Learn Our Language | Teen Ink

Learn Our Language

By Dsmit BRONZE, Luna Pier, Michigan
Dsmit BRONZE, Luna Pier, Michigan

"God hath not given me a spirit of fear, but that of power, love, and of a sound mind."

This is a headline story right here! It has to be one of the top issues in the country today. I am referring to the "Press two for Spanish" issue. Why is this even an option? If someone wants to become an American badly enough, they should take the initiative to learn the language that is spoken here: English. I mean, does the government not know that by allowing a language barrier to exist inside our country, they are potenially limiting the progression of the country. There should not be a need for any type of translator in our country. How can we be called the top country in the world if the citizens within it are not able to communicate freely? "Press two for Spanish" is also one of the most annoying statements that can be uttered over the phone. Spanish is not the only problem either. It is all the gibberish and nonsense that has to be endured before actually having the opportunity to speak to a customer service officer or telephone operator. I believe that Americans need to keep it simple. Diversity is grand, but when it pertains to the language, there is a problem. I have a simple solution that will unify our country and tear down the language barrier: Learn our language or go home!

PoetOfNyx16 SILVER, Port Angeles, Washington

"I dont know why I cut myself, god, give me a sign or help, I won't cry it'll be fine, I'll take my last breath, push it out my chest, 'till there's nothing left."

I agree and disagree with you on some points. What i hate about people moving here from different countries who can't speak english, they fall back on that for an excuse. like when you ask a question, they say "me no speak english." and when they're in a group, they always speak spanish and look at you and laugh and you don't know whether or not they are talking about you so you can't defend yourself. But i get the whole thing where if they first get here and they don't know english and they're trying to learn, then you can forgive them, but i know many foriegners who have lived here for many years and still speak fractured english and revert to their native tounge. and that really worries me, seeing as when you don't understand what they're saying, you don't know how to respond.

I am glad that you took the time to read my article. It was meant to be controversial. Thank you for your interest. I am Cherokee, by the way

NaTivE_BeAutiE GOLD, Ann Arbor, Michigan

~a woman looked at me and said, "You know, you really don't look Indian."So I smiled at her and responded: "Well you don't look stupid, but appearances can be awfully deceiving."~

JUST A POINT:

First off: If you were on a vacation in Mexico you would probably need an English button on the phone prompter because you don't speak Spanish. Understand that people who speak their native tongue do it because that may be the only part of home they have left. Just a thought.

Second: you're right, "diversity is grand". Now stop right there. Was diversity grand when this country was brought up on a massacre to the people of the feather and buckskin? Being Native American i see this article in a totally different way. I believe that the true language(s) of america are Lakota. Chinookan. Iroquoian. Tonakawa. These languages are being re-taught to the native children because your ancestors told our ancestors not to speak tribal languages.

So, now that you're so keen on sending certain people back if they can't speak "the language", why don't you try getting out of this counrty you illegally entered in 1492? Send yourself back to where you came from, so you can speak as you please. (I don't think theres a Spanish button there :)

Okay lets get something straight:<br />
Let me tell you, not every latino is mexican and not every mexican agrees with this. I am LATINA, and i believe as said earlier this country is a melting pot. Not every immigrant is/speaks spanish or is latino, for that matter. Look around you! <br />
Being native american as well, i believe the true languages of this "country" are Lakota, Abenaki, inupiat Aleut, and other aboriginal languages that still exist today. So why don't you get a clue. You are on a land full of beautiful mysterious languages. And you think Mexican's are the problem..It was you came here without asking. It was you who tried to massacre and wipe away my people. Now it is YOU, who truly needs to go back to home where you can speak as you please.

O.M.G! this was amazing! *claps hands* that was really good...I read it to four of my friends adn they all agreeed even my mexcan friends agree!!!! they do need to go home if they can't learn the language!

big pimpin said...
i really enjoyed the story, and rate the story real high.

America is the world's melting pot. Get used to it.

I understand your feelings about the language barrier in our country. I am a hispanic and my relatives that come here from a different country do try to learn english. I feel that the "Press two for Spanish" was made to maybe make their lives a little bit easier. English is not the official language of the United States.

glow glow said...
The point is understandable, the usage of words within the article itself are somewhat discriminatory, a more experienced writer would choose his/her words smartly and be perceived much better.

jenifersue said...
Great Article! I totally agree! And would like to say that whatever happened to an actual person just answering the phone anyway! It would be so nice to call somewhere and hear "Hello, how may I help you"! Things would be much better if we didn't have to press 1 or 2 or any number as far as that goes. Just speak to a nice "friendly" real person!

Stumpy_1393 said...
I completely agree with you! I mean, after everything we have gone through to be a FREE nation, why the heck shouldn't our other fellow americans learn OUR language? if they really wanted to be an american, they should take the time to learn the american language. Good point Man!

SloopyMcCoy said...
Agree. Many don't even seem to want to learn.

Dude, i totally agree! well maybe not the go home part, but at least learn our language or dont get involved in customer service where people cant even understand what you are saying!

TIFT said...
I totally understand brotha! haha..

utuathal said...
True. "Press two for..." is not a way to run a country. What is our next step? What do we do to follow up? How do we make sure we are not only talking, we are communicating?

tootles said...
I read this article. I too feel that we should encourage visitors, etc to use our language, but they have to learn some way.. and until they do how are the "visitors" suppose to function?

Corina said...
I don't know if I'd go so far as to say learn the language or go home but the USA needs to have an official language: English! As long as people have an option of English or Spanish, the majority of newcomers will choose their native tongue. This, in turn, limits their opportunities and keeps them from competing on an equal status. I hear California has ballots in 19 languages! Those folks needed to learn English in order to become citizens and vote. So why the 19 languages???

stumpygirl said...
I absolutly agree! America is the country with the most races, but I also believe that if you want to be a part of America, then you should take a step further and speak our language. If you really wanted to be a part of us, then you would prove it by wanting to communicate!

suzanne40 said...
Wow! I can identify with the frustration of being and living in the USA. Allowing people from other countries to enjoy our freedoms and opportunities but not enforce our language.