Teaching Olivia | Teen Ink

Teaching Olivia

October 30, 2016
By Anonymous

I have always been concerned with mental health and bullying, but I never knew how to help until I started helping out at the small child care center at my local recreational center. The parents would drop their kids off, some eager to play while some others whined for the mothers, and they would stay for 3 hours: I thought this would be an easy job watching kids, but I was soon proved extremely wrong.

 

Everyone seemed to get along with each other and play joyfully, but one caught my eye: Olivia, a small Indian girl, appeared to be 6 but could barely walk. I asked the workers there if they knew anything about her, to which simply replied, “Her parents are weird, and she’s probably retarded.”

I watched from a distance as she joyfully waddled up to her peers, waving toys in their faces as if she was asking them to play. The other children would make disgusted faces and run away quickly to another area, afraid to be seen with THAT girl. I walked up to Olivia quietly and said “Hi! Do you wanna play?”. To my surprise, she repeated what I said exactly. I realized that she couldn’t speak English, let alone her mother tongue of Hindi.

I went home that day and immediately started googling methods to teach children English, regardless of the fact that I was busy with my overloaded classes as a sophomore in high school. I frantically made flashcards, cut out fun objects, and begged my mom to take me back as soon as possible.

 

For weeks on end, I read countless books and made hundreds of flashcards all for Olivia. One day, her mother, who came to pick her up a few minutes early, saw this and immediately burst into tears. “Thank you, thank you, thank you…”, she quietly said as she engulfed me in her arms. I later learned that Olivia had been coddled her entire life, carried by her parents and never potty trained, and now her mother was feeling an overwhelming sense of guilt from it. “I’ve messed up her life”, she cried as she stroked Olivia’s head.

 

A few weeks later, Olivia was diagnosed with autism. I never heard of the news until 4 months later, but that never stopped me from teaching, because regardless of the fact that she still doesn’t know my name and can’t speak full sentences, she has effected me greatly. Her bright, bubbly personality that shines whenever I meet her has taught me to be optimistic about each situation, regardless of the circumstances, and has given me outlook on becoming understanding and caring to my peers.

As a current junior, I am continually trying to spread awareness about autism and special needs to others and give my peers the same outlook about people with special needs as Olivia gave to me. I still volunteer at the recreational center that I did 2 years ago, and Olivia still greets me with the same bubbly smile as she once did, and we’re currently working on learning animal names.

 

I only wish to teach Olivia as much as she has taught me about life.


The author's comments:


2 years ago, I snagged a volunteering opportunity that was supposed to be a 6 month commitment with little to no work. In the present, I am still volunteering there and making more of an impact than I ever thought I would.