How Volunteering Can Change Your Life | Teen Ink

How Volunteering Can Change Your Life

I started volunteering in grade nine. It was something I'd always wanted to do but never felt I could. Once I started however, there was no stopping.
Volunteering has really changed me and made me more grateful, more caring and more understanding. I volunteer with the elderly and for most teenagers this might sound like a bore. It really isn't though!!
Every week I come out of the home having learnt something new. I used to go visit an elderly woman (who I will name baba), she had so much to teach me about life and she was always there to listen to me. It felt as though she was doing a great deed for me not as though I was doing anything for her. She has inspired me to become a better woman, to become stronger in my opinions and my faith and to always stand up for people who can't stand for themselves. Baba passed away at this summer and I miss her more than I can describe. She became my mentor, my friend, my grandmother and my guide. No one could have taught me the things she taught me and I will forever be indebted to her.
For those of you who don't know whether to volunteer or not I say go for it. You never know what you will learn and you may just find that there is a lot to learn from giving your time to others.
Although baba is gone I will never forget her and she will always be in my heart. There's no better way for me to say thank you to her than to continue to volunteer and encourage others to volunteer too.
Thank baba for all you did for me!!