I don't like Lady Gaga. | Teen Ink

I don't like Lady Gaga.

By betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California
betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California

"I don't consider myself a pessimist. I think of a pessimist as someone who is waiting for it to rain. And I feel soaked to the skin." - Leonard Cohen

Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?

I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’

Omgosh! I meant to rate five stars not one! Please ignore that! 

PortraitWords SILVER, Bronx, New York

"Love me for my ugly, for my pretty is deceitful"

Thank you SO MUCH for this! You took the words right out of my mouth. Finally someone who knows exactly where I'm coming from.

Pillow BRONZE said...
Pillow BRONZE, Spokane, Washington

Nothing says oops like a wall of flame.

This is amazing! I am not fond of Lady Gaga and what you had to say was right on the nose about everything I was thinking.

GilyG said...
GilyG, West Fork, Arkansas

\"People observe the colors of a day only at its beginnings and ends, but to me it\'s quite clear that a day merges through a multitude of shades and intonations with each passing moment. A single hour can consist of thousands of different colors. Waxy yellows, cloud-spot blues. Murky darkness. In my line of work, I make it a point to notice them.\"
— Markus Zusak (The Book Thief)

You put my thoughts out on, paper? (Wait, no, a screen?) but anyways this is exactly right!! Great job!

evrycloudyday7 PLATINUM, Wappingers Falls, New York

"As is a tale, so is life: not how long it is, but how good it is, is what counts." Seneca
"I'll just read a book instead. I don't care if we're just friends. I can hang out with myself I'm old enough now to pretend. Bam ba dum ba dum ba dum." kate n

Love the essay. Preach itttt haha You have said the things I was unable to express about Lady Gaga. wonderful!!

Bookworm97 said...
Love it! I hate Lady Gaga! I don't understand why people think she is so great. All she is a annoying pop singer dressed in garabage!

kenya said...

yeah, i don't like Lady Gaga either. I just don't like what her music stands for. I listened to 'Poker Face' and "Love Game" and those songs really don't show any morals. 

nice article. expressed your opinion well

cahill BRONZE said...
cahill BRONZE, Gary, Indiana

hmmm

OMG that sounds so funny:):):):):)

awesomeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spirit-of-the-lyrics BRONZE, Evanston, Illinois

AshleyPurdy - you know what "Normal" is..? A setting on a Washing Machine. No one wants to be that.

I COMPLETELY agree with you. FINALLY someone else who gets what I've been telling my friends all this time!!!

CatherineK SILVER, Omaha, Nebraska

“In all things it is better to hope than to despair”

I agree, and I like how you used quotes to prove your point!

ViralGirl BRONZE, Springfield, Massachusetts

"No man can be called friendless who has God and the companionship of good books."
- Elizabeth Barrett Browning

YES!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU! You are officially my hero.

PeetaMellark said...
LOL reading this article reminded me of when I went down to my locker after rehearsal for my school's musical and the janitors were blasting "Alejandro" I literally couldn't stop laughing...Haha anyways, this is really excellent writing and I respect and understand your viewpoints. Thank you for sharing :)

I dont like lady gaga period

karigirl said...
I agree with your words on Lady Gaga. Some of her songs are about clubs and all that. Clubs and stuff arent't the most important things in the world. We are supposed to live our lives and plan for the future. Being famous and known shouldn't be everyone's heads. This is well-written and good job.

rplove013 said...
rplove013, Burlington, North Carolina

Energizer Bunny arrested, charged with battery.

I don't really like lady gaga either...I feel she is way over doing everything. And I don't feel like she has talent either. I feel like to become famous today you either have to be extremely odd (lady gaga) or liked for your looks (Justin Beiber/Miley Cyrus)..this is just my opinion though.

Very well written :)

Bookworm97 said...
Bookworm97, Troy, Montana

“Sometimes people are beautiful.
Not in looks.
Not in what they say.
Just in what they are.”
Markus Zusak- I Am the Messenger

I totally agree! I Think Lady Gaga is ridiculous. This was well written. I liked how you you showed logic to your opinion. What Lady Gaga be without her outragous style..nothing. I liked how you proved that

Sarah_ GOLD said...
Sarah_ GOLD, Decatur, Tennessee

A wise girl kisses but doesn't love she leaves before shes left

i agree with you lad gaga is my little sisters fave singer and my bros but shes just being herself and growing thats what artists do you cant stop them

TheWordSmith SILVER, Placerville, California
I totally understand your point of view. Your opinion was well-presented. I personally like some of her songs, however, it makes me sad to see a talented artist singing such secular music.

Smarty BRONZE said...
Smarty BRONZE, Henderson, Nevada

\\\\\\\"It is not a matter of understand that you may believe, but believe that you may understand.\\\\\\\"
-St. Augustine

And you know what's even worse? She's considered to be very academically intelligent, so people are blinded by this rare celebrity achievement into believing that she's a wonderful person. However, I can tell from her songs that brains isn't everything in character. And she's too obsessed with consumerism apparently. What a fake.