My Tap Shoes | Teen Ink

My Tap Shoes

May 29, 2013
By Emily M BRONZE, Staten Island, New York
Emily M BRONZE, Staten Island, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Click....Clack.....Tap.... The sounds of my childhood, the music to my life. Small, white instruments with voluminous bows, followed by black wedged agents of expression, and finally high-heeled channels of musicality and emotion: the progression of my tap shoes, the advancement of my life. A simple shoe with a metal “tap” attached has been a defining object during my life’s journey. After placing on my first-ever pair of tap shoes, my average-sized, ordinary feet transformed to musical instruments; the song they played and the tune they carried was dependent on me. I was the composer.

My first pair of tap shoes, fitting just snug, were worn more than my regular shoes. Although they were only a cheap pair of shoes with a thin, flimsy strap and buckle, they were awe-inspiring and confidence-boosting agents. Placing on tap shoes allowed the young, shy Emily to express her love of dancing and ultimately her love of life. Tap shoes, unlike traditional musical instruments, allow one to convey various emotions through the strong or weak syncopations produced by the taps striking the floor. Loud, flat footed tapping relieves the stress or anger bottled up within the composer. While dainty, “feathery,” tapping conveys the joy of success or random bursts of happiness from within. The varying pace of tapping can further depict the composer’s emotions. For example, fast, abrupt motions produce a hasty song, often conveying the never-ending rush of life. Slow, intricate motions, on the other hand, produce a joyful melody that can express the desire to slow-down and appreciate the little gifts of life. The ability to control the rhythm being produced by the taps is simply intoxicating. Although I’ve ended formal tap lessons, I still have the need to tap throughout my house and even perform various combinations under my desk at school. The fluidity of the sounds and the leisurely movement of the shoes gracefully aided in my transition from a child into a young adult. Although the steps remained the same, the deliverance began to change as I became immersed in the challenges of growing-up. My tap shoes soon became a “safe haven,” a physical stress reliever. The scuffs they display and the terribly worn out soles serve as reminders of the struggles and triumphs I’ve faced up until this point. Although they are no longer used to their fullest potential, one thing is certain: they have shuffled me into the life I live today.