The difference of 1 question | Teen Ink

The difference of 1 question

By Windstorm BRONZE, Cupertino, California
Windstorm BRONZE, Cupertino, California

I have often wondered, how do authors create a whole new world which is completely unreal yet believable and relatable. I tried to make a world which is non existing yet believable. I have mostly relied on imagery when I give descriptions about the world and their characters. Imagery is when you use descriptive words to describe a scene or character. The main character is John, who leads a boring life. My favorite part of this set piece is the ending , because it shows what difference just 1 question makes. 

Artemis17 was a robot who had come with a simple goal. Materialize to the earth and take a random person to their parceled universe and give them 3 questions to ask. Answer these questions, send them to earth so they can innovate for the greater good, that benefits everyone. This year’s lucky winner was John. John was actually way less excited than many people who Artemis17 had accompanied. 

The whole place was unbelievable and extraordinary. The place was vast, with a sky that had an unusual color of orangish red with a shade of violet and brown. Looking at the sky seemed to bring cool to John. walking in the place felt like the most pleasant thing John had ever done. Interrupting John’s thoughts about this pleasant weather, Artemis17 says “We have a population of 50% people and 50% robots, to maintain balance while making daily tasks easier.” “Everyone here always works for the greater good. You can ask me 1 question and then you can go back to your planet.” After thinking for a while John finally asks his question “what do you mean by ‘for the greater good’”? Artemis 17 answers “for the greater good means, thinking beyond your personal comfort zone, it means to push yourself forward because it will eventually benefit everyone.” “Now you have to go back” Artemis17 continues “Ok” was the only reply received. After reaching earth, Jon processes everything and then runs off to his home and screams “I got an amazing idea” and then starts planning for a new project.