I don't like Lady Gaga. | Teen Ink

I don't like Lady Gaga.

April 2, 2010
By betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California
betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California
2 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I don't consider myself a pessimist. I think of a pessimist as someone who is waiting for it to rain. And I feel soaked to the skin." - Leonard Cohen


Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?



I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 471 comments.


on May. 14 2011 at 8:34 pm
Zero_Black BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you love something, then let it go,
If it comes back, it's yours forever,
If it leaves you, then it was never meant to be.

about the "um-", not the other comment.

on May. 14 2011 at 8:33 pm
Zero_Black BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you love something, then let it go,
If it comes back, it's yours forever,
If it leaves you, then it was never meant to be.

that's what i'm thinking too . . . 

DaliaB. said...
on May. 14 2011 at 11:10 am
DaliaB., Rochester Hills, Michigan
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments
Some people look at Lady Gaga's "crazy" clothes, hair, and makeup and her "poppy" music.  If you look past that, and really consider her music/music videos, you can really see she's making an artistic statement.  Ex. the "Telephone" music video is a social commentary on American consumerism, "Judas" is a creative mix of biblical characters and the modern world, etc.  Plus, Gaga CAN sing.  You can't argue against that.

Mariam.J GOLD said...
on May. 14 2011 at 5:34 am
Mariam.J GOLD, Dubai, Other
16 articles 0 photos 72 comments

Favorite Quote:
I don't have many favourite quotes , though I do love the truth that 'change is constant .'
For you , a thousand times over - Hassan , The Kite Runner
If you want to leave footprints in the sands of time , don't drag your feet - Rudyard Kipling

Really good article. She isn't one of my favourite artists, though her music is quite entertainiment.

Singing songs which are against a certain religion is unacceptable . Judas? Seriously ?

It's kinda weird. She says you gotta be fine with who you are , but why'd she change to get noticed? She definitely wasn't 'born this way' . o.O

Hypocritical , I must say .

Really good article , once again (:


on May. 6 2011 at 7:11 pm
sarah4president SILVER, Santa Clara, California
6 articles 5 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
répondez s'il vous plaît

totally agree!

on Apr. 22 2011 at 8:40 pm
starlight26 GOLD, Miramar, Florida
11 articles 7 photos 174 comments

Favorite Quote:
*life isnt about pretending to be something you're not. It about being who you are and finding someone
who loves every bit of it."

"Life's tradegy is that we get old too soon and wise too late"

Thank you for this!!!!! Yeah, she may have had some decent songs but what you just said is what ive been trying to say for soo long! I AGREE ONE HUNDRED PERCENT! :))))

on Apr. 22 2011 at 6:50 pm
destined_for_fame BRONZE, Privet Drive, California
4 articles 3 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Shoot for the moon, because even if you miss you'll land among the stars."

I think you bring up some great points here. I am one of the people who thinks her costumes and antics are outrageously irritating. You want to really shock us? Dress normally.

on Apr. 22 2011 at 2:48 pm
I totally agree! I used to like her music at first and then she becaue this... well, you stated perfectly what she became and what she is. I think its horrible that our youth looks up to people like her.

And her new song "Judas", don't even get me started on that.

browneyedcat said...
on Apr. 22 2011 at 1:10 pm
browneyedcat, Melbourne Beach, Florida
0 articles 0 photos 47 comments
You know, I used to absolutely adore her. But after she released 'telephone' 'bad romance' and 'born this way' I started to see that she really is struggling to maintain her status. The songs sound the same, her performances are getting more ridiculous and her messages all mean the same thing. I completely stopped listening after her rip-off of a song called 'born this way' which was really just a remake of maddonas song. I completely agree with and am glad someone took a stand and said something. Thank you. :)

on Apr. 22 2011 at 12:07 pm
ShesAWildflower, Noblesville, Indiana
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I don’t care if a reader hates one of my stories, just as long as he finishes the book.”
—Roald Dahl, WD

“There are no laws for the novel. There never have been, nor can there ever be.”
—Doris Lessing

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou,

I completely agree and you put that wonderfully. It is insulting and offensive, especially to women. She makes us looks like freaks. Like we'll give into whatever a guy wants. I think you all kniw what I'm talking about. And You can be famous WITHOUT the use of blasphemy. Honestly. It's AWFUL! And I can't stand how people are obsessed with her.

aelixs BRONZE said...
on Apr. 21 2011 at 3:37 pm
aelixs BRONZE, Bear Creek, North Carolina
3 articles 3 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I sound like a cliche and smell like cheap alcohol. My hair is nearly always a mess and I feel awkward in my skin. I know what I want; it's getting it that confuses me sometimes" - NotJaneToday

I love this. I don't like her either.

on Apr. 19 2011 at 8:25 pm
BabyGirlBrittany SILVER, Cincinnati, Ohio
8 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life isnt about finding yourself, Its about creating yourself,"

Maybe she wants to be different? Why do people have to be normal to be popular? Thats what the problem is. I love crazy. Its awesome. Like im sure your mom has told you since you were little , "If everyone was the same , life would be boring" Let her dress, act, and behave how she wants. Its her life, You have the right to not like her BUT you don't have the right to judge her.

kelsee727 said...
on Apr. 18 2011 at 5:07 pm
kelsee727, The Plains, Ohio
0 articles 0 photos 16 comments
Hmm. I've never thought of her that way. She is almost hypocritical. Especially with her new song Born This Way. If she is okay with who she is then why is she wearing ridiculous clothing that makes it to where all eyes are on her. Though I don't know her as a person, so I'm not going to entirely judge her. I just find her a bit hypocritical now that I think about it. Well written article by the way.

on Apr. 17 2011 at 12:16 pm
Eleanor22 BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"My friends, we're all so close!"
"My friends, their are just no words to describe them."

That post was directed to the Lady Gaga comment below

on Apr. 17 2011 at 12:15 pm
Eleanor22 BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"My friends, we're all so close!"
"My friends, their are just no words to describe them."

Even if you are Lady Gaga that doesn't give you the right to act like a jerk to people. So what? People aren't going to like you that's what you get if you are famous!!!

on Apr. 17 2011 at 12:11 pm
Eleanor22 BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"My friends, we're all so close!"
"My friends, their are just no words to describe them."

You actually made a really good point. I never looked at it that way.

kiera cook said...
on Apr. 15 2011 at 2:19 pm
that comment was directed to" Lady  GaGa"

kiera cook said...
on Apr. 15 2011 at 2:16 pm
Maybe you dont like her but I do. she is speaking her mind, if you want "Pro-GaGa" then go write an opinion yourself.

Nico123 said...
on Apr. 14 2011 at 9:23 pm

What do you mean "GIVE" us !??!

As if society's intrincic purpose is to supply you with entretainment.

Get real, if you don't like her then do listen to her music.


on Apr. 14 2011 at 5:49 pm
JustinBurgs BRONZE, Winslow,Maine, Maine
3 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Teachers call it the bathroom, I call it the place I go when I get bored in class."

ummmmmmmmmmmmm.........?