Play to Win | Teen Ink

Play to Win

By Kris_10 GOLD, North Scituate, Rhode Island
Kris_10 GOLD, North Scituate, Rhode Island

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." -Theodore Roosevelt

“Matthew.”
His name rolls off the nurse’s tongue
Like a bowling ball searching for a strike.
She hands him a foam basketball
Showing him the plastic hoop
Taped to the supply closet
“We got this for you”
His face lights up
Brighter than traffic light
I crumble
The orange ball rolls by my left heel
Matthew runs over to me
“Here you go,” I extend my arm
He freezes before me
Like a deer in headlights
He’s not sure if he should run past the car
Or stay in safety
“It’s for you,” I assure him
His bright expression returns
A few blonde hairs were just beginning to poke out
From under his pale skin
His sea green eyes conquer the majority of his forehead
A toothy grin blossoms
Revealing more teeth than the average two year old
I hand him the ball
“Thank you” he barely whispers.
Then rotates 180°
Almost tripping over his intravenous machine
He races back up his makeshift court
Pausing every so often to giggle at himself
Going in for the layup
It bounces of the tomorrow fund poster
And swoosh
Game point.

My doctor's office is directly next to the tomorrow fund clinic. These two office's share a waiting room. Every time I'm there, so is Matthew. Matthew is two years old and has inspired this poem after displaying to me what it is like to be a cancer patient. My heart goes out to to him and I hope yours does as well.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

That's awful. I do hope he will be okay. Thoughts and prayers are with that family. 

Kris_10 GOLD said...

I didn't show him becuase he's only 2. and I don't know if he's okay. I hope so. I heard his doctors tallking once with his mom. Apparently, this was his second time with cancer and he was jus recovering. so he was cancer free last time  saw him but they also said if he go tit again, then it was over. It's so sad and he's so young. But I won't see him again becuase i switched doctors. I pray for him though.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Aww, so sad. It reminds me of The Fault in Our Stars. Great, now I wanna cry. Truly an amazing story. Did you show this to Matthew? Is he okay more importantly? This is one of my favorites. 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Officially one of my faves. What an amazing story! it reminds me of The Fault in Our Stars. Crap, now I'm on the verge of tears. Keep rocking and writing poem like this. By the way, is Matther okay? Did you show him this?

redhairCat PLATINUM, Pebble Beach, California

"I can do anything!"

You have some grammatical errors, but other than that, this is a great poem with so much good imagery and descriptions. You are very talented! Keep writing - you have what it takes to get in the mag.

flanny SILVER said...
flanny SILVER, Madison, New Jersey

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

AWWW this was s  sad! Heartbreaking, and very moving

Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

“If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose”
― Charles Bukowski

Wait the boy is TWO??? That's SAD, omfg! Wow.... I don't even wanna look at anymore poems, jeez! — btw your writing was good, I'm just spazzing out about the fact that is is a true story

Jaimeexo said...
i thought it was a amazing poem

Kris_10 GOLD said...

Thanks! I will right now! (:

TheHerbArtist SILVER, Paradise, California
This was adorable. Have you ever thought about writing fction stories? You would be very good at it, you have a descriptive mind (: Please comment on my poem Orange Grove, Thankss 

Kbuschan PLATINUM, South Plainfield, New Jersey

Fall in love or fall in hate; Get inspired or be depressed; Ace a test or flunk a class; Make babies or make art; Speak the truth or lie and cheat; Dance on tables or sit in the corner; Life is divine chaos. Embrace it. Breathe. And enjoy the ride...

Aww I thought this was great! The fact that you didnt even mention that he had an illness, within the poetry itself at least,  made it have even more of an impact. I love your description with the bowling pins too!!

Kris_10 GOLD said...

if you've ever read a poem book, like many of Sonya Sones book, that was the kind of thing i was going for. more of a story in the form of a poem. but thank you! (:

kaitlynisweird SILVER, Portsmouth, New Hampshire
It's so sad that someone so young has to have it so tough. My heart DOES go out to him, as well.  Anyway, I liked your writing. I could clearly picture the scene in my head, and your imagery discriptions are good. I like the line "His name rolls off the nurse's tongue. Like a bowling ball searching for a strike." I don't know. It's just a fairly unusual metaphor and I liked it. It's true that you could probably right an essay on this boy, Matthew. There's not really a rhythm in my head, like there is with most poems, and you don't use any rhymes at all. But if poetry's the medium you prefer, use it. It's a free verse: it doesn't have to have a conventional structure. 

nmk1128 SILVER said...
nmk1128 SILVER, Fort Myers, Florida

"You don't write because you want to say something, you write because you have something to say." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

This is poem that shouldn't really be a poem; it sounds like something that should be described and written out like an essay with more elaborate detail. I bet Matthre really inspired you though.