Dark Ages | Teen Ink

Dark Ages

It was a long stressful day for Steven, the 17 year old boy, the son of Julia and Jose, but it wasn’t anything out of the ordinary. Steven also had a little sister named Briselda who was just three years younger than Steven. 

10 PM had just struck on the clock reminding the kids its time to head to sleep for school, but who knew the sun wouldn’t wake up with them the next day.. 

It Was an unusual morning having absolutely no sun, having everyone in the town confused about what was going on just hoping it would just arrive soon or later. The government had nothing to say due to being just as confused as everyone else. 

A few days have gone by and the sun still hasn’t struck, everyone is running low on supplies and fear continues to arouse and many decide to stay home and save their gas only for emergencies. The stores were as empty as the water bottles in Stevens house and as empty as everyone's hopes for the sun to come back again. 

Almost a week in, the days are getting colder by the hour and no food is able to be grown anymore due to no sun light, but Julia and Jose have been trying their very hardest to support Steven and Briselda but are also running out of options. Hundred of thousands of people have already died due to hypothermia, starvation and from being ill with no medicines. Jose started feeling ill himself due to his health problems and diabetes, he couldn’t handle the cold and also didn't have anymore medicine for him to take. The house was reaching temperatures lower then 35 degrees celsius and was about to reach a freezing point. 

The very next day Jose sadly passed away in his sleep due to his blood freezing and Hypothermia, his family was devastated but knew it was soon to happen because of his medical conditions.

Their mother also started feeling ill herself and Briselda and Steven didn’t want to lose her as well so they made a journey to go look for some medicine for her in the freezing weather. Steven took his parents car 3 miles away to look for some medicine and as soon as he arrived the car stopped working. Briselda and Steven had to walk their way back home empty handed with nothing but stacks of clothes and jackets on to survive the severe weather. 

Two hours had passed and they finally arrived to their home with a shock on both of their faces once they saw their mom on the floor dead. They think it was due to starvation and at that point, all they had was each other and no car, nor food. Millions have been reported dead at this point and they thought it was the end of the road for them as well, Steven went in for a hug knowing it might be their last one, and as he went in, he bit briseda..

An hour later, Steven felt warm and without hunger.. He ended up eating his sister and the corpse of his dead parents, and he LOVED it. He hasn't felt more powerful and warm in his entire life, almost as if he became immune to the cold. So the more he ate the stronger he became, who knew no sun nor food would bring the monster out of people, Steven went out into the world to look for more flesh.

what if the sun never came back out again? What would the food supply look like? What would the weather look like? What would the world turn into? theres many questions you most likely dont have the answer to, but this story brings that to life. Would you be able to survive weeks in this black out?