bus was here, and everyone was getting on.
  “Hi! Jose!” Joseph said, taking his seat beside me.
My heart was pounding a thousand beast a minute.
  “Hey Joseph,” I replied,” How’s it going?”
I tried desperately to keep my voice steady.
  “I just got pranked by my brothers.” he answered gloomy.
  “Hahahaha! Again?” I giggled.
“C’mon, don’t laugh at me! You’re supposed to be like ‘It’s okay’ Didn’t you know that?” Joseph asked.
  “Oh, okay, grumpy ’It’s okay,’” I answered.
  “Excuse me! You two you didn’t notice the bus stopped?” our bus driver sneered.
  “Sorry! Where’re getting off now!” I said.
I stopped by the bus door, waiting for Joseph to get down.
  “Ummmmmm…..Joseph….I n-need to tell you something.” I whispered.
“You can tell me anything.” Joseph said gazing into my eyes.
Oh no!! I can’t tell him here or now!! Now what do I do?!?!?!?
“I-I-I forgot!! Sorry!!” I said.
I ran to my homeroom, my cheeks flushing red, and burning intensely.

Wednesday
I ran to the bus, again this morning with a sour taste left in my mouth. Jose wasn’t on the bus today!! I wonder where she’s at. I still sat in my usual spot, but felt a part of me missing! Maybe because whenever I’m with Jose, I become the best of who I am. I can be my geeky nerdy self. *Sigh* I hope Jose is at school. I can’t go even a couple minutes without Jose.
I hopped off the bus, and ran to Jose’s locker. 171, locker 171. I kept reminding myself.
I ran as fast as my two legs could carry me, and came to a blinding halt, in front of Jose’s locker. Jose wasn’t there. Why wasn’t she here?! She should be here!! Jose needs to be here!!
I ran to her first hour, and asked for the attendance line.
“Mrs. Joke, ummm…have you seen Josephine Woodpeck?”
“Josephine Woodpeck? Let me take a look.” She replied.
“Josephine isn’t here.”
“Really?!” I screeched.
I ran back to her locker, and stood around for a while.
Tick ,tock, tick, tock, tick, tock.
20 minutes had gone by. Only 5 more minutes till 2nd  hour. I’ve already skipped 1st hour. I can’t skip 2nd. I’m going to call Jose.
  Hi! You’ve reached Josephine!! I’m really sorry I couldn’t get your call, but if you leave your name, I’m sure to get to you A.S.A.P!! Thanks again!!
“Oh Jose, where are you at?”

Saturday
Josephine and I haven’t talked ever since she ran away Monday. I tried to call her, but she’s ignoring me. It’s been 4 days since I heard her voice. I wonder if I did something wrong. If I did do something wrong, what did I do? I think I should call her…I will. I’ll apologize. I just want things to be right between us.
“Come on Jose!! Please pick up!! Please!!” I pleaded into the phone.
I called her again
“H-hello?” a small voice said on the other side.
“Josephine!! I’m sorry for whatever I did to hurt you!! I miss talking to you on the bus!! I miss seeing you smile!! I miss you!!” I whispered.
There was silence on the other line.
“Joseph…I need to tell you something…” Jose said.
“I need to tell you something too…” I replied.
“I love you.”

More than Friends
The night Joseph told me the truth, my heart melted with joy. I was shocked for a moment, and I could tell he was too. It’s been a little awkward, but we’ll get through…my heart tells me so.
After he called, he insisted that we talk to each other every day. I couldn’t say no. Now he holds me in his arms, and strokes my hair…
He grasps my hands, and tickles my fingers…
He holds my face and piers into my eyes….
He sings my name, and I sing his…..
He kisses my lips, and holds me tenderly….
He makes me laugh, when I frown….
He’s there when no one else is……
And he’s mine…all mine.