Manipulation | Teen Ink

Manipulation

By Maria_B BRONZE, Morrisville, Pennsylvania
Maria_B BRONZE, Morrisville, Pennsylvania

Author's note: This was inspired by a dream I had a while ago. My dream mainly consisted of the second chapter, but I wanted to know what happened prior to the forest. (Not exactly sure if I'm going to keep the title)

“Where is your brother? He should have been home ages ago,” my mother asked. I shrugged even though she wasn’t looking. She continued to mutter under breath and stole frequent glances at the old clock above the kitchen entrance. It hadn’t been very long since the factories let out, but my mother was right to worry; my twin should have been home by now. And these days, people went missing without a warning.
True, it has been about six years since Versol has taken over Halytha, and soldiers are now a common sight around the town, but there is still unease and the numerous resistance groups haven’t given up the idea of freedom. Since the invasion, there have been multiple, drastic reforms to our beloved country. What was once a republic is now a dictatorship. Any male over the age of 15 works in the factories and the women work in small shops. A large percentage of the profit from the steel and metal we make is given to Lord Gunath, the ruler of Versol. Because of the little surplus left for the citizens of Halytha, many of us live in poverty, living off the meager wages we receive every few weeks.
When the troops first arrived, I remember my parents were terrified. They read all the obituaries, scanning the articles for anyone we knew. There were many. Anyone who seemed a threat was killed. I remember going to a funeral almost every week. Except it was always in secret because large groups were not allowed to form without government permission.
I heard Mama’s sharp inhale as the back door opened. It was my oldest brother, Ethan, and my father. He looked at Mama’s face, but before he could say anything, there was a banging at the front door. My younger brother, Simon went to open it, but Papa got there first. There was Aiden sandwiched between two soldiers I recognized; they were two of the more frequent faces around town. I could hardly recognize my brother; he looked like a slab of meat in the butcher shop. The right side of his face was turning a deep shade of purple and a cut ran from his left temple to his chin. His shirt was torn and I could see welts on his shoulders. I shuddered to think of what his back looked like.
“Is there a problem, officer?” my father asked. One of the soldiers stepped forward. He was very tall and had huge biceps. I had seen him dish out beatings and knew he had done this to Aiden. The other soldier was shorter and was actually rather pleasant when he was alone. He was more of the brains rather than brawn type. He would have been the one standing watch as Biceps doled out the punishment. “The boy was seen trading with a known black market dealer,” Biceps answered.
Nothing was said for a few seconds. Then Papa quietly said, “I would like to see these items, if you please.”
Brains shifted uncomfortably. “Well you see we haven’t actually found the items in question.”
“You have arrested my son on these charges, yet you have no evidence?”
“He was apprehended in an alley with no possible place to hide them, but they were nowhere to be found when we searched him.” Despite government authority being on his side, Brains seemed nervous crossing words with my father. “But rest assured there is an investigation going on. Those items will be found,” Biceps added, practically growling. He shoved Aiden through the door and left, Brains trailing behind.
Aiden collapsed on the floor once the door was shut. My father and Ethan carried him to my parents’ room and put him on the bed. Ethan’s wife, Ava, retrieved her medical supplies. I watched as she and Mama pulled the off the remains of Aiden’s shirt and cleaned all the blood off, leaving welts that crisscrossed all over his back. He whimpered as they slathered a slave over his wounds. I continued to stare even though tears blurred my vision; I could feel my brother’s pain. Papa put his arm around me and guided me into the kitchen. Ethan had managed to save the small chicken that was for dinner. Through a daze, I fed my two younger brothers and little sister and got them ready for bed.
I returned to the kitchen just as Mama and Ava came in. Ethan was already sitting at the table and Papa was standing by the old wood stove.
“He had some fabric and thread and some sweets for the children,” Mama said. “I tried to find out where he hid them, but he wouldn’t tell me.” Her voice broke and she started sobbing.
My father sighed and started to pace back and forth. “They said there was an investigation. That means they could figure it out. We’ll have to run.”
“Papa,” Ethan started, “They could be bluffing. And even if there really is an investigation going on, it may take a long time. We can figure something out before then. Besides, you were questioned in the beginning and they didn’t find out anything.”
The beginning. When they did background checks on every man of the house. Papa spent an entire week in the capital. Every night, Mama stayed awake late into the night and cried. Our whole family was on edge except May who was only a small child at the time. But Papa came home and the fear in out lives subsided a bit. Now it was it was back.
“The only reason I got away with my life was I don’t have any powers. Aiden does. They’ll question and torture him and eventually they’ll figure it out. Then none of us are safe. No, our only option is to run. Start packing tonight. We have to be ready at a moment’s notice.”
Leave? Where would we go? I had a million questions to ask. Instead, I made my way to the bedroom where Aiden was. When I came in, he opened his eyes as if he had been waiting for me. He was lying on his stomach and his back was covered in bandages. “How are you feeling?” I asked, even though I only needed to read his face to find out.
“All right, I guess,” he grimaced. He gave a dry laugh. “Better than before.” Then suddenly he lifted his head and an impish smile appeared on his face. “Do you want to know where I put them?” He glanced to the small table beside the bed. The air around a space the size of a book rippled. There sat a pile of wrinkled fabric and thread with chocolate bars on top. “I had them all along.”
Because the soldiers couldn’t find the items, Aiden had escaped jail, or possibly death. Aiden and I had similar powers: manipulating matter. I could make objects move—pick them up, throw them, etc. My twin could make things invisible. I was rather surprised that he had the strength. Our powers weren’t fully developed yet and couldn’t be used for extended amounts of time before taking a physical toll on our bodies. My brother’s power was how he sneaked the fabric and candy past the soldiers. That’s also why we needed to leave. If there really was an investigation going on, sooner or later the truth would be discovered. The government had already questioned Papa, but since he didn’t have any powers, naturally they let him go. But now, they might realize their mistake and take us all in.
“Why did you do it?” I asked, “You promised you wouldn’t go to the market again.”
“Why?” he asked incredulously. “Why? Because Mama and Ava needed more material to make clothes. Especially with winter coming on. Anya, look at your own dress. It’s torn in so many places.” I did look and realized he was right. I had gotten so used to it, I didn’t notice anymore. “The candy? You want to know why I took that when it’s not important.” He paused and for a few seconds I could see life pour back into my brother. “Because I had to. May has never tasted chocolate; Simon and Bennett haven’t had it for years. I saw it and knew I had to give it to them. I needed to give them something to be happy about.”
It broke my heart to think of my younger siblings never knowing how much joy in life there could be. “We have to leave,” I told him. “It’s not safe here anymore. There’s going to be an investigation. The government will get involved and we’ll be discovered. Papa said we need to be ready to leave at any time.”
Aiden’s head fell back on the pillow. He didn’t need to say anything, but I knew he was blaming himself.
“It’s not your fault,” I reassured him, though I don’t think he heard me. Then I brushed his hair, dark and thick, away from his face. “I’ll pack your stuff,” I said as I stood.

I woke up the next day to a feeling of dread. I felt as if something bad was going to happen. I shook the feeling away and went downstairs to start the day. Papa and Ethan had left for work at dawn. Mama insisted Aiden stay home from work to heal. It would get deducted from his paycheck which wasn’t much to begin with, but he needed to get better. After breakfast, Mama and Ava left for their jobs at the food store.
For most of the day, I tended to Aiden and helped May with her lessons. School was only for those who had money. Aiden and I had learned to read before the invasion so I taught my brothers and sister while everyone else was at work. I also packed a few more items in my siblings’ packs. Just in case. When it came time for lunch, I saw there wasn’t much food. In all the commotion of yesterday, no one noticed we were running low. I checked on Aiden then went out to the store.
I wasn’t even halfway there when my friend, Elle ran up to me. She was 18, just a year older than I and therefore had to work in one of the stores. She pulled me into an alleyway. “Anya, they’re looking for you!” she panted. “Your whole family. Soldiers and police. You need to get home.”
“Are you sure?” She nodded, out of breath. I glanced around the wall and saw soldiers running from the station towards town. “Elle, can you warn my mother and Ava? And Papa and Ethan, if you can?”
“I’ll try,” she replied. She gave me a swift hug then peered out of the alley. “It’s clear, go!” I gave her one last smile before we ran in opposite directions. I ran as fast as I could without being too conspicuous.
“Aiden, Simon! Bennett!” I called to my brothers, “They’re coming; we need to go!” I locked all the doors; I knew it wouldn’t stop anyone trying to get in, but it would slow them down. Simon and Bennett hurried to gather everyone’s packs while May got the little food we had and put it in another pack. I rushed to Aiden who had already gotten up and was making his way out of the room. I grabbed the salve and extra bandages. Just as we all met in the hall, we heard a pounding on the door. A muffled shout came through.
“Police! Open your door!”
It was clear we weren’t going out the front door and it was likely they had the house surrounded. The only other option was going through the attic which served as Ethan and Ava’s room. We would have to climb on the roof and escape that way.
All that was needed was a glance toward the hall and everyone understood the plan. Aiden took May’s hand and led the way. I spotted the cord used to pull down the stairs, but was too short to reach it. Aiden’s face contorted in pain as he pulled the steps down. I pushed Bennett towards the stairs first. He climbed up, followed by Simon and May. When I reached the attic, they had already opened the small window which served as a vent. As soon as the stairs had been pulled up, we heard a crash. The soldiers had broken the door down and were searching the rest of the house. Simon climbed through the window and was first on the roof. I lifted up May and handed her to Bennett who was outside now as well.
“They’re up here!” a voice shouted from behind us. A young soldier was pulling down the stairs, revealing us. He came up, flanked by two others. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my twin get out. I swung my arm out using my power to throw the men back down. Hands came through the window and lifted me up. We didn’t bother to shut the window; it would take too much time and it was no secret where we were headed. We ran across the tops of our neighbors’ houses towards the forest beyond the town. Behind us, some soldiers had gotten on the roof and begun their chase.
Suddenly a shingle exploded at my feet causing me to stumble. They were shooting at us! To my surprise Aiden turned around and shot back using a small black pistol. I didn’t have time to wonder where he had gotten it as we picked up our pace, jumping over the growing distances between houses. Finally the distance was too big to jump.
“What do we do?” I asked my twin.
“I’ll jump over then you use your power to ferry them over,” Aiden panted. I hesitated. He was pale, pain etched all over his face. “Anya, we have to.” He was right, it was our only choice.
Aiden took a running start and made it across to the other roof. It took more strength than I thought to lift Simon and Bennett across to where Aiden was waiting. I didn’t notice the shooting had stopped until I heard May’s shriek of terror.
I spun around and saw my little sister trapped in the arms of a soldier. She was struggling to get free, but she was too small. I ran towards her only to have another soldier grab me from behind. I scratched and clawed anywhere I could reach, but like my sister, I couldn’t break free.
“Anya!” May screamed. Fear ripped through me as I saw her being carried to the other side of the roof. Suddenly something jumped into my hand and I rammed it into the belly of my captor. He grunted and his arms fell away. I looked at the object in my hand. It was a knife with a long blade. I glanced down. The soldier who had caught me was now lying in a pool of blood, his eyes staring up into the sky, but not seeing a thing. I had killed him. My throat closed up, my head spun.
I was pulled back to reality by May’s cries. I used my power to pull back the man holding May. I punched him in the face, grabbed my sister and threw her over to where my brothers were watching helplessly. I leaped over the distance and landed on the very edge. I would have fallen if Bennett hadn’t grabbed my arms and pulled me over. Aiden scooped May up and we ran to the last house which had been destroyed in a fire a few years ago.
Part of the roof had fallen and we ran down makeshift ramp and into the forest. We were about 20 feet into the trees when we turned around and looked to see if anyone had followed us. Instead we saw a cloud of fire and smoke approximately where our house stood. It had been destroyed. I don’t know how long we stood there speechlessly watching the smoke rising up into the sky. Our silence was interrupted when we heard May crying. My brother put her down and she ran to me, throwing her arms around my waist.
“Are you alright, sweetie?” I asked once her sobs turned into hiccups. She nodded and I pushed her dark hair, so much like mine, away from her face. Simon and Bennett were sitting on a log not too far away. Simon’s eyes were red from the tears he held in. At almost fourteen, he thought he was too grown up to cry. Bennett was 3 years younger and had no problem crying over the events of today. I felt a hand on my shoulder. It was Aiden. His eyes moved toward my left hand. I was still holding the knife. My head started spinning again thinking about the man I had killed. I was about to throw it away, but he stopped me. “We can use it as a weapon.” I tucked it in my belt loop, secretly hoping I wouldn’t have to use it again.
“What are we going to do?” I whispered.
“Papa told us if we got separated to go to Cyre, right? So that’s where we’ll go. We’ll keep to the forest, though. There’s a stream around here and we’ll follow it to Cyre. We’ll find Mama and Papa and Ethan and Ava. We will!” I felt more confident hearing the assurance of Aiden’s plan. I offered to change his bandages, but he refused saying the most important thing now was to keep moving.
It was sunset when we finally stopped. Aiden made a small fire while I took out some food. After we had eaten, I redressed Aiden’s wounds. When I was finished, he stood up and announced he was going to have a look around. “I won’t go far,” he assured me. “Come on Simon.” Simon looked surprised he was going with Aiden, but eager to help. “You still have the knife, right?” my twin asked. I nodded, unable to think about anything at the moment but the man who was now dead because of me.
Noticing my distress, Aiden put his hands on my shoulders. “Anya. If trouble comes, you need to use it. Promise me. Promise you’ll use it to protect May and Bennett. And yourself.” He gave me a quick hug then headed off into the dense forest with Simon.
I huddled by the fire with May and Bennett, none of us making a sound. Finally May fell asleep, her head in my lap. My younger brother was lying on the ground looking at the darkened sky. I sat there watching the wood being eaten by the flames. It reminded me of the house in my old town that had been destroyed by fire. Our house would become like that. Blackened wood, mounds of ash, soot covering the traces of our life. Thinking of all this, it finally hit me: there was no going back. This was not a bad dream I would suddenly wake up from. Everything was real.
My thoughts were interrupted by the return of my brothers. Simon, exhausted, went over and curled up next to Bennett and immediately fell asleep. Aiden sat down next to me.
“Did you find anything?” I asked.
“We found the stream. We’ll follow it north tomorrow. We should get to Cyre in a few days.” He looked at May to see if she was still sleeping—she was. Her face completely free of the fear she had earlier. “The forest is really deep. Simon and I walked a good 200 yards and there was no break in the trees.” I read between the lines: even if we did follow the stream, there was no way of knowing when we actually reached Cyre.
I put my hand over Aiden’s. “We’ll make it. We have to.”

The next few days, we walked all day only stopping once or twice to eat. We made no fire except for at night when we stopped. On the fifth day we had to stop early. One moment Simon was right next to May, the next he was doubled over retching. I ran over to him and held his hands. They were like ice, but when I felt his head, it was warm. Aiden made a fire and carried him close to it. I tried to feed Simon some bread, but he refused. I gave it to May and Bennett instead. “We need to find a town or something where we can get medicine. And food,” I told Aiden. He emptied our food bag nodded hen left with it.
After only a short time, Aiden came running back. “There’s a city close by!” he exclaimed. “We can stay there for the night, re-supply, and get medicine for Simon.”
“I don’t think we should move him,” I said quietly. In the time Aiden had been gone, my other brother’s temperature had risen from warm to burning. He had fallen into a fitful sleep, twitching and moaning at times. It scared me how fast his condition was deteriorating. It wasn’t an ordinary sickness.
“I’ll go.”
“Alone?” I asked. I wasn’t comfortable with Aiden going into an unfamiliar town by himself. But we couldn’t move Simon and I couldn’t go with him and leave May and Bennett alone. “I’ll be fine, Anya. I can get food, medicine and find out where we are.” I gave in, even though there was a part of me that felt like it wasn’t right.
“I’ll be back before you know it.” He hugged me and vanished from sight.
For the remainder of the day, I tended to Simon and tried to calm my feelings of uneasiness. Bennett and May amused themselves by wading in the stream and seeing who could make the bigger splash with stones.
Watching them, a sense of tranquility washed over me. If the rest of my family was present and Simon wasn’t sick, I could see us living out here, happy and way from the problems of the world. However, as night approached, I started to worry again. Aiden had been gone for hours and I could not ignore feeling something had gone terribly wrong.
I made a fire and divided up the remainder of the food. I sat watch, staring into the blackness of the forest. “I’ll keep watch tonight,” a tiny voice said from behind me. My eyes flew open. I hadn’t even realized I was falling asleep!
“No, no. I’m fine,” I told May. “Go back to sleep.” But May just sat down beside me and rested her head on my shoulder.

The next morning I woke with a start. I had fallen asleep! I looked around for my brothers and sister. I would never forgive myself if they had gotten hurt. Instead I found May kneeled beside Simon and Bennett still curled up sleeping. “Why didn’t you wake me up?” I asked my little sister.
“You were really tired, Anya. I figured you could use the sleep.” She was right. I did feel better now that I had slept. “Did Aiden come back?” I asked. She shook her head.
I went to wake up Bennett. “Come on, Benny, get up. We need to—” I stopped because May gasped and I spun around. A dozen men emerged from the foliage, surrounding us. They all had guns. I whipped out my knife, hoping I looked like I knew how to use it. One man stepped forward. When I focused on him, I realized he was younger than the others, about my age perhaps. He had a gun as well. He walked towards us and I positioned myself between him and my siblings. He stopped a few feet away from us and gave a one-sided smile.
“Put the knife down, love. Someone could get hurt.”