Collide | Teen Ink

Collide

May 28, 2014
By Dana1 BRONZE, Swansboro, North Carolina
Dana1 BRONZE, Swansboro, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Props:
A toilet
A bottle of water (used as a bottle of alcohol)
A sink
Mirror
Teddy Bear


Characters:
Layla: A seventeen year old girl that is failing out of high school. Her parents are always yelling and grounding her. A ‘troubled’ teenager. She doesn’t care anymore and just likes to party and drink.
Layla at 8: She is cute and bubbly. She is wearing pigtails and a dress, freckles and carrying around a cute teddy bear. She is supposed to represent innocence.
Nicole- Layla’s best friend, wearing trashy clothing and likes to drink and do drugs.
Extras: As many as you would like. They can be used as dancers in the background during the first scene.














(Layla enters from stage left and sees a bunch of people dancing, a few are going to walk off the stage as she walks on. Her best friend Nicole rushes over to her and throws her arms around Layla. Music is supposed to be loud, when talking make sure it’s still somewhat being heard.)
Nicole: (Slurs because she’s already drunk) Where-where have you been? I’ve started drinking without you.
Layla: (Laughs) Yeah, I can tell. Sorry I had to sneak out, my parents were getting on me about my grades again.
Nicole: They shouldn’t care it’s your life and besides you’re already going to flunk out so there’s no trying to pass now.
(Layla rolls her eyes and takes Nicole’s hands off of her.)
Layla: I know that. I’m going to go and find a drink.
(Brushes past Nicole and walks across the stage to the table with many drinks on it. Nicole makes a pouting face and then steals someone else’s drink before joining the group of dancing teenagers. She grabs a bottle and takes a sip. Makes a sour face because the drink is strong)
Layla: This should do.
(She drinks more of the bottle and goes to dance with the huge group of teenagers that are dancing in the middle of the stage.)
(Few Couples stumble hand in hand off the stage and some continue to dance)
Layla is dancing, stumbling over people, acting drunk. She has a bottle of water, but use that as alcohol. She jumps around, dancing to the music. Then she looks like she’s about to throw up. She brushes past people and to the bathroom. Cut the lights and have her now puking into the toilet she is sitting on her feet and music is still blaring. She continues to throw up until Eight year old Layla enters the bathroom.) Go away, can’t you see the bathroom is taken? (Says and throws up again.)
Eight Year Old Layla: (Stares at her, tilts her head to the side.)
Layla: (Once she finishes puking, she flushes the toilet and leans against the wall besides the toilet, not noticing Eight year old Layla yet. She wipes away her running makeup and finally stares at eight Year Old Layla.) Who are you?
Eight year old Layla: Don’t I look familiar?
Layla: (Stares at her for a moment, trying to remember even though she’s in a dazed state.) No (Slurs) You-You shouldn’t even be here you’re like five.
Eight Year Old Layla doesn’t say anything. Layla leans back over the toilet and starts puking again.
Eight Year Old Layla: You shouldn’t be here either you know.
Once she’s done flushes the toilet again and looks at Eight Year old Layla.
Layla: Who are you my mother? I don’t even listen to my own mom, why (looks up at the ceiling) why would I even listen to you? (Looks back at eight year old Layla)
Eight year old Layla: (Sits on the floor across from Layla, her teddy bear in her lap) You should.
Layla: Your opinion doesn’t-it doesn’t matter. You’re like five and I’m seventeen and I’m having an amazing time. (Groans after finishing that sentence)
Eight Year Old Layla: So getting so drunk you can’t even see straight every weekend is having a good time?
Layla: You… do not know me little girl (Points at eight year old Layla)
Eight year Layla: I know you better than you think. I know ever since your brother died you’ve been failing out of school.
Layla: (She rolls her eyes still slurring) Everybody knows that.
Eight year Old Layla: Do they know that you feel like your parents blame you for your brother’s death and that’s why you’re here. To drink away your problems until you feel nothing (She cuddles her teddy bear, holding it against her face)
Layla: How do you know-
Eight Year Old Layla: I also know that when you were little all you wanted to be was a circus performer. Or that you pictured by now you would have a boyfriend and a 4.0 GPA and your brother back with a wife so you could have another sister.
Layla: (Yells) HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS?
Eight year old Layla messes with the bear not answering the question. Layla begins to start crying quietly.
Layla: I- I planned on going to a great school, I wanted to make something. But then- Procel died and I just went downhill. (Start sniffling and slowly begin to take deeper and ragged breaths.) They blame me! They haven’t said it but they do. And I can’t keep feeling this, it hurts. My stomach drops every time they see me because in their eyes I know the truth. I know they hate me for taking away their perfect son.
Eight Year Old Layla: They don’t hate you Layla.
Layla: How do you know, I don’t even know you.
Eight Year Old Layla: You can call me L. Trust me, I know a lot more than you think (she smiles up at Layla and then fidgets with the bear) I know your parents don’t blame you and I know that this isn’t the life you wanted.
Layla: I had it all figured out (Leans head against the wall)
Eight Year Old Layla: Yeah we did. But things change.
Layla: Yeah they do. Listen kid- L- whatever. Whatever you should be you shouldn’t be here. You have your whole life ahead of you. You can be anything that you want to be, you’re not messed up like me. You don’t have years of ruins as your life. I know if I met myself at your age, they wouldn’t be proud. I mean look at me.
Eight Year Old Layla: I’m looking at you, and you seem like someone who just got lost along a very dark and dangerous path. But I have faith that you can find your way back. You just have to try. (Whispers) For both of us.
Layla: What?
Eight Year Old Layla: (Shakes her head and stands up, looking down at Layla) Nothing. Just talking to my bear.
Layla: (Tilts her head at the side, staring at the bear) That bear looks really familiar.
Eight Year Old Layla: Layla-
Layla: You know you’re pretty smart for a kid (Stares back up at Eight Year Old Layla) I wish I was as smart as you when I was younger.
Eight year old Layla: (Smiles at her) I believe that you were. I also believe that you can make things right. You are strong enough to pull out of this alive, I have faith because we were always a strong kid.
Layla: We? But-
Eight Year Old Layla: (Smiles at Layla and winks) I don’t know you? As I said it before I know you better than you think.
(The lights cut off)


The author's comments:
"What would your eight year old self think if they saw you now?"