Dirty Laundry | Teen Ink

Dirty Laundry MAG

By Zero_K DIAMOND, Moosic, Pennsylvania
Zero_K DIAMOND, Moosic, Pennsylvania

"Life's no fun if you're not insane, otherwise you grow up to be an accountant." -Moi

He is your world. He is the one you would live and die for. You love the color of his skin – different from yours – the perfect balance between light and dark, day and night. You love the way he tells you he loves you. He says he'll marry you someday.

But your mom does not approve. You wonder every day how anyone can be so bigoted. Has she not felt the way you do at some point in her life? She doesn't understand, just rants and raves about your “taste in men” in that nasally voice you hate – the one she only uses when she's angry.

Later you sit on your bed, and turn up the volume on your iPod. “All the Same” by the Sick Puppies blasts through the ear buds.

Wrong or right … black or white … if I close my eyes … it's all the same.

Your mom has forbidden you from seeing him again, and Dad's taken to keeping a shotgun in the living room.

In my life … the compromise … I'll close my eyes … it's all the same.

You remember telling him you were afraid but that you wouldn't stop seeing him. He asked you to run away with him, just drop everything and run, figure it out as you went. But you said you wanted to wait and see if it would blow over. The look in his eyes was sad, as if he knew your parents would never accept him.

You hop off your bed and start shoving clothes into an duffel bag, making a trip to the bathroom for your toothbrush. You head to your desk and stare blankly at a piece of paper, pencil in hand. You write a quote that has been in your heart from the minute your parents told you that you were making a big mistake. It's short, but it's all you need to say.

You head down the hall to the laundry room. Your mom has piles of clothes on the floor, organized by color. You grab bits from every pile and toss them to the middle, creating a mound no longer separated into lights and darks.

Green, yellow, red, blue, black, white – all heaped into one huge pile. You lay your message on the top. It doesn't say who you're with or where you're going, but it wouldn't be hard to figure out.

“Laundry is the only thing that should be separated by color.”

XxilybbyxX SILVER, Saginaw, Michigan

Sometimes we build up walls, not to keep people out; but to see who cares enough to break them down.

i love this and i love the quote it is so true,,, ppl try to put limits on who we can fall in love with but its never really love.... that was beautiful... keep writing! :)

chosenhearts said...
chosenhearts, Killeen, Texas

nerds need love too ;D

No lie this is like sooo true for me!

Darien328 SILVER, Ovid, Michigan

"Courage is the resistance of fear, the mastery of fear, not the absence of fear" -Mark Twain

This is so beautiful.. I almost cried... Nope, I think I might.. It's so tear jerking and emotional. I love it. Great Job! You should definitely keep writing!

JuneTaz said...
This totally deserved to be in the magazine. Everybody's getting more an more racist these days- but when I finished reading this, I felt enlightened by the reality. We're all people. The laundry part was a great addition. Five stars, all the way.

Mystiecub said...
5/5. Good job :D

Posiedensheartbreak SILVER, Denver, Colorado

"Any one can be normal it is pure talent to be weird."

This is such an amazing and inspiring story but I have to ask what inspired this?

Savannalore SILVER, North Branch, South Dakota

Art is all about mistakes and knowing which ones to keep.

Amazing, original, clever analogy:)

ThePeaceDaisy BRONZE, Albany, New York

“Laundry is the only thing that should be separated by color.” - Unknown
I will change this every week!

Wow...it's awesome! I totally felt the emotions. The quote is true, "Laundry is the only thing that should be seperated by color" <3

sasha luvs u said...
I luv this story

Adnama BRONZE said...
Adnama BRONZE, Sidney, Iowa
Wonderful! I loved it.  You need to continue writing.

bookbelle SILVER, Okemah, Oklahoma

"I'm not a smart aleck, I'm just so smart everyone else seems to think so."

Beautiful, incerdible, the kind of story that makes you feel for the characters.

Joshua. GOLD said...
Joshua. GOLD, Las Vegas, Nevada

"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself: Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived, or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?" - Hunter S Tompson

Very nice. Check out my stuff? :)

ChantelleK. said...
ChantelleK., Toronto, Other
If this story was a person I'd marry it.

AmieeHope-Sierra GOLD, Royston, Georgia

And There Will Come A Time, You'll See, With No More Tears. And Love Will Not Break Your Heart, But Dismiss Your Fears.

Amazing. I may only be 13 but I can tell you have a future ahead of you I just wanted to read more and more.

emattox SILVER said...
emattox SILVER, Onancock, Virginia

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. -Ghandi

(In the best way possible.)

emattox SILVER said...
emattox SILVER, Onancock, Virginia

That took my breath away.

TheGirlWhoDancesWithSnowflakes SILVER, Sunnyvale, Texas

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another,
"What! You too? I thought I was the only one."
- C. S. Lewis

Wow. This made me a bit emotional. This is a personal matter for me, because this perfectly describes my mother and my father. My dad is black and my mom is white. My mom's dad actually told my mother that if she married my dad, he would never associate with her or her family ever. Hence why I don't know my only living grandfather. Good job. I'm so adding this to my favorites.

VitaLoyal GOLD said...
VitaLoyal GOLD, Warrrenville, Ohio

IAM SOMEBODY BECUZ EVERYONE IS SOMEBODY.love is a state of mind

nice story i love it alot

WithEyesWideOpen BRONZE, Wayne, Pennsylvania

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

romeo & juliet? but, i really liked it. i love the whole dirty laundry comparison.

Bryce said...
I think this is very kinky how your laundry and the shotgun is involved