Promiscuity vs. Safe Sex: Both Sides of the Coin | Teen Ink

Promiscuity vs. Safe Sex: Both Sides of the Coin

October 18, 2012
By BarefootInTheWoods SILVER, New Salisbury, Indiana
BarefootInTheWoods SILVER, New Salisbury, Indiana
5 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Demon Pox!" ~Will Herondale


Contraception in schools is one of the most debated concepts of our generation. Should schools provide condoms to students? This question has been asked many times by many people in a variety of ways. Should school nurses be able to administer pregnancy tests to girls who think they are pregnant, and should the girl’s parents be contacted if she takes a pregnancy test? This is another question posed to our generation and our parents. Over the course of this week, I have asked four different people- a teacher, two students, and the mother of a teenager- their opinion on the subject. To my surprise, I received four different answers.

Mr. Shireman, a high school math teacher, said this, “I personally believe that providing condoms to students could promote promiscuous and possibly illegal activities. In the state of Indiana, it is illegal for a person under the age of sixteen to have sex. Providing them with condoms could promote illegal behavior. Education about abstinence, safe sex, and pregnancy prevention is the best policy in these matters.

However, as an educator, I can not bury my head in the sand and pretend that some students are not doing it. Nurses are able to take a student’s temperature if the student believes that they are sick. Therefore, a school nurse should be able to give a girl a pregnancy test if the girl thinks she is pregnant. The notification policy should be the same as it is when a student is ill. The procedures should not differ.”

I also asked two students what they thought about this issue. Macie, a junior says, “No to both. If people are going to be doing that stuff, they need to grow up and take responsibility for their actions. They should be mature enough to walk into a store and buy condoms themselves.”

Another student, a junior who wanted their opinion to be heard but didn’t want their name to be used, says, “Condoms should be sitting somewhere for people who don’t have access to them in any other ways. Pregnancy tests should be able to be given, but if the result is positive for an underage student, their parents should be notified.”

The last person I asked was my mother. Her opinion is this, “Yes, I think schools should be allowed to provide the students with condoms. However, the student should have to request them from the nurse. Kids are going to have sex. I would rather a boy be able to go to the nurse, if he can’t afford condoms himself, and get condoms to have safe sex than see yet another pregnant girl. Schools should not provide pregnancy tests. That is a family affair, and a girl who thinks she is pregnant should go to her parents and tell them.”

Throughout these interviews, I have been trying to formulate my opinion on the matter. In my mind, it comes down to this…

In school, we are taught to abstain from sex or practice safe sex. We are provided with the knowledge and tools to practice abstinence, yet we are only provided the knowledge to practice safe sex. There are people who are going to have sex, it is a fact. Shouldn’t the tools to keep them safe be provided to those who can’t get them by themselves? I believe that they should be.

Pregnancy should be a private, family matter. School nurses should not provide pregnancy tests to girls. Girls that think they are pregnant should go to their parents or another trusted adult and tell them their fears. They should take responsibility for their actions and face the consequences.


The author's comments:
This was an article for a local paper that has writers from five different schools. The principal of my school refused to allow it to be published, claiming it was too controversial.