I don't like Lady Gaga. | Teen Ink

I don't like Lady Gaga.

April 2, 2010
By betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California
betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California
2 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I don't consider myself a pessimist. I think of a pessimist as someone who is waiting for it to rain. And I feel soaked to the skin." - Leonard Cohen


Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?



I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 471 comments.


on Feb. 16 2011 at 7:05 am
KB_Country_Strong BRONZE, Hartsville, South Carolina
3 articles 2 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." ~James Dean

YAY!! I'm not the only girl in this world who doesn't like Lady Gaga! All my friends ever talk about is how awesome she is! I think she is a sad, pathetic being who is losing her own personality to be famous and liked by millions of screaming fans! 

Sarah said...
on Feb. 16 2011 at 2:53 am
I think that its her way of showing her creativity, her character and her music are ways of expressing herself, and people do that in many different ways and it doesnt mean they change themelves its means they create themselves. 

on Feb. 15 2011 at 9:13 pm
da1sygirl SILVER, Delmar, New York
8 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Magic is believing in yourself. If you can do that, you can do anything." -Foka Gomez

I totally agree with this article. Her performances are overly elaborate!

on Feb. 15 2011 at 8:23 pm
redpanda26 SILVER, Chevy Chase, Maryland
5 articles 5 photos 51 comments
Wow!! This is excellent, and you backed it up really well! I don't know why this isn;t in the magazine, seriously.

lollypops GOLD said...
on Feb. 15 2011 at 7:57 pm
lollypops GOLD, Pilot, Virginia
16 articles 5 photos 218 comments

Favorite Quote:
Live

I completely agree with you

on Feb. 15 2011 at 7:01 pm
Jonathan_Peraza SILVER, Lilburn, Georgia
9 articles 1 photo 8 comments
Honestly, I love Lady Gaga to death, but a lot of what you said is completely true.  I enjoyed your writing.  Its so powerful and so you :DD  I second your thoughts.  Its all true, but yet I can't help loving the freak Stefani Germanotta tries to be xD

Stefan said...
on Feb. 15 2011 at 6:23 pm

Well, its up to you what you listen to, and Gaga is just not my style (along with lots of these MTV hits, I am more of an oldies Rock fan) But to say the truth I like her previous songs as Stefani Germanotta. The irony is that I would have never have heard of her if she didn't have this huge success as Lady Gaga on tv.

In my opinion, Lady Gaga lost track of what was really important, replacing her love for music for a fake public image.


on Feb. 15 2011 at 6:15 pm
Detective-C BRONZE, Lakeland, Florida
3 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Wait! It's morning in the Himalayas!"

I agree, she's kind of a reflection of how oddly deprived today's youth is. Heartbreaking if you think about it, and she's not the only one like that.

on Feb. 15 2011 at 2:13 pm
WritingLoverForever PLATINUM, Bowling Green, Ohio
32 articles 2 photos 198 comments

Favorite Quote:
It's not about success; it's about significance.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

I only like Lady Gaga for her epically ridiculous high heels. Finally, someone else out there besides me who likes their shoes the higher the better.

on Feb. 15 2011 at 11:46 am
AelitaReloaded PLATINUM, Scottsdale, Arizona
22 articles 0 photos 179 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The pen is mightier than the sword" author unknown (to me)

I both agree and disagree.  I definetely agree that she is a bad role model, and that her lyrics are iffy at best, but I do like her songs... I just choose not to view images of her... or read about her antics... Basically I know very little about her except for the fact that (in my opinion) she has a good voice and her music has a good beat.  I think that on that level it is okay to enjoy her music, but I would not buy any of it or put it on my iPod because some of the lyrics definetely need to be censored.  Great essay!

on Feb. 12 2011 at 9:05 pm
RiverSong BRONZE, Baltimore, Maryland
3 articles 0 photos 100 comments
Finally, someone who agrees with me!!! My friends all think I'm crazy, but I can't stand Lady Gaga or her music.  And I totally agree about how she's a terrible role model for the teens who listen to her music.  Keep on writing!

on Feb. 9 2011 at 8:33 pm
NicoleS PLATINUM, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
22 articles 0 photos 46 comments

Favorite Quote:
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal.
- John Lennon

i couldnt agree more!

im also 16 and i am not gaga for gaga...you hit the nail on the head with this article, soo well written...i feel the same way!


ama1013 BRONZE said...
on Feb. 8 2011 at 8:27 pm
ama1013 BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut
1 article 0 photos 25 comments
i totally agree with you haha i dont get it...who is she trying to impress with her weird clothes? idk shes just....theres no word to explain it. and i love justin bieber !

alogolf23 said...
on Jan. 28 2011 at 9:49 am
alogolf23,
0 articles 0 photos 6 comments
i hate lady gaga

on Jan. 24 2011 at 7:23 pm
LoveMeHateMe GOLD, Tecumseh, Oklahoma
10 articles 0 photos 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
Giving up doesn't always mean your weak, sometimes it just means your strong enough to let go.

I think that this is a great piece. Although it's not the best written article, I can feel the passion that you put into this. I totally agree with you. I'm glad that you have the courage to go against the norm, and voice your opinion.

peachesjk said...
on Jan. 24 2011 at 6:43 pm
peachesjk, Syracuse, New York
0 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You never know what you got 'til its gone, but you never know what you're missing 'til it comes along"

wow. this is really good, i think you really make a good point. i hope a lot of people take in consideration on what you said, because it sure made me think.=]

on Jan. 24 2011 at 6:26 pm
LovelyDuckling GOLD, Hamilton, Montana
16 articles 0 photos 125 comments

Favorite Quote:
A vision without action is a hallucination.

realy good job! my teacher used this as an example for an editorial:)

on Jan. 24 2011 at 6:02 pm
novelistspast. BRONZE, Brook Park, Ohio
4 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
I try to leave out the parts that people skip. ~Elmore Leonard

This is good :) Nice word choices. You should check out my work sometime.

Write on.


Success said...
on Jan. 24 2011 at 5:49 pm
Success, Baltimore, Maryland
0 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Action is the foundational key to all success." - Picaso

I just found this now because I never had a favorite quote, but this pretty much sums me up.

This is actually a very good article.  Thanks for posting it, and remember to check grammar next time. (Just as a tip)

on Jan. 24 2011 at 12:06 pm
Lillybby BRONZE, El Cajon, California
4 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Find out who you are and do it on purpose.

This is so true and clever I love how you put the quotes in about what she says, they are so true! If other female singers can dress nice and appropriately with actual clothes and NOT meat and make it big and a person out of themselves why can't she?