I don't like Lady Gaga. | Teen Ink

I don't like Lady Gaga.

By betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California
betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California

"I don't consider myself a pessimist. I think of a pessimist as someone who is waiting for it to rain. And I feel soaked to the skin." - Leonard Cohen

Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?

I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.

annelindy said...
I definitely thought you made a point =) Most often people don't realize what a relationship with God means...Check out my stuff if you'd like!

Songgrrl13 BRONZE, Cleveland, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

it taste like gummy bears!

I don't really like any of her songs and i find her image to be disturbing, so i agree with your opinion of her

amondal SILVER said...
amondal SILVER, King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania
I agree with you! I do not like Lady Gaga....yes, once in a while I have one of her overly sexualized, but catchy, songs stuck in my head....but I don't like her. I'm 15, and everyone in my school like adores her....except I know one girl who calls her Lady Gargoyle. :) great article!

AshleeH GOLD said...
AshleeH GOLD, Enterprise, Utah
I really agree with your point! I mean, come on! Give us someone to look up to that is real and not someone that can't leave the house looking average!!

Jennibean123 said...

I really agree with this. I like some of her songs and her outfits can be really entertaining, but she's not exactly "unique" in her idea to do that. The thing I most agree on is the part about her being in sparkling breasts and a mask to tell us we were born that way. I also am not asking her to change, but constantly wonder if she really would be as outrageous if she didn't get popular from it. 

My friends hate me because I don't like Lady Gaga. They think it means I don't support being myself, which is a lie. I support being myself whether I'm popular or not. I support music about things that hurt me. If she would still be the same person without the fame and fortune, or mainly if she was the same person she is now before she was popular, I would believe in her a little more. But I don't. I just don't think I can believe her.

Great article!

Spot on! Finally someone with the caliber and insight for what is really going on today amongst the younger generation

allygatorr said...

THEN you heard Madonna?

It should have been the other way around. Madonna is a goddess, and Gaga will never compare.

Lindsay Saligman, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
0 articles 1 photo 1 comment
You brought up some really great points here actually. I feel though that Lady Gaga is not the only star that does this and what I appreciate about her is her honestly. Rather than claim not to care about appearances like some stars, she is honest about what rules her life and in her opinion: her world: Fame. She recognizes that there is a part in every one of us that wants to be noticed and that wants to be unique. 

I think that lady gaga is a horrible influence to young people. She not only is inappropriate but it seems in every video she is in she wears less and less. I think her "little monsters" would still love her if she toned it down a little...

teekay94 said...
I have one friend that loves lady gaga to the end, she "swears on gaga" writes gaga everywhere, calls people gaga when she likes them... shes insane! but when i asked her why she liked her so much the only thing she could come back with was ... "shes cool" ... i totally agree with your whole article! i think gaga needs to calm the **** down on a few things :)

mandygale77 said...
I do appreciate Lady Gaga because I think her music is ingenuous, but at the same time, she's pushing the line too much for me. You make a lot of great points in your essay.

Natasa said...
Even though I love her music, I agree with everything you say.

kat.tennis. BRONZE, Basking Ridge, New Jersey
I agree. It don't like her outfits. They are too wild and give kids the idea to dress like her. Her music is okay, but your totally right. 

Chibbie1 PLATINUM, Atlanta, Georgia

Reach for the the moon for if you fail you land amongst the stars :)

I completely agree with you

MattMiller SILVER, Orange, California

I am who I am.

oh sorry this comment was meant for the article... not in your reply :(

MattMiller SILVER, Orange, California

I am who I am.

I Love Lady Gaga but i do have to agree with you...

i think this fame thing is all about money and it will always be!

in addition, she is in a way different when it comes to presenting herself but does anyone think that when you see her your memories go to Madonna or Cher? .. nothing is original in life. c'est le vie!

saralove said...
"obsessed with consumerism"? It's called irony, there. Her songs about fame and money and material objects, are ironic. Do your research.

readaholic PLATINUM, Tomahawk, Wisconsin

I'd rather fail because I fell on my own face than fall because someone tripped me up
~Jhonen Vasquez

Again, I respect your opinion, and I won't try to change your opinion, but I don't think WeLiveForScars should insult betterhappyending (and my) opinion.

AnimalLoverNayNay, Hooksett, New Hampshire

" Life sucks and then you die." Stephenie Meyer, Part 2, Preface,Page 134

I agree with "WeLiveForScars"

I disagree. She's amazing!