Young Love | Teen Ink

Young Love

September 14, 2009
By CandieApple PLATINUM, Hartford, Wisconsin
CandieApple PLATINUM, Hartford, Wisconsin
29 articles 0 photos 90 comments

Favorite Quote:
The world is a stage, and we are merely players- Shakespeare (at least it goes something like that!!)


Walking around the school halls people talking about who's hot and who's not. Chatting about who they like and who they dislike, who they want to date and who they don't. I'm in middle school and already people my age are talking about dating! I think we are too young to date in my opinion. Recently my friend got a boyfriend and she's only 11!!! I think we need to live in the moment of our age. Have fun playing soccer and keep crushes, crushes until you're older. I understand kids liking the oppisite sex, but dating? I keep telling my friends that we're young and she be running around and playing sports. They just ignore me and shake it off. What do you think?



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 161 comments.


rplove013 said...
on Nov. 28 2010 at 9:42 pm
rplove013, Burlington, North Carolina
0 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
Energizer Bunny arrested, charged with battery.

I agree with you!

I can understand liking a boy/girl when you are in middle school, but to call it dating is a little extreme. Kids have the rest of their lives to date, keep your childhood while you can..and for girls...boys are nothing but drama and you will have plenty of that in high school...so stick to sports and being young...boys arent worth the drama or tears when you are young.


on Nov. 25 2010 at 6:47 pm
Incitata BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
4 articles 0 photos 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
"That's what the conspirators want you to think, dear."

I agree as well, to an extent.  I think it's more a measure of your maturity than your age.  I know some middle schoolers who aren't dating, but the practically are, they just don't call it that. 

Also, I'd say it's a different time for everyone.  I dated a guy when I was 14, and it was probably my biggest mistake.  But I learned a lot, and now I know better.

I'm going to wait until college, but it's cool with me if other people date in highschool - some high school sweethearts end up together, and it can be really great for them.


on Nov. 6 2010 at 11:28 am
CandieApple PLATINUM, Hartford, Wisconsin
29 articles 0 photos 90 comments

Favorite Quote:
The world is a stage, and we are merely players- Shakespeare (at least it goes something like that!!)

Thanks guys for keeping my article alive! :)  I've never had so many comments or responses to my article than this!  I'd like to thank everyone that has read this!

Libby16 said...
on Nov. 3 2010 at 9:01 pm
Libby16, Villa Park, Illinois
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Look, I am 17 and when i 10 i started dating this guy up until last year when he cheated on me. Does it hurt? Yes it does more then anything.

But every one has to make their own mistakes. so when she gets her heat broken just be there for her thats all you can do


on Oct. 24 2010 at 11:09 am
Dragonscribe BRONZE, West Lafayette, Indiana
4 articles 0 photos 303 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A Person's a Person no Matter how Small"
and
"A Rose by Any Other Name Would Smell as Sweet"
and
"God helps those who help themselves"

I agree with the 15 and older rule, although relationships before then could be used just as experiments - as long as they're appropriate. Really, whenever you are mature enough is good. And usually that's not in middle school, people.

on Oct. 24 2010 at 11:07 am
Dragonscribe BRONZE, West Lafayette, Indiana
4 articles 0 photos 303 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A Person's a Person no Matter how Small"
and
"A Rose by Any Other Name Would Smell as Sweet"
and
"God helps those who help themselves"

So true! Eleven is way too young to have a boy friend. I'm 14, I've never had one, and I don't have a problem with that. It's not like I'm blind - I have crushes and people I like and I flirt occasionally : ) - but I don't through myself at the feet of some guy, especially when I'm only in middle school.

on Oct. 24 2010 at 11:06 am
Dragonscribe BRONZE, West Lafayette, Indiana
4 articles 0 photos 303 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A Person's a Person no Matter how Small"
and
"A Rose by Any Other Name Would Smell as Sweet"
and
"God helps those who help themselves"

Yes, I agree. Although I don't object to relationships in middle school, as long as they're appropriate, they are a little childish. I'm a 14 year old in eighth and even I find it amusing to see all the girls and boys get so dramatic about love. Seriously, you should wait until marrying the person you're dating wouldn't seem so ridiculous. I think highschool/college is a good age.

Gmoney10 said...
on Oct. 15 2010 at 1:58 pm
Oh girl i agree, tell her keep her mind on kicking the balls on that soccer field. and also just remind her that there is so much time for that in the future i am in high school and sometimes i wonder if we are to young to even be dating. but i guess that is something you do in high school. you will have time to have a date to the school dance, and have plenty of time to introduce a guy to your parents. just live it up because i wish i can go back and live my childhood over. i remember my child hood and when i was 11 i was still chassing boys, and believed in cutties. lol. just dont worry your time will come and enjoy it all for now. because sooner or later you will look back and regret it all.

on Oct. 12 2010 at 7:56 pm
_helenhorton SILVER, Springfield, Ohio
7 articles 3 photos 34 comments
I agree that dating at an age under junior high is not the best but right now im a hypocrite cuz i did that but i so regret it. im in 7th grade and i have a boyfriend but i only look for a relationship because i want to get ideas for my future partner. I understand where you're coming from.

Hollyss SILVER said...
on Oct. 12 2010 at 3:57 pm
Hollyss SILVER, Stafford, Virginia
8 articles 0 photos 26 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Fiction reveals what reality obscures"-Jessamyn West
"You can't leap a 20-ft chasm in 2 10-ft jumps."-Anonymous

I agree with you. I mean, what is the point of having a boyfriend in middle school, really?

on Oct. 12 2010 at 3:17 pm
LexSkater BRONZE, Lexington, Nebraska
4 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If somethings bugging you dude, go skate," Danny Barajas

I believe dating at a young age is pointless, I didn't have a single girlfriends in middle school. And even when I got to high school, I should have waited. I've gotten into trouble, cried, punched random things, and even dropped out of school at one point, for girls. Wait until you know you are ready. Yes, I know better now because I experienced all the trouble, but I don't want anyone to go through the same thing. Sometimes I think I shouldn't be dating, and I'm a senior

on Oct. 12 2010 at 11:50 am
1993Baby BRONZE, Madera, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
life is what you make of it

i really agree i remember being that age and dating but now i wish that back then i was just having fun having sleepovers and not losing sleep over boys.

LF282 said...
on Oct. 9 2010 at 10:45 am
LF282, Schenectady, New York
0 articles 0 photos 5 comments
Exactly. I remember when I was in 6th grade my friend told me that I needed to get a boyfriend. When I said I didn't want one she told me to grow up. I then pointed out to her that we were only eleven and too young to be dating or anything anyways. She just shook her head and looked at me like I was crazy.

on Aug. 30 2010 at 7:01 pm
CandieApple PLATINUM, Hartford, Wisconsin
29 articles 0 photos 90 comments

Favorite Quote:
The world is a stage, and we are merely players- Shakespeare (at least it goes something like that!!)

That's exactly how 5th grade was for me too!

Connie said...
on Aug. 29 2010 at 10:27 am
I agree with this. I'm in middle school too, and I remember in 5th grade where, already, girls were dating boys. There was an unwritten rule were if you don't have a boyfriend/girlfriend, you were basicly a loser.  I thought that was ridiculous, and so did a few other people. We didn't date, so 5th grade was hell for us. Thank god, middle school is much better. Kids are still dating, but at least they don't look down on people who don't.

Taniisha said...
on Aug. 29 2010 at 12:36 am
Taniisha, Terrace, Other
0 articles 7 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Not necessarily... I mean, I loved a guy for about a year but I KNEW that he had a lot of bad qualities; a friend of mine dated him, and I was mad at first but he is a total imbecile and it turned out that I was smart not to let him know how I felt. Nothing bad can really happen if you don't act on these KIND of feelings.

Taniisha said...
on Aug. 29 2010 at 12:33 am
Taniisha, Terrace, Other
0 articles 7 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I definately think 'kids' shouldn't date until they are fully mature so they don't get hurt in a relationship with someone who they just think is cute or they just have a 'crush' on. I'm almost 17 and I've never had a boyfriend but I'm totally fine with it; I don't need one. i want to concentrate on school. Heck, if I never get married, I'll be fine. These days, a lot of relationships are all about popularity and looking good. Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of adults who dated in high school and are still together and I think that's wonderful. But these days parents are letting their kids date when they're LITTLE! It's disgusting, in my opinion. Let them be KIDS, for crying out loud.

jigaboo198 said...
on Aug. 7 2010 at 4:22 pm
i think anyone above 15 and older can have a boyfriend or girlfriend. Because you learn about what you do. If your boyfriend or girlfriend breaks up with you then you should think about if you want another or not. Don't get up set he or her is not the only one there are many fish in the see you go fishing for not just him or her.

on Jul. 18 2010 at 11:57 pm
CheyGurl SILVER, Chula Vista, California
7 articles 11 photos 50 comments

Favorite Quote:
Jealousy is a disease get well soon :]

Age is just a number... if you really like/love somebody go for it... who cares about age... the only difference if you date older maybe youll be able to go to different places but thats pretty much it... and sex anybody and everybody is having sex 

inspir3d GOLD said...
on Jul. 16 2010 at 4:44 pm
inspir3d GOLD, Norcross, Georgia
11 articles 2 photos 73 comments

Favorite Quote:
We're all just looking for attention, to be discovered overnight. We're all frustrated by the popular ones that claim the limelight before they fall to pieces. So many of us are stuck under the radar--what makes me different? You decide!

Honestly, relationships when you're really young can't go anywhere good. I'm 15 and have never had a boyfriend and i have no regrets. i've seen my friends' "fairy tale" relationships and how they ended... and until i'm a little older, and a little wiser (NOT TO MENTION ABLE TO DRIVE) I'm going to wait to date.