Breakup Advice | Teen Ink

Breakup Advice

After those amazing relationships end, you have to ask yourself how things will continue. If you broke up with your partner, you must either be unhappy with them, mad at them, tired of them, or some other circumstance. So, if it is you who breaks up with the other, stop and think. As one single person, you don't have any idea what the other might go through. One moment to you is completely different that that of another. For example, you might go on a date and have the time of your life, oblivious to that fact that the one you care for is about to slit their wrists in boredom.
Just and example.
But that is something that you can relate to a breakup. You might think that things are better off without the other. They might be tripping and falling behind you, trying to catch up and get you back. It happens a lot, and these breakups are the worst. I myself went through one. And I've scraped my knees so much over these past to years tripping and falling after her(yes, two years. She's so beautiful I can't stop thinking about her). I've found out the the first and most important thing you can do to stay out of those horrible, bad break ups, is to forget. Easier said then done, right? Well, there is only one way to completely get over such a thing. Overwrite the memories that the two of you shared. Now, people call this a rebound, but isn't every boyfriend/girlfriend after the first a rebound? You must make better memories with this person. Have a greater time, and think about the new things you share rather then all the things you used to share with the other. Take it from me, with time, almost everything is mendable.

COMMENT AND WRITE YOUR OWN STORY BACK!

DifferentTeen PLATINUM, Seaford, Delaware

"There’s no such thing as true love, just spurts of insanity—falling over and over again, thinking that won’t happen to me"

Well, I've never been through a break-up so I don't know how they feel. I'm fourteen and never had a boyfriend, I try not to stress it because I'm still young and I focus on my schoolwork anyway. But its hard not to think about it when all of my friends have one. (Not kidding here. Maybe I should find some new friends) But I think what's worse is an unrequited love, especially when you see them so happy with someone else. That's what kills me.

TyTy22 said...
TyTy22, DAVIDSON, North Carolina

Life is meant to be lived not followed

my ex.....best friend in the whole world dumped me...we haven't talked in forever and I am not even mad at him for dumping me I am mad at him for deserting me though! Bu basically I realize I never was good/pretty enough for him...but the thing I miss most of all was us just talking. But it feels like ripping a band-aid off to soon. Just hurts

-Madhatter- PLATINUM, Ballwin, Missouri

"I hate it when people see you in the supermarket and they are like 'Hey! What are you doing here?' and I'm just like 'Oh you know....hunting elephants'"

lol good one. Great piece btw.

Odile,OhOdile SILVER, Mumbai, Other

forgiveness is the scent the rose leaves on the heel that crushes it

its really nice, but what you've written is easier said than done. a rebound??????? i have a friend, and she dated a guy for a year and a half. they broke up, and she went on a rebound. the thing is she still loves the first guy. rebounds don't always work. :) but great piece of writing!!!

muna.najihah PLATINUM, Malacca, Other

if life was given two choices, to become a writer or a character, I will choose to become a writer.
I have the power to decide what my life should be.

my break up advice, go bungee jumping after you got dumped or do anything extreme but safe to lose it in the moment of shock

check my work too, comment and rate it whenever you are free.

XpaintmeablueskyX BRONZE, Cherry Hill, New Jersey

"be who you are not who others want to see"

u want some break up advice? eat chocolate and ice cream. BAM problem solved ;)

XOXOhaloXOXO GOLD, Ellsworth, Maine

I'm the author of my life and, unfortunately, I'm writing in pen=]

Sorry it posted that twice... My bad...

XOXOhaloXOXO GOLD, Ellsworth, Maine

I have actually written a poem about this kind of situation. It's called A One-Way Love, and it is pending approval right now. I'll let you know when it makes it on the site so that you can check it out if you want=]

XOXOhaloXOXO GOLD, Ellsworth, Maine

I actually wrote a poem about loving someone when they don't love you back. It is pending approval right now. It's called A One-Way Love. I'll let you know when it gets on the site so you could check it out if you wanted=]

ILYx3 said...
ILYx3, Sydney, Other

The most hurtful thing is that me loving someone, and they don't return the favour :(

I currently like this guy, even though we only met at an online game (but he knows my BFF irl). I was attracted to him when i first talked to him, and more as I know more about him. We are really similar in personalities except hes more better than me. I tried to give him the hint that i like him (i guess he thinks its a joke) but he never did anything that convinced he likes me back more than a friend. Its hurtful really.. But seriously you can't force people to love you. So im just now looking at him, hoping he would like me back someday..

KiaThais21 BRONZE, Columbia, South Carolina

"dont leave the one you love for the one you like...because the one you like will leave for the one they love" -unknown-

oh and please look at my work people Im really trying to improve more feedback is needed thank you :)

Hi i love this! It actually gives me an actual inlook on what Im going through. My ex and I have been dating eachother for a year and we were eachother's first in everything but me i want to focuz on school and not be tied down so early because I havent really finished high school but he has already so i could use the help, please write back :)

Gumballlover BRONZE, Homer, New York

"The things that may come may not be beautiful, they may not be perfect. But they're for you. HAVE FAITH"

The same sorta thing happens with me. I'm soooooo confused! So I have this neighbor who like is super weird and will never leave me alone. he's told me several times that he's insanley in love with me, but I only want to be friends. He doesn't want except the fact of that. I actually trusted him, when I shouldn't have, he asked my crush out for me and I think he messed with the answers just to make me upset and needy. I want help and I'm not getting any help from my friends or my parents for that matter. I don;t have an older sister to help me, I have an older brother but he's no good at the moment. I just need help that no ones providing for me. I..... I just don't know what to say to him to leave me alone. I just want to be friends. Any ideas?

Gumballlover BRONZE, Homer, New York

My cousin actually dated a guy for a year and then he dumped her for HIS cousin. She's so confused at the moment, she has no idea weather to like him or hate him. I vote against hating him. But she thinks against it. I'm confused why she doesn't want to hate him. Her sister says his twin brother likes her. She likes him back. So I personly think this is a super super small world.

LifesIllusion BRONZE, Cicero, Indiana

"Don't let your fears slow you down. Instead, chase them down and beat them."

Haven't we all been there? It sure feels like it. I know the pain seems unbearable but we can all get through it. It took me months to get over my ex after he just suddenly became a different person. Sometimes I still don't understand what happened but it was devestating at the time. Well I LOVED your article:) CHECK OUT MY WORK! thanks.

thejesusfreak SILVER, Bradenton, Florida

"ok so your hated... so what? Embrace it! you are who you are and dont forget it."

The same thing happened to me about four months ago. I'm still recovering for the unbearable pain it caused me to hear about EVERYTHING they did. I had known her since kindergarden and she stole him away... I relate... If you wanna talk you can talk with me.

musiclover114 SILVER, Woodstock, Georgia

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.

born an original, why die a copy?

I spent the most amazing 9 months with a guy. He was the only guy id ever loved. Then out of the blue he dumped. we didnt talk for 3 months, but saw each other every day. then we slowly started talking again recently, and all those walls i had built back up fell back down. I fell in love with him all over again, i had my very best friend back. but last week he started ignoring me, so when i confronted him he said his mom had told him to stop talking to me, and it was like losing him all over again. My heart was once again borken, so yes. breakups suck! but i dont believe that going out and having more fun with another guy/girl is gonna help. you need to just spend some time being single, and wait until you find another guy or girl you have genuine feelings for...(:

XxLoveDrunkxX BRONZE, Baltimore, Maryland
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Never Say Never
Love Hurts
i hate sundays

i can really relate to this me and my ex BF ben broke up...well he broke up with me after 2 months he made me feel so happy i was never a person with good self esteem but he made me feel good about my self he ended up cheateding on me i was extremly hurt i still am he's with one of my friend's ex gf Ben i miss you </3

Mynameislindsayy SILVER, Seattle, Washington

"I'd rather just except who I am, what's the use of trying to change?"

Breakup sucks. I can relate. I went out with a boy for a year. Everything was going so well and he randomly broke up with me. When I asked him why he told me he was in love with my best friend that has been my friend sinces first grade. I was the one to introduce them. I can't help but wish I never did.

rachelwilson SILVER, Paris, Tennessee

"I went thirty minutes without seeing something of remebrance to you.. but then again,.. my eyes were closed.." -Rachel Wilson

I've been there, went through that. I've heard all the promises, all the compliments. In the end he ended it because I won't "do stuff" with him. Guess his defintion of love was different than mine. Check out my work. You'll find two peoms I wrote to channel my pain with about the break up! Thanks.