The Man in the Closet | Teen Ink

The Man in the Closet

By The-Grim-Reaper SILVER, Hudson, New Hampshire
The-Grim-Reaper SILVER, Hudson, New Hampshire

We are all born crazy some of us remain that way

We don't talk about Bruno

Silenco Bruno

“I DIDN’T DO IT!” I screamed. 

“We need you to relax.” The doctor replied. 

“Please let me go!” I whimpered. 

“You are going to feel a pinch.” The doctor rolled up my sleeve and held up the biggest needle I have ever seen. 

“NOO!” I pulled and struggled. The doctors held me down. One of them wiped my arm with something wet and cold. Then the doctor inserted the needle. I screamed. 

“It’s okay. It’s okay.” The doctor said. I felt drowsy and my vision began to blur. “It’s okay.” The doctor's voice sounded echoed. My eyelids started to feel heavy.

“N-no.” I whispered. Then, my eyes closed and I fell asleep. 

I yawned and rubbed my eyes. 

“Ugh. . . what time is it?” I crawled out of bed drowsily. “Why did I wake up?” I moaned. My mom, dad, older brother, and me moved from Maine to Pennsylvania so that my mom could be closer to work. We arrived a few months ago and I still haven’t finished unpacking. There were still quite a few boxes littering the floor. Because of this, navigating around my room was difficult especially at night. I got up off the floor and shoved boxes out of my way so I could get to the window. I drew the blinds and peered out of the window. I looked up at the bright blue sky and the sun shone down brightly on my face.“It’s nice today.” I mumbled, still drowsy. “I am so glad that it is Saturday.” I sat on my bed with a plop. “I really just want to go back to bed.” I sighed. “But, I really should get dressed. Hope mom’s making pancakes.” I layed back on my bed not wanting to get up. My eyes started to feel heavy. Then right as I was about to fall asleep I heard a shuffling sound. I rubbed my eyes. “What was that?” I sat up and looked around. I heard it again. This time the sound was louder. It sounded like it was coming from the closet. I slowly walked towards the closet. As I walked closer the shuffling kept growing louder and louder. I slowly reached out my hand and placed it on the handle, the sound of the shuffling extremely loud. I turned the handle and quickly swung the door open. 

A man stood in my closet. He was tall and looked young. He appeared to be only 20 years old. His eyes were dark red, like blood. His hair, which was black, looked like it floated and moved around slightly. He was wearing a dark purple suit with a dark blue top hat. The man also carried a fancy, expensive looking cane with detailed designs on it in his right hand. I swore I had screamed but I didn’t hear anything. I ran towards the door to escape. I tried to open the door but it wouldn’t open. I jiggled and twisted the door handle frantically but it didn’t budge. I was trapped. “HELP ME! HELP ME!” I cried and I banged on the door with my fists. But, no words came out and no sound was made when I banged on the door. I cried and screamed but every cry of help was silenced. 

“Stop screaming, boy. It’s obviously not working.” The man rolled his eyes. 

“Please, don’t hurt me. J-just let me go.” I backed away from him slowly.

“Wow, so rude. The first thing you do is run from me and now not even a hello.” The man frowned at me. 

“I-I am sorry. H-hello? I am N-Nick.” I stuttered. Why did I tell him my name? I guess it didn’t matter because he was probably going to kill me anyway. 

“Why hello Nick. My name is Samuel.”

“O-okay?” I was confused. I took a few steps towards him. “W-why are you here?” I asked. 

“Why am I here?” Samuel laughed. “I am here to be your friend silly.” 

“M-my friend?” I was even more confused. Where did this man even come from? He definitely wasn’t in my closet earlier. Was he some creepy butler hiding in my closet? Or maybe he was just a figment of my imagination and really, I am just going insane. 

“Yes your friend.” Samuel smiled widely. 

“Why?” I asked. 

“My secret.” Samuel looked deeply into my eyes. 

“Okay…?” I didn’t trust him. 

“You don’t have to be afraid of me Nick. I am not going to hurt you.” Samuel said reassuringly. 

“I don’t think I trust you.” I admitted. 

“It’s okay Nick. You can trust me.” Samuel winked. 

“Why should I?” I crossed my arms. 

“I know everything about you.” Samuel said mysteriously. 

“Okay. Tell me something no one else would know.” I demanded. 

“Well you just moved here. You are the new kid at school. No friends yet. No one even tries to talk or even bothers looking at you. You try to fit in. Find your place in the school but the other kids, they just ignore you. Am I correct?” 

“How did you? What? How? I. . . “ I struggled to find the right words. 

“Like I said, I know everything about you.” 

“What are you? Who are you? Why are you here?” 

“The answer to your first question is a secret. The answer to your second and third questions I already told you. Samuel and to be your friend.” 

“You want to be my friend?” I asked. He knew everything about me? I wonder if he knows what I did. 

“Yes I do.” He smiled. 

“Fine. I guess we can be friends.” Maybe he could help me remember things about myself that I have long forgotten. 

“Glad to hear it. Btw your mother is making pancakes downstairs. You better go eat. Don’t worry I’ll be here when you return.” 

“Okay. See you later Samuel.” 

“Please, call me Sammy.” 

“Okay. Laters Sammy.” 

“See you soon Nick.” Samuel smiled. 

“Good Morning Nick.” My mom said as I walked into the kitchen. The smell of chocolate chips and blueberry pancakes filled the air. “Mmmm. Smells good mom.” I sat down in  a chair. 

“Hey loser.” My brother, Ash, walked into the kitchen. 

“Hey dimwit.” I snarled back at him. We glared at each other for a long time before bursting out laughing.  

“Ahahahahahahahahah, dimwit? Really? That's the best you got?” Ash laughed. 

“Hey! At least it is better than loser.” I chuckled. Ash sat next to me.

“Didn’t want to hurt your feelings too much.” Ash smiled at me.

“I know.” I smiled back at him. Ash was not only my older brother but he was my best friend. We always playfully insulted one another. All in good fun. 

“Did you finally finish packing?” Ash asked. 

“Nope.” I replied. 

“Dude. Come on you have got to get that down.” Ash said. “Mmm. Food smells good, mom.” 

“Thanks sweetie.” Mom replied. She slid a plate full of pancakes in front of me and another one in front of Ash. 

“There you go boys.” 

“Thanks mom.” We said in unison. We fist bumped each other and started stuffing our mouths full of forkfuls of pancakes. 

“Mmmmmm. So good mom.” Ash muffled, his mouth full of food. 

“Yeah mom, delicious.” I agreed.

“Thank you boys.” Mom grinned. 

“Where is dad mom?” I asked.

“He's at work.” Mom replied. 

“Oh okay.” I said. 

“He will be back, don't worry.” Ash bumped me with his elbow.

“I’m not worried.” I bumped him back. “Just asking.” 

“Okay.” Ash replied. I quickly finished my pancakes and dumped my dishes in the sink. 

“I’ll be in my room, bro.” I smiled at Ash. “Need to finish unpacking.” 

“Yeah you do. Later bro.” Ash grinned.  

“You’re back.” Sammy was sitting on my bed. “How was the food?” 

“Delicious.” I licked my lips. 

“Glad to hear it. Sit next to me.” Sammy patted the empty spot next to him. I hesitated before slowly walking over and sitting next to him. 

“Can I tell you something?” Sammy looked at me. 

“Yes.” 

“You are like the little brother I never had.” Sammy’s red eyes twinkled. 

“Really?” I asked. Sammy thought of me as a little brother? He cared about me like that even though we just met? 

“Yes I care about you.” 

“Even though we only just met?” I asked, astonished. 

“I feel like I’ve known you my whole life. Like we have a connection.” Sammy smiled mysteriously. 

“You are actually surprisingly nice Sammy.” I admitted. “You should meet my brother Ash. I think he would like you.” 

“NO!” Sammy shouted, making me jump. I fell silent. 

“I am sorry. I shouldn’t have yelled at you like that.” Sammy whispered. I didn’t say anything.

“Look, only you can see me.” Sammy put a hand on my shoulder. 

“Huh?” I looked at him, my eyes filled with confusion. 

“You are the only one that can see me.” 

“Why?” 

“Because.” 

“Because what?” 

“Because nothing!” Sammy snapped. Then, his face softened. “I am sorry.” 

“We all have secrets.” I mumbled. 

“Indeed we do, indeed we do.” Sammy replied darkly.  

“This is for bullying me!” I dunked Mich’s head under the toilet water. He gurgled and struggled but I held fast. His arms flailed and his screams came out as muffled gurgling. I pushed his head deeper into the water. Mich started to scratch at my hand that was shoving his head deeper and deeper into the water. I just shoved harder. Then, I flushed the toilet. Mich’s flailing became desperate to get free as the clogged toilet bowl’s water rose. The air in his lungs quickly running out. He tried to kick me with his legs but I kneeled on his thighs keeping him in place. I dug my knee into his thighs and Mich emitted a gurgle that could have been a squeal. Mich kept flailing his air running dangerously low. He kept scratching at my hands but I didn’t stop. Mich’s flailing slowed down. Mich grasped my wrist and dug his nails into my skin. I pried his hands off with one hand. I flushed the toilet again. Mich slowly stopped flailing and his arms dangled loosely at his sides. The gurgling stopped and Mich fell silent. I stepped off Mich and took his head out of the toilet water spilling all over the floor. His face was pale, and his lips were blue. His eyes were wide open. They were blank. Dead. I let Mich’s body collapse to the floor. I walked out of the bathroom. I was smiling.    

I jolted awake. I was sweating and panting heavily. Sammy was sitting on my bed watching me. 

“Why are you watching me?!” I asked, a little creeped out.

“I’m  watching your dreams.” 

“You can do that?” 

“Yes.” 

“Honestly, I don’t know what I just saw.” I was lying. I knew exactly what I saw.

“You’re lying. Don’t lie to me.” 

“I am sorry. It’s just I don’t want to talk about it.” I avoided eye contact. 

“One of your secrets?” 

“Mhm.” I nodded. 

“It’s okay Nick. You can trust me. You can talk to me about it.” Sammy smiled.

“Promise you won’t tell anyone?” I begged. 

“Who would I tell?” 

“Good point.” I sighed and began, “So . . . a year ago I was being bullied by a boy named Mich at my old school in Maine. I was bullied really bad. He would stuff me in my locker and beat me every chance he got. He would tease me and fill my water bottle with piss. He was the worst. He made me do things. Nasty things, like lick the toilet seat in the boy’s bathroom or sit in the dumpster outside the school. I had to deal with that bastard everyday non-stop. Until one day I couldn’t take it anymore. So I . . .” I paused. 

“So you?” Sammy urged. 

“So I got revenge. I shoved his head deep into the toilet water until he drowned.” Sammy’s face went dark.”No one ever found out it was me. I didn’t tell anyone for obvious reasons.Everyone thought it was a suicide.” Sammy didn’t say anything. 

“S-sammy?” I stuttered. 

“You really are crazy.” Sammy ran his finger through his hair and laughed. 

“I just did what I thought was right.” 

“That's crazy.You have lost your mind.” Sammy got up and paced in front of me. “Did you even stop to think about the boy’s family or were you only thinking about yourself, so caught up in getting revenge. You liked revenge didn’t you? It tasted so sweet didn’t it?” I didn’t say anything and just stared at Sammy in silence. “Well since you know, I guess it’s time to tell you the truth.” Sammy sighed. 

“The truth about what?” I questioned.

“About me who I am.” Sammy replied. He paused for so long I didn’t think he was going to say anything. “Listen Nick. I am not real.” 

“Huh?” I was confused. 

“I am just in your head Nick.”

“Then why can I feel you? Why can I touch you?” 

“Your imagination. Nick, everything you see here, me, your family, they aren’t real.”

“What are you talking about, yes they are!”  

“Nick you are lying to yourself. Deep down you know the truth.” 

“No, I won’t believe it!” I screamed. 

“Listen to me Nick. The boy you killed was your best friend.” 

“No!!!” I covered my ears. I couldn’t believe it. No, Sammy was a liar. He was lying to me. That’s it,yeah, I’m not crazy. This was all just a prank. Sammy pried my hands off my ears. 

“Listen to me Nick. You told your family and then you killed them too. Can’t you see. You're making excuses for what you did.” 

“Shut up!” Tears started to well up in my eyes. Sammy squeezed my wrists tightly in both of his hands. 

“Nick, you are a psycho.” 

“I said shut up!” I cried. Sammy looked at me with such disgust in his eyes like I was a rat found in the kitchen. 

“You disgusting, sadistic, psychotic, merciless--” 

“Please, just shut up.” I cut him off. Tears streamed down my face. “Lies!” I yelled. 

“You know it’s the truth. Deep down.” 

“Why are you telling me this? Why now?” 

“You needed to know. You needed to know what you did.” Sammy replied. 

“I don’t believe you.” I growled. 

“Nick. Let me ask you a question. Do you know where you are?” 

“Of course, what type of question is that? We are in Pennsy--” 

“No Nick, you are in a mental hospital and you are dreaming.” 

“This can’t be.” I paced around my room. 

“I don’t remember killing my parents.” 

“You keep trying to convince yourself they are still alive.” 

“They are, I didn’t kill them!” 

“Nick please listen. Let them go.” 

“No! You listen to Samuel! I am not crazy!” My fingers started twitching and my body was shuddering. I knew I probably looked crazy with dark circles under my eyes and my hair a mess from just waking up. My pajamas damp with sweat. 

“I didn’t want to have to do this.” Sammy sighed. I slowly started backing away towards the wall.

“Do what?” 

“I was hoping you could wake up on your own but I have to do what must be done.” Sammy walked towards me and soon I was trapped. 

“P-please don’t Sammy.” I pleaded. But Sammy ignored me and placed a finger on my forehead and everything disappeared as my eyes fluttered open. 

I looked around.I was in a white room. I was lying in a bed with white sheets. I tried to move my arms but I couldn’t. Then, I realized that my feet and hands were cuffed to the bed. I pulled against the chains making a loud clanking sound. 

“Nicholas Dean Rodregiez. That’s your full name.” A voice that sounded like Sammy’s came out of nowhere.I looked around to find the source of the voice . “Born 2007 in the month of February on the 7th.” The voice continued. “Time of birth 6:13 p.m. Parents were Maria Rodregiez and Gabriel Rodregeiz. Brother was Asher Rodreigez.” The voice paused before continuing. “Parents and brother were found dead with countless stab wounds all over their bodies.” The voice paused once more. “You claimed that you did not kill your parents and insisted they were still alive when in fact they were dead and evidence found you guilty of the crime.” 

“Who are you?!” I shouted. “Stop it.” The voice ignored me and started talking again. 

“Before your family’s death there was a tragic accident at your school. A boy named Mich Falcons who you claimed bullied you, although other of your fellow students claimed you two were best friends. You claimed that you didn’t kill him and that it was a suicide. Evidence finds you guilty of that crime as well.” 

“Shut up!” I struggled against the chains.   

“I connected the evidence and put together a logical story as to what might have happened.” 

“I don’t want to hear it!” I shouted but the voice continued anyway. 

“You don’t fit in at your school in Maine. You aren’t really popular and normally everyone just ignores you except for one kid, Mich.” 

“Please stop.” I begged. 

“Mich is your best friend, your only friend.” Tears rolled down my cheeks.

“Stop it. Please stop it.” I pleaded. 

“Then one day Mich makes new friends and spends more time with them. You don’t like that because these friends are bad influences. Mich’s new friends are bullies. They bully you and peer pressure Mich into bullying you too.” 

“No, no, no.” I shook my head trying to tune out the voice and escape into my thoughts but the voice rang through my ears and the words it spoke bounced around in my head.

“You get angry, you thought Mich was your friend why would he do this to you? You want revenge. So you wait till the bathroom is free of anyone else. You drag Mich with you into the bathroom then that’s when you strike. You shoved him into a bathroom stall and he fell to his knees wacking his mouth on the toilet seat.” 

“Stop talking!” I rattled the chains. 

“This was your chance you grabbed him by the hair and shoved his head deep into the toilet bowl. A few days later you are starting to feel guilty, so guilty you can’t take it anymore. You tell your parents. They freak out and call the police. You don’t know what else to do so you grab a kitchen knife and stab your parents and your brother.” The voice pauses for a long time. I didn’t say a single thing. “At that point you were losing your mind.  Friendless, parentless. All your fault. That amount of stress is enough to make anyone go mad. You start hallucinating and driving yourself crazy. Lying to yourself. Making your own imaginary friends. Pretending you moved from your old school to a new school. Making things up to forget what you did.” I was shaking. I just wanted the voice to shut up to go away. “Am I correct?” The voice asked. I stayed quiet. “That’s enough of that. You rest now.” The voice stopped talking. But I had to admit, the voice was 100% right. It all came back to me. I remembered everything. I did awful things. NO wonder I was so eager to forget. 

I pulled against the chains as hard as I could, hoping I could break the chains if I pulled hard enough. But, alas, it didn’t work. Not even the slightest crack in the chains. I cried. 

“Please! Somebody help me!” But no help came. “Am I stuck here?” I asked. No one answered. “Am I alone here? Sammy? Are you here?” But no one said a thing. Only silence. I layed back and rested my head on the pillow. I stayed awake the whole night. 

Chapter 10 - “Good morning Nicholas.” The voice that sounded like Sammy’s said. 

“What do you want?” I screamed. 

“I will come to see you shortly.” The voice said. 

“Who are you?” I yelled.

“I am one of your doctors.” The voice answered. 

“Just leave me alone.” I shouted. The voice didn’t say anything. I heard footsteps growing louder as someone approached. Then, the sound stopped and the door handle jiggled. Suddenly, there was the sound of keys rattling. After, there was a click, which was the lock unlocking. The door handle wiggled again and swung open. An incredibly handsome doctor that looked exactly like Sammy stood by the door. 

“Good morning Nicholas.” The voice that sounded like Sammy’s said. 

“What do you want?” I screamed. 

“Who are you?” I yelled.

“S-sammy?” I couldn’t believe it, what the hell was Sammy doing here? 

“No. My name is Doctor Marshall.” He said. 

“D-doctor Marshall? N-not S-sammy?” I stuttered. 

“No, not Sammy.” He replied. 

“O-oh.” 

“Can I ask you a few questions?” Doctor Marshall asked. 

“Yes.” I sat cross legged. 

“Can you describe Sammy for me?” Dr. Marshall sat in a chair by my bed. 

“Oh, yes. He looks exactly like you but he wears a purple suit and top hat with a fancy cane.” I replied. Dr. Marshall wrote something in the notepad he was carrying and continued on to the next question. 

“Do you remember what you did?” He crossed his legs and looked into my eyes. 

“Yes. I remember everything. I-I did awful things.” I looked down. 

“Yes I know. It wasn’t okay to do what you did. I am here to help you.” He smiled slightly. 

“O-okay.” I was still getting used to how similar to Sammy he looked. 

“I am going to take the chains off okay?” 

“Okay.” Dr. Marshall reached into his pocket and retrieved a key. He used the key to unlock the chains. I rubbed my wrists and ankles. When I looked back up at him I screamed. Doctor Marshal’s coat turned red with blood. Blood leaked from his mouth and blood gushed from his chest and stomach. I backed away from him until my back was against the wall that was behind my bed. 

“STAY BACK!” I threw my pillow at him. 

“Nicholas. It’s me! Calm down. It’s okay Nick.” Doctor Marshall got closer and he grabbed my wrists. “It’s okay Nick. I’m not going to hurt you. Breathe.” I took deep breaths and squeezed my eyes shut and Doctor Marshall was back to normal. 

“You were bleeding! All over!” I was scared. 

“Another hallucination.” Doctor Marshall reassured me. I slowly calmed down a bit. “Relax. You haven’t taken your pills yet.” 

“Pills? I don’t want your pills!” I yanked my wrists out of his hands. 

“Nick, they will help with the hallucinations.” 

“No pills.” I glared at him. 

“Take the pills or you die!” Doctor Marshall through a knife at me and I ducked.

“No!!! Please!” I jumped out of bed and ran towards the door and jiggled the handle, but it was locked. “Let me go!” 

“Come on Nick, don't run.” He smiled psychotically. His clothes turning into a purple suit and a blue top hat. A fancy cane appeared in his hands and he laughed. “Nick come here boy.” He snarled. He charged at me swinging his cane at me. I was trapped. I banged on the door. 

“Help! Please!” I cried. I felt a hand on my shoulder and I screamed. 

“NICK!” Doctor Marshall shook me. “Take your pills!” I looked at him.

“P-please! Don’t hurt me!” I trembled. 

“Nick.” He grabbed my shoulders tighter. “You must take your pills or I’m going to have to sedate you.” 

“NO PILLS!!” I shoved him hard and he fell. I wasted no time.

I jumped on him. I beat his chest with my fists knocking the air right out of him. Doctor Marshall reached in his pocket. I noticed and reached in his pocket and found a button. I grabbed it and threw it across the room. It shattered as it hit the wall. I punched and slapped his face repeatedly. His face started turning red. I beat him harder and harder. I felt a crunch as I punched his nose. He started bleeding from his nose and mouth. I didn’t even care. He was wailing. He was trying hard to push me off but I kept beating him. I knew the button was an alert that called all the other doctors. I knew the doctors would be coming soon. I had no escape. I beat the doctor’s head until he knocked out. I looked around the room and my eyes landed on the chain on my bed. I smiled. I carefully reached into the doctor’s pocket and found the keys to the chain. I walked over to the chained and unchained it from the bed. I wrapped the chain around Marshall's neck tight. Then, that’s when I noticed the surgical knife. I dropped the chain and it loosened from around his neck. I rushed over to the knife. There was no time to waste, the doctors could be here any moment. Right as I grabbed the knife the Marshall’s eyes fluttered open. 

“Nick. . .” He slowly took the chain out from around his neck and slowly got up and looked at me. “Nick. You don’t have to do this.” He slowly walked towards the door. “Let’s just calm down. The doctors will be here any minute.” I watched him holding the knife tightly in my hands. 

“I’m sorry Doctor Marshall.”

I stared at him like a predator watching his prey. A lion hiding in the grass watching an antelope. 

“You don’t have to do this.” He reached out a hand to the door handle. 

“Don’t even think about it.” I snarled. I slowly moved closer to him. 

“Nick. I am here to help you.” Marshall gave me a small smile. “It’s okay you can trust us. Let us help you Nick.” 

“I don’t need help. I’m fine.” I moved closer. I didn’t have much time. 

“Nick-” He started. But I cut him off.  

“I AM NOT CRAZY!” My fingers twitched. 

“Nick please.” He started to turn the handle. If I was going to do this I needed to do it now. I ran at him and tackled him. Marshall yelped. I didn’t think. I stabbed him over and over and over all over his body and he screamed. Blood sprayed and pooled on the floor. I heard shouts from outside the door. I saw the door handle jiggling and the sound of someone fumbling for the keys. But, they were too late. Marshall coughed blood, blood leaking from his mouth. I sliced his neck. He let out a final scream before his eyes went dark. 

The door burst open and doctors rushed in. They gasped. I was covered in blood. I dropped the knife and it landed on the floor with a clank. The big men wearing white grabbed me and chained me and dragged me outside the room. I didn’t struggle. I let them take me. They slammed me to the floor and forced me into a straight jacket. I just smiled at them. 

“Why are you smiling boy?” One asked. When I didn’t reply he slapped me. “Answer the question.” 

“There is no reason not to smile.” I grinned wider. The two men shared a look and didn’t say anything to me. The doctors watched me. They sat me down in a wheelchair. “I can walk.” I said. 

“You might do something.” The other man said. He strapped me to the chair. “You can’t escape boy.” 

“Take him to the white room. He can’t do anything while in there.” A doctor told the men. The men pushed the wheelchair down the hallway. The white room. That’s where all the extremely crazy people go. I remember a doctor telling me that there were serial killers and murderers in this mental hospital. I remember shivering at the thought. But now, I realized, I was one of them. 

The men shoved me into a completely white room. On one side of the room there was a one way mirror. I fell to the floor. 

“Aren’t you going to take me out of this straight jacket?” I asked. 

“No.” The men slammed the door. I tried to get up but I fell to the ground. 

“Hey there, buddy.” I quickly looked up and saw Sammy leaning against the wall watching me. 

“What do you want.” I growled. 

“You look like you need to help.” He walked towards me, I tried to move away from him but I couldn’t. 

“I don’t need your help.” I grumbled. 

“Fine.” Sammy backed away from me and leaned against the wall once more. I tried to get up again but fell on my face and I groaned. “You got a little. . .” Sammy pointed to his nose. 

“What is it Sammy?!” I was getting frustrated and annoyed. 

“Your nose.” Sammy replied flatly. 

“What about it?” I raised an eyebrow. 

“It’s bleeding.” Sammy answered.  

“Who cares!?” I rolled over so my back was facing Sammy. I just wished he would go away. “There is nothing you can do to help me Sammy.” I couldn’t hold it in anymore. I cried. 

“Awww Nick.” Sammy kneeled by me and put a hand on my shoulder. I shrugged it off. 

“Leave me alone.” I sniffed. 

“At least let me try to help you.” Sammy said softly. 

“Please . .  .” I whispered. 

“What?” Sammy asked. 

“Please . . . take me back Sammy. . .” I said quietly. 

“Take you back?” Sammy questioned.

“To the dream. . .when my parents were alive. . .” I replied. 

“But. . . it was just a dream. . . you want to go back to sleep?” Sammy asked. 

“Yes. . .put me back to sleep Sammy. . .please. . .” I said. 

“Are you sure?” 

Please Sammy. Please take me back. I’m begging you.” I pleaded. 

“I’ll bring you back. But you’ll wake up.” 

“I don’t want to wake up. I never want to wake up, can you do that?” 

“I can’t. I can only give you the dream until you wake up. But. . .” Sammy trailed off. 

“What? Please Sammy!” I tried again to sit up but again fell and bumped my forehead on the floor, I winced. 

“You. . .have to die. If you want to never wake up.” I paused for a long time and contemplated what Sammy said. “Nick?”

“If I will see my parents again. . .” 

“Nick no.” 

“Please Sammy I just want to see my parents again. I just wish this never happened.” 

“Nick. . .think about it. The doctors will make you better. You can live a happy life, a wife or husband, I'm not judging, kids, you can start a family.” 

“Who would want to marry a nut job like me. I hallucinate at random and I lash out. I killed people.” Sammy sighed. 

“I won’t kill you Nick.” Sammy said. 

“Then, I’ll kill myself.” I shouted. 

“How.” Sammy crossed his arms. 

“I’ll just slam my head over and over on the floor until I bleed out.” 

“The doctors are watching you, they wouldn’t let you do that.” He pointed to a camera at the ceiling.” 

“Sammy I just want to go back. PLEASE!” Tears ran down my face. “I just want to see them again.” 

“Fine.” Sammy grabbed his cane. I closed my eyes. I heard the draw of a sword, then a swoosh and . . .nothing. 

“W-what?” 

“Like I said. I’m not real. So I can’t kill you.” I screamed. 

“GOD DAMMIT!” I cried out. 

“Nick. I can do the next best thing. I can still put you into a comma.”

“For how long?” 

“Years.”  

“Do it!” I successfully sat up. Sammy slowly walked towards me. 

“Night - night, Nick.” He placed his fingers on my forehead and I fell into a deep sleep. 

I yawned and rubbed my eyes. 

“Ugh. . . what time is it?” I crawled out of bed drowsily. “Why did I wake up?” I moaned. I started to shuffle over to the window, but I tripped over one of the moving boxes. “Ow! Ugh! Stupid box!”  I growled. . . 

I watched the boy wandering around the room in a daze. He looked as if he was in another place. Not here. I watched closely as his lips moved. He was talking. He was staring at a specific place in the room. Who was he talking to? 

“Doctor Martinez?” I called. A beautiful young doctor walked over. 

“Yes Doctor Rowley?” She answered, her voice had a slight spanish accent. “Is something wrong?” 

“This boy . . . Nicholas Rodrigrez. He appears to be hallucinating. He is staring at a specific place in the room and talking but there is nothing there.” 

“Yes he has been doing that for a while.” Martinez replied. 

“How long?” I asked. 

“About a week.” Martinez watched him. 

“How long has he stayed in this hospital?” I looked at Martinez. 

“A year. He was moved into this room about a week ago before he started doing this.” 

“Why was he moved into this room?” I placed a hand on the glass. 

“He killed a doctor here.” Martinez’s eyes turned dark. “Doctor Marshall. You weren’t working here when it happened were you?” 

“No, I moved here a few days ago from Marian’s Mental Hospital.” I replied. 

“Oh, Marian’s. I know a nice man who works there.” Martinez’s face brightened. 

“Who?” 

“Doctor Marcus.” 

“Oh I worked with him. We were friends. He is quite lovely.” I smiled. We chatted for a bit. 

“Hey, want to get lunch later? I know a great place.” Martinez asked. 

“Sure.” I grinned. 

“How about 12:30, I have a break.” 

“12:30 works for me.” I replied. I looked back at Nick. “You think he will be alright?” 

“I’m sure he’ll be fine. I’ve known him for months. He’s a nice boy, stubborn, tough. Nick slowly turned and looked directly at us. Well, not directly at us more at a space behind us, in the distance. A shiver ran up my spine. It lasted only a second before he turned away and wandered around his room running into walls and flopping on the floor. 

“Well I have to go. Duty calls.” Martinez smiled at me before walking away. But, I stayed and continued watching the boy.