Mr. Destache | Teen Ink

Mr. Destache

February 15, 2023
By AHSwriting2023 PLATINUM, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
AHSwriting2023 PLATINUM, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
21 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Sophomore year was difficult. I had to double up my math course. In the summer of my freshman year, my summer tutor told me, “If you take Advanced Algebra pray you don’t get Mr. Destache. He’s not a bad person, he’s just a really strict grader.” So when that time came, I was nervous. I heard the rumors about Mr. Destache. Then I saw that I had him as a teacher.


Then my mom had an open house at her school. She needed my help setting up and I walked into the school. My mom was so content. She came up to me.


“Did you see Mr. Destache?” 


“No?” I responded.


“I have his daughter!” She smiled. “Go say hi, he’s outside!”


So I walked outside and saw Mr. Destache. I walked up to him and said hi. He didn’t look as intimidating as everyone told me, he seemed friendly and understanding, especially having volunteered to give directions for the new students. 


I never thought I would walk in and actually enjoy his class. Mr. Destache taught like a college teacher. He taught quickly. He would move around and look everyone in the eye. He was so confident in what he was teaching. He would work on problems actively in front of students. He always offered help in the morning. He would get to school at 0645 in the morning to help students understand the lesson. I went in a few times, I felt foolish, so I stopped. But then I came back. I needed help and I appreciated the way he taught. 


I told him, “I understand what you’re saying, but I have no idea what to do.” With that, I came in every morning and we would work on every lesson and make sure I understood the concept. 


I recognized Mr. Destache outside of the classroom as well. I saw him as an advocate and as a teacher, which helped me have trust in going in and asking him for help. He would volunteer his time to work at my moms school to put on dances for her students, he would dance with the students, and he’d put his family first. He cares so much about his family that he wore a mask sophomore year, when it was no longer required. He balanced everything so well. So many rumors about Mr. Destache, they were all erroneous. His class was strenuous, but it set us up for success. He taught us to advocate for ourselves, he taught us to be independent, he taught us to figure things out on our own, he taught us math. Mr. Destache had our backs, he would always help us. “If you ever need a recommendation for anything, I will write one for you.” He told us on the last day of school. Mr. Destache is one of the most preeminent teachers, whether it be for math or for life. He cares about his students as a whole, not just for 40 minutes each day.