The Black Angel Rises | Teen Ink

The Black Angel Rises

By Azrael BRONZE, Santa Ana, California
Azrael BRONZE, Santa Ana, California

"To lie to him was to ruin him..." Schuyler Van Alen on Jack Force from the Blue Bloods Series by Melissa De La Cruz.

“Don’t hurt me,” she cried.

The rain made it hard for her to see what was happening. Suddenly, he appeared and fought off the evil angels.

She tried to get up, but her ankle was twisted. She watched as he pierced a sword through one of them and they turned to ash. The other, fear grew in his eyes that he fled.

“Are you okay?” the green eyes looked at her, worried.

She didn’t say anything since he had looked at her ankle.

“You broke your ankle,” he moved and caressed the wound.

She saw a green light appear and soon the pain was gone.

“What...” she was speechless and met his eyes.

“You’re not the only one...” he answered.

I wrote this in a confusing state because I want the reader 2 feel how Ravelle would feel as she progresses more into her story.

School is like an inferno, waiting to ruin you, Ravelle Midnight thought as she entered her school hallways. She loved going in the mornings to sit by the indoor fountain and read since during school it is occupied with the popular crowd with Brittany as their leader. She used to be Ravelle’s neighbor and friend before she began to hang out with a new crew and ignored Ravelle. Since then, Ravelle was a loner until she met Fernan Admetis. Like her, he was an outcast and they understood each other. As soon as she sat down, she heard someone enter.

“That’s my place.” the voice was angry.

“I’m sorry, but your name’s not on it.” Ravelle muttered sarcastically and looked up at Brittany.

“Oh shush up Midnight, you have no reason to be sitting in my place.” Brittany tossed her brunette hair behind her.

“Watch that mouth of yours Dermont; you don’t want it bruised, do you?” Ravelle threatened as she pulled her boot and fixed it in position.

“Har de har har, like you could.” Brittany mocked.

“Do you remember Dylan Islas?” Ravelle brought up.

“Yeah, he was in the hospital two months because he was badly bruised across his mou...” Brittany stopped and looked at Ravelle with fear in her eyes as Ravelle nodded.

Instantly, Brittany backed up and ran. Soon, the school began to fill up with students and Ravelle sulked away to the library for the next hour.

Ravelle walked to her desk as the bell was about to ring and sat down. She heard the bustling of everyone in her class as they chatted away. Ravelle sat there wishing she was at the library instead of this blackhole known as school. She could hear the head cheerleader and school president, Brittany, as the loudest one in the class, but her voice was wiped out as the bell rang.

“She’s so annoying right?” a familiar voice asked Ravelle.

“Hey,” Ravelle greeted Fernan as he sat next to her, “yes, she is annoying.”

“Yea, can you believe she is making a big fuss about her hair, just listen.” Fernan pointed.

They watched as Brittany messed around with her hair before she suddenly stopped and eyed the doorway. Fernan and Ravelle turned their heads and there was a new boy standing at the doorway. He had hair the color of midnight with golden tips, which look permanent. He had bright emerald green eyes Ravelle found strange, they looked familiar to her. Just as the new boy arrived, Mr. Bellephron appeared from his backroom and extended his hand for the new boy to give him the teacher slip, which Mr. Bellephron signed and gave back to the new boy.

“Everyone, this is Xander Rosemend.” Mr. Bellephron introduced.

“He’s gorgeous,” Brittany muttered to Lervaine who giggled in agreement.

Ravelle rolled her eyes and began to take notes for her history class.

“Where do I sit?” Xander asked in a smooth, melodic voice.

“Right next to Ravelle, she’s sitting in the back seat next to the window. Ravelle, will you please stand up.” Mr. Bellephron raised his voice.

Ravelle stood as Brittany, Clara, and Lervaine scowled at her. Despite the three being popular and pretty, Ravelle was far more gorgeous then them. She had eyes the color of the ocean- a deep frozen blue, deep black hair, an expression guys find alluring, and fair skin. She looked up to meet Xander’s eyes and his expression was in awed. Ravelle looked away in disgust. But as soon as Xander was walking towards his new desk, Ravelle sat down and waited for Mr. Bellephron to turn around that way she can finish sketching what she saw out the window. A few moments later, Ravelle saw a shadow illuminating in front of her and knew it was him.

“Shoot, make him go away.” Ravelle muttered under her breath, just as a piece of paper was passed to Mr. Bellephron.

“Ravelle Midnight, you are to meet the counselor at the end of the day.”

“Okay,” Ravelle was glad.

“Moving on class, take out your notebooks and start a new sheet on why Heaven was more important than Life.” Mr. Bellephron headed to the backroom.

Its best to see how the story progresses and I was bored so I added a few conlicts

“Man, I almost fell asleep.” Fernan laughed.

“It’s been four classes and you love art class.” Ravelle muttered, poking at her salad.

“Yeah, but the substitute is so boring. What kind of teacher has a name related to a crayon?” Fernan asked.

At this question, Ravelle began to laugh. Fernan joined in and everyone watched them, wondering if they were crazy or stupid. Ravelle out of the corner of her eye saw another shadow swirling in circles.

“Fernan, I got to go. See you after you return from Venice after winter break.” Ravelle got up and instantly ran into Xander, when all her stuff fell.

“I’m sorry,” Xander replied in his smooth, dark voice.

“Doesn’t matter, I really got to go.” Ravelle, with the help of Xander, collected her stuff and she ran.

“Wait,” Xander yelled, holding Ravelle’s sketchbook in his hand.

Ravelle kept running with Xander tailing her until she saw where the shadow was. Xander hid behind a tree and listened.

“I’m suppose to be having a normal life.” Ravelle spoke to it.

“I’m sorry sweetie, but I really need to tell u something.” Ravelle’s mom appeared before her.

Apparently, Ravelle only had her mother’s eyes and the rest of her was that of her kidnapped father. It hurt Ravelle’s mom to see Arestis in Ravelle, she was pained that at times she had to look away, even Ravelle knew this.

“Mom, please look me in the eye. I know you hate how much I look like dad, but I’m telling you I’m so close to finding where he is.” Ravelle pleaded.

“That’s what I was trying to tell you. You’re in danger, and they hunting you down.” Ravelle’s mom warned as she removed a strand of blond hair from her face.

“Jonethen?” Ravelle questioned.

“Yes, Jonethen is looking for you. He’s an angel and I’m just a vampire. I can’t fight him off sweetie, only if your father was here.” Ravelle’s mom began to tear up.

Ravelle hugged her mom and she hugged her back.

“I don’t care mom; I’m going to keep trying. It’s been 5 years, and I don’t care if Jonethen gets in my way. I’m going to find dad and I will soon find a way to stop Jonethen. Soon, we’re going to be together as a family. Never again shall we part.” Ravelle declared.

“Hope so.” Ravelle’s mom look saddened.

“What’s wrong?” Ravelle asked.

“Oh nothing sweetie, I wanted to also tell you that I’m going out of town to hunt Jonethen’s werewolf and vampire allies.” Ravelle’s mom was still sad.

“What’s truly wrong?” Ravelle asked.

“I can’t protect you, so I had to ask someone as equally as powerful as you.” Ravelle’s mom turned around.

“Powerful?” Ravelle was confused.

Her mom began to walk away, but Ravelle grasped her arm.

“Please not now, tell me who you’ve asked.” Ravelle begged.

“I’m sorry, but you’re going to have to stay with your aunt until I get back. Meanwhile the person I asked is already watching you.” Ravelle’s mom would not look at her.

“I’m not going to stay with my aunt and have her ruin me again. I’m going to stay in Avron’s penthouse and I don’t care who is watching me, I will have revenge on Jonethen.” Ravelle whispered sharply as she turned on her heels and left back for her 5th period class, leaving her mom standing there. Ravelle didn’t know it, but Xander had heard everything and he too knew what they were talking about.

Blooming romance gives the story a twist and everyone enjoys blooming romance :)

Ravelle had decided to skip visiting her aunt and walking down a hall when she fell.

“Haha, you should’ve seen where you were walking.” Weiss snorted, looking down at Ravelle.

Ravelle rolled her eyes and began to collect her stuff when Weiss knocked it down again. She was exhausted, and had no time to bother with Weiss.

“She’s so stupid,” she heard Brittany mutter.

“I know babe, I know.” Weiss kissed Brittany.

Ravelle took her time collecting her stuff and slowly stood up. She didn’t have time, the storm was coming in and she needed to leave. She looked up at Weiss and glared at him despite that he was 6 ‘1’ and she was 5 ‘7’.

“Leave me alone, I don’t have time for this.” she glared at him before she had to look away to make sure he didn’t see lightning fly across her eyes.

“Why should I?” Weiss demanded as he began to corner Ravelle.

He cornered Ravelle and she closed her eyes as he was about to punch her.

“What the...” she heard Weiss mutter.

Ravelle opened her eyes to see that Xander was holding Weiss’ arm behind him.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you.” Xander warned, his emerald green eyes flaring.

“Stop me,” Weiss tried punching Xander with his free arm and missed.

Xander swung for Weiss and punched him. Weiss landed on the floor with a –thud! Xander then looked at Ravelle who was already heading for the girls bathroom.

Ravelle had decided to place on her other outfit for storms. She grabbed her hair into a long ponytail and placed on her glasses that protect her eyes along with her long bangs. She switched into her black tank top, black leather jacket, zipped partway and leather, skinny jeans. She then placed her boots with the small heels. When she saw that the school was empty, she quickly sped to a secret alley.

“No thank you?” a voice asked.

“God, I thought you left after fighting Weiss?” Ravelle asked him.

“Never, I expected you here.” Xander moved closer to Ravelle.

Ravelle backed up and tripped over something, but Xander caught her in his arms. As he had caught her, Ravelle’s glasses came off.

“Thanks,” Ravelle muttered, as she looked away.

“What’s wrong?” Xander asked, frowning.

“Nothing,” Ravelle looked at her glasses.

“Then look at me.” Xander whispered softly.

Ravelle knew she couldn’t keep up her act and she met his eyes.

“Your eyes...” Xander was shocked that they had lightning flashing across them.

“They’re weird right?” Ravelle muttered sharply.

“Yes, but that’s not the problem.” Xander let go of Ravelle, full of admiration.

“So what is,” Ravelle glared at him, “You probably want to tell me that I’m weird, strange, and that you’re going to hate me.”

Rain began to pour as Ravelle’s eyes glistened.

“You are strange except you’re not normal.” Xander chuckled.

“Huh?” Ravelle was confused.

“I can see that you don’t like company much, you hate those other people. You also have a striking resemblance to someone I know.” Xander was circling Ravelle, trying not to give anything away.

“I don’t really want to go there, but I need to go home.” Ravelle walked to where her motorcycle was parked.

“Is it alright if I take you home?” Xander was trying to be courteous.

Feeling amused, Ravelle nodded and climbed after Xander climbed on. They rode off and they arrived at Ravelle’s family’s second penthouse which really belonged to Ravelle’s older brother, Avron. They parked Ravelle’s motorcycle in the family garage.

“How?” Ravelle asked.

“I live here too, and my penthouse is A12.” Xander pointed out.

“You live by yourself?” Ravelle asked in bewilderment.

“Yep, my parents send me money to pay.” Xander replied as he led Ravelle up the stairs.

Ravelle then realized that they were heading in the direction her brother’s penthouse is located at. Soon, they were in front of A13.

“I live here, so you live across from me!” Ravelle was startled at this realization.

“Wow,” Xander was startled too.

“Thank you,” Ravelle whispered as she met Xander’s eyes.

“No prob, but this is a no thank you. I rode you home as a favor.” Xander walked into his penthouse and left Ravelle standing in the hall, confused.